Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › I Have No Idea What I'm Doing, Please Help. (DT990 Amp/DAC)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing, Please Help. (DT990 Amp/DAC)

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I just bought a pair of DT990's(600 ohm), great right? Well I have virtually no knowledge of what an amp is, never mind a good one.

 

Here's the plan,

 

  • I want to come out from my Mac Mini with an optical cable, then connect directly to a combination DAC/Amp that is a great quality.
  • I'm willing to spend $200-$300 but am open to suggestions,
  • I want my headphones to be properly powered with a neutral output from the amp itself.
  • I would like the amp to have 2 audio outputs because I have a pair of desktop speakers that need to be plugged in as well (they are crap).

Please, any basic knowledge about this thrown my way would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your input!


EDIT: What's all this I'm reading about upsampling?


Edited by knwtmsyn - 10/25/12 at 7:11pm
post #2 of 7

Yulong D100 mkII

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608098/review-yulong-d100-mkii-dac-an-update-to-an-already-excellent-device

 

I wouldn't go cheaper myself and I also don't like the nuforce devices - mass market crap if you ask me.

post #3 of 7
Did you post to r/headphones earlier? I believe I replied there as well with the Audio-gd NFB-12.1 would be a good choice. I only got a brief listen on one but I liked it quite a lot. It's a combo DAC/AMP unit that's got plenty of power for your 600 Ohm cans, it's got a DAC out for your speakers and takes USB, Optical and Coax SPDIF in.

NFB-12.1 link


EDIT: TwoEars, that's at least 50% out of his price range. They go for $480 from Grant Fidelity.
Edited by Uberbob102000 - 10/25/12 at 11:40pm
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbob102000 View Post

Did you post to r/headphones earlier? I believe I replied there as well with the Audio-gd NFB-12.1 would be a good choice. I only got a brief listen on one but I liked it quite a lot. It's a combo DAC/AMP unit that's got plenty of power for your 600 Ohm cans, it's got a DAC out for your speakers and takes USB, Optical and Coax SPDIF in.
NFB-12.1 link
EDIT: TwoEars, that's at least 50% out of his price range. They go for $450 or there about AFAIK

 

yes, I was there too. I think your suggestion is one that I am really considering. Do you own these? What does Filter and OS mean? If "gain" is low, does that mean the volume will be raised at a lower rate? Also, if I use something with high impedance at a good volume level, and them plug in headphones with low impedance, will they be destroyed? So this is a combination DAC/amp but it can also be used as a passthrough DAC only?
 

EDIT: Are Chinese audio products really that reliable?


Edited by knwtmsyn - 10/25/12 at 11:58pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knwtmsyn View Post

 

yes, I was there too. I think your suggestion is one that I am really considering. Do you own these? What does Filter and OS mean? If "gain" is low, does that mean the volume will be raised at a lower rate? Also, if I use something with high impedance at a good volume level, and them plug in headphones with low impedance, will they be destroyed? So this is a combination DAC/amp but it can also be used as a pass through DAC only?
 

EDIT: Are Chinese audio products really that reliable?

The lower gain setting is for low Ohm headphones, the high gain for high Ohm headphones.

Hopefully you will turn the volume down before switching headphones.

It appears the "DAC OUT" is a line-out analog audio signal, kind of wonder why it's not labeled "ANALOG OUT"?

Maybe it's a language thing?

So you should be able to connect the "DAC OUT" to powered speakers,

or to a separate speaker amplifier.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The lower gain setting is for low Ohm headphones, the high gain for high Ohm headphones.

Hopefully you will turn the volume down before switching headphones.

It appears the "DAC OUT" is a line-out analog audio signal, kind of wonder why it's not labeled "ANALOG OUT"?

Maybe it's a language thing?

So you should be able to connect the "DAC OUT" to powered speakers,

or to a separate speaker amplifier.


it seems that this dac/amp is pretty good. Are there any dac/amps that do not have a filter, but simply supplies more power without adding character? Is this something that just isn't possible, or practical since the headphones have a character of their own anyways? Would I lose anything from what I was listening to if I had an equalizer on my source AND a filter or equalizer on my amp?

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knwtmsyn View Post


It seems that this DAC/amp is pretty good. Are there any DAC/amps that do not have a filter, but simply supplies more power without adding character? Is this something that just isn't possible, or practical since the headphones have a character of their own anyways? Would I lose anything from what I was listening to if I had an equalizer on my source AND a filter or equalizer on my amp?

Personally, I'm not fully understanding the OS and Filter settings.

Try posting questions about the NFB-12.1 on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/524263/audio-gd-nfb-12

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › I Have No Idea What I'm Doing, Please Help. (DT990 Amp/DAC)