Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Beyerdynamic DT 770/80 vs Custom One Pro's Quick Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT 770/80 vs Custom One Pro's Quick Comparison

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clearly I'm not a pro at this but here goes something... 

 

After not feeling 100% satisfied with my T 70's I wanted a little more Umph in the bottom end so I found great deals on the DT 770/80 ($149 new eBay- Contact me if you want the link they have more plus a 60 day return policy... Yes 60 days no questions asked) and the COP ($189 Amazon-Currently you can get them for $162). I'm still not finished with the testing but so far I do agree with what some have said so far. The DT770/80's have a much crisper sound than the Custom One Pro's but thats not a knock against the COP which I like but it is what it is. I actually put them up against my HIFI-780's and the COP won hands down and I sold my 780's which again I loved.

 

Now to the direct comparison and I'll break this down to make it simple and quick

 

Comfort: Tie -  The COP's are super light weight, zero clamp, and soft leather pads while the 770's are a little heavier with a slight clamp but the Velour pads are amazingly comfortable. Not as comfortable as the DT 990/250's but honestly nothing I've ever worn before can compete with the comfort of those bad boys. I told my wife I was going to make a Velour jumpsuit out of those pads... She shook her head and quickly walked away. 

 

Portability: COP - 16ohm speakers... Nuff said. You need to amp the 770's for them to reach their full potential but running them through my Macbook Pro I got great results. My e11 does ok but I think its time for a change but not sure what to change to, a little help would be nice for those of you that are amp savvy 

 

Soundstage: DT 770/80 - This is where the tide changes and stays in favor of the 770's. The sound stage is amazing for a closed can and it has the best depth of any headphone I've tested/owned. Using them with my Astro Mixamp 5.8 is redonk!! The bass you would think would get in the way and yes its clearly there but it doesn't get in the way at all. Playing BF3 on my 360 good luck sneaking up on me because the distance and direction is better than the best "gaming" headsets I've tested. I'm a sneaky C4 junky so sitting and waiting for tanks has never been easier. And when the boom comes the bass is eye popping and always giggle inducing. Now on the other hand the COP are no slouches either, but the bass feels a little muddy and the separation is good but cant compete but honestly, what can?? 

 

Highs: DT 770/80 - They just come through cleaner and more relaxed but neither has the it factor in this area. The COP's are brighter and seem to pop out a little better but at the same time can get fatiguing at higher volumes. While I was A/B the two this was the biggest difference IMO. The COP's highs are right in your face aggressive and at times it feels like they're trying to hard. That is where the 16ohm ratings are at a disadvantage because being that easy to run is nice an all until you wanna turn the volume up and it feels like your ear drums are gonna pop.

 

Midrange: DT 770/80 - Not as recessed which will be shocking to most that know the 770's because they have pretty recessed mids in the first place but for the type of music I listen to with these they work. If I wanted to High and Mid myself to death I have the T 70's for that :) I think the real problem with the midrange on the COP's is the the fact the the highs and lows just simply overwhelm the mids and because the separation isn't that great it makes it hard for the mids to come through.

 

Bass: DT 770/80 - This one I thought was going to be a toss up but it was not. At first when you pick up the COP's of course the first thing you want to do is crank the switch to the 4th and final position throw on some dub and get to work!! And at first its like yes this is nice, but once your ears stop ringing from all the Robot sex you start to listen and notice how bloated the bass is and how hard its working to keep up with the music you're putting through it. At higher volumes notes were missed, drops were sloppy, and general sadness started to kick in. Once the volume was returned to a normal state things improved greatly. Now the 770's on other hand were cool and collected regardless of what I put them through and at all volumes. The levels didn't increase with the volume and they remained steady throughout the entire process. What was funny was that the only time I felt they were limited was when I put them through my e11 hence the reason I say its time to move on. Soundstage was reduced and the bass got bloated regardless of the settings. Clear winner in the category.

 

Isolation and sound leakage: Tie - Isolation goes to the 770's but The COP's do a better job at keeping all the sound in your head and not in your neighbors lap.

 

Overall thats 4 wins for the DT 770/80's 1 win for the COP's and 2 ties giving the clear and decisive win to the 770's. I like what Beyer did here with the COP's. They clearly were going for the commercial sound and if compared to the Beats and Sol's of the world they win hands down in almost every way possible except for being overpriced. Beats will win that battle almost every time.

 

Which one you buy is ultimately up to you and hopefully I gave you some useful information to make the choice a little easier and if I didn't oh well, at least I had fun in the process. Thanks for the read and please throw out your suggestions for a good portable Amp under $160 that will do a better job than the e11 or gives a different sound signature.

 

Thanks again and Take Care

 

P.S. I'm not to proud to bump myself if I have to :) 

 

basshead.gif

post #2 of 97
Thread Starter 

Bump tongue_smile.gif

 

see

post #3 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post

Bump tongue_smile.gif

 

see

 

Ha ha :D Thanks for the excellent review and comparisons DemonFox. I agree totally about the Beyerdynamic DT 770. I picked up the 250 ohm version earlier this month and have not used any of my other fifteen headphones since. It really gives me everything i want for music, gaming and movies from my computer connected to my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever. I feel am playing games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim etc for the very first time hearing things i have never heard to the point where it almost feels like i was playing them wrong all these years. Am picking up things in music none of my other headphones or bookshelf speakers pick up like the first micro-second of a song where i actually heard one of the band members talking or musical tones lasting much more longer due to being more audible. Comfort and isolation are great thanks to the thick pillow like cushion ear pads though not as isolating as my other favorite the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro which have an almost ear plug effect due to their vice grip clamping force :D

 

With the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO am completely satisfied and doubt i'll get another headphone. To get a speaker equivalent would probably cost half a grand easy for this kind of quality.

 

By the way thats some sexy head gear photo shooting evil_smiley.gif


Edited by Hellbishop - 10/25/12 at 3:13pm
post #4 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbishop View Post

 

Ha ha :D Thanks for the excellent review and comparisons DemonFox. I agree totally about the Beyerdynamic DT 770. I picked up the 250 ohm version earlier this month and have not used any of my other fifteen headphones since. It really gives me everything i want for music, gaming and movies from my computer connected to my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever. I feel am playing games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim etc for the very first time hearing things i have never heard to the point where it almost feels like i was playing them wrong all these years. Am picking up things in music none of my other headphones or bookshelf speakers pick up like the first micro-second of a song where i actually heard one of the band members talking or musical tones lasting much more longer due to being more audible. Comfort and isolation are great thanks to the thick pillow like cushion ear pads though not as isolating as my other favorite the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro which have an almost ear plug effect due to their vice grip clamping force :D

 

With the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO am completely satisfied and doubt i'll get another headphone. To get a speaker equivalent would probably cost half a grand easy for this kind of quality.

 

By the way thats some sexy head gear photo shooting evil_smiley.gif

 

Thank you!! 

 

Yah, I have no idea why I waited so long to buy these and they are everything that everyone seems to make them out to be. I've yet to run them through my Pioneer Elite VSX-32 for movies but I'm sure they sing like no other! Yah when those pics came out I was quite proud of myself biggrin.gif So do you use your 770's just with your Onkyo or do you use them with a portable amp?? I don't have my man cave set up yet so no room for a desktop amp as of now so I primarily use portables. I have the e11 and recently got the Fiio Rocky E02i but that was a fail so I'm on the search for a better portable any suggestions?? 

 

And thanks again for reading and responding 

post #5 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post

 

Thank you!! 

 

Yah, I have no idea why I waited so long to buy these and they are everything that everyone seems to make them out to be. I've yet to run them through my Pioneer Elite VSX-32 for movies but I'm sure they sing like no other! Yah when those pics came out I was quite proud of myself biggrin.gif So do you use your 770's just with your Onkyo or do you use them with a portable amp?? I don't have my man cave set up yet so no room for a desktop amp as of now so I primarily use portables. I have the e11 and recently got the Fiio Rocky E02i but that was a fail so I'm on the search for a better portable any suggestions?? 

 

And thanks again for reading and responding 

 

Your welcome, thanks for taking the time to share.

 

No amp just my Onkyo. I havent gotten into the whole amp thing. Dont know if i ever will. Am a old stereo reciever or straight from the pc guy since i was a wee lad thanks to my dad owning a tv and radio repair shop back in the days. I try to keep it simple even if i do have passive Insignia Bass Reflex NSB211 bookshelf speakers hooked up to the Onkyo and Cerwin Vega XD3 powered speakers to the pc to give the Onkyo a rest sometimes after running it constantly for the past two years. I have a Sansa Fuze for outside but i use some Shure SE115 iems with them so no need for an amp.

 

Cheers :D

post #6 of 97

DemonFox, how would you compare the COP and DT770 Pro to the T 70?

post #7 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post

DemonFox, how would you compare the COP and DT770 Pro to the T 70?

 

Well the T 70's have a completely different sound signature than any other Beyers that I've owned. Much sharper and brighter than I expected and much less bass than I expected too. The overall package though is still quite good. The T 70's are more comfortable than both, IMO they look better than both, even though they are 250ohm I feel they are still easier to run than the 770/80 and aren't as jumpy as the COP's. I love them personally but unfortunately they don't suit my taste so I'm selling them... I think... confused.gif. I know as soon as they leave my house I'm going to regret it but its for the best. As amazing as they are they just don't fit what I need. Honestly, if they had bass that was close to the 770's we would have the perfect can I would call it a day and wouldn't have to go on searching for another can for a long long time. But they don't. So where next I have no idea... I was thinking the DT 990/32 but they are open back so the isolation is out the window. The Edition 8 is top on my list to try/own but until I can sell everything I own I don't stand a chance at owning them anytime soon :( 

 

So does anyone know of a close can with good isolation, easy to run off of portable devices like laptops and iPhones, comfortable (No vice like clamp) strong quick bass, and a wide soundstage?? Me neither... The COP's were oh so close to being that perfect mix but fail short, and the 770's are probably the closest but the sound leakage and long cable do not make them great for travel or taking them out in public.. Not to mention I would have to carry a portable amp or my Laptop around with them just to get the most of of them...

 

Sigh...

 

Oh well, back to the hunt biggrin.gif

post #8 of 97

You may want to checkout the V-Moda M100 and Logitech UE 6000, they're both getting great reviews and although they might not necessarily be basshead cans they do both have somewhat of a bass emphasis. Also the Sennheiser Momentum but they seem to be behind the other two in overall sound quality. All three are circumaural and should work really well for portable listening.

post #9 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

You may want to checkout the V-Moda M100 and Logitech UE 6000, they're both getting great reviews and although they might not necessarily be basshead cans they do both have somewhat of a bass emphasis. Also the Sennheiser Momentum but they seem to be behind the other two in overall sound quality. All three are circumaural and should work really well for portable listening.

 

You know, I've been looking into the fabled never releasing M100. I've only seen some pictures and CNET had a little piece on them but I don't know. I had the Crossfade LP's and liked what I saw but there was a matter of the sound and it was kind of Junk. They sounded like the Beats without the bass. No depth no substance just loud noises. The M-80 have been very popular but again I'm not quite sold on them yet but I do need to take a look and when they become available and the reviews start flowing I have a better idea. Have you heard anything about them yet? Or has anyone done a pre-release review that you know of?? 

post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post

You know, I've been looking into the fabled never releasing M100. I've only seen some pictures and CNET had a little piece on them but I don't know. I had the Crossfade LP's and liked what I saw but there was a matter of the sound and it was kind of Junk. They sounded like the Beats without the bass. No depth no substance just loud noises. The M-80 have been very popular but again I'm not quite sold on them yet but I do need to take a look and when they become available and the reviews start flowing I have a better idea. Have you heard anything about them yet? Or has anyone done a pre-release review that you know of?? 

 

Yep, a whole bunch of people have already received their pre-order M100's and they will go on sale to the general public very soon, most likely before Christmas. Initial reports are extremely positive from pretty much everyone (not just the infamous V-Moda fan boys). You can expect these to sound WAY better than the Crossfade LPs which got mediocre reviews. Checkout this thread. There should be 1 or 2 more M100 threads around here as well just do a search. Tyll Hertsens and Steve Guttenberg will be doing reviews soon as well. They have both been very impressed with the sound quality and they are relatively hard to please.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews


Edited by devhen - 10/26/12 at 3:19pm
post #11 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Yep, a whole bunch of people have already received their pre-order M100's and they will go on sale to the general public very soon, most likely before Christmas. Initial reports are extremely positive from pretty much everyone (not just the infamous V-Moda fan boys). You can expect these to sound WAY better than the Crossfade LPs which got mediocre reviews. Checkout this thread. There should be 1 or 2 more M100 threads around here as well just do a search. Tyll Hertsens and Steve Guttenberg will be doing reviews soon as well. They have both been very impressed with the sound quality and they are relatively hard to please.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews

 

Thats a great link thank you!! 

post #12 of 97

Do you think you could compare the Custom Ones to the DT990 pro? :)

post #13 of 97

I would be really interested in a head-to-head comparison between the M-100 and the COP.  COP is at $150 on Amazon now (edit: was, jumped back to the $160 range again).


Been trying to decide between the DT770/DT880/COP/ATH-900X/M-100 for a few weeks now.  The M-100 is tempting, but significantly more expensive than the others on the list, and not sure it will drop much below the $300 MSRP when it's released.


Edited by automaton - 10/29/12 at 6:24am
post #14 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoaster View Post

Do you think you could compare the Custom Ones to the DT990 pro? :)

 

Thats an easy one :) They do not... Outside of being easier to run there is not other are that the COP's can top the DT990 pro's. The 990 pro's IMHO are some of the most underrated cans on the market today. They have amazing tight bass, a huge sound stage, and are the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. Now obviously with them being open back and 250ohm they are meant for home so that can limit them and how they are used but if you are looking for a pair for the home you can't do better for $199 or less!! eBay always has great deals on them so if you want a pair thats where you go. Hopefully this answers some of your questions and if you have others please let me know!

post #15 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post

I would be really interested in a head-to-head comparison between the M-100 and the COP.  COP is at $150 on Amazon now (edit: was, jumped back to the $160 range again).


Been trying to decide between the DT770/DT880/COP/ATH-900X/M-100 for a few weeks now.  The M-100 is tempting, but significantly more expensive than the others on the list, and not sure it will drop much below the $300 MSRP when it's released.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and how you plan on using them. The M-100 and COP is a great comparison and needs to happen!! I think it will be a wash and ultimately you'd be better off with the COP's. Now of course that is a blind impression but chances are the Beyers are going to sound better IMO. I had the Crossfade LP's and I was not impressed at all!! They spent more time, money, and research on the packaging and the build quality than they did the sound... Instead of dropping them 700 times to test how strong they are they should have been working on stopping the highs and lows from cracking at moderately high volumes!! I only paid $77 (new) for the LP's and couldn't get ride of them fast enough... 

 

So what are you looking for? What type of can and what do you want to get out of them?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Beyerdynamic DT 770/80 vs Custom One Pro's Quick Comparison