I have a set of Beyer DT770s 80Ohm.
I recently bought a Creative X-Fi Surround HD USB soundcard. It sounds fantastic BUT the THX TruStudio Surround Pro sucks big time, and when I'm taking a break from music listening to game it is a NO GO. I have heard Dolby Headphone before and this cannot compare. The on-board amp does drive my headphones very well though.
So to get Dolby Headphone I've come up with 2 choices:
1) Xonar DG optical out to FiiO E17 optical in and connect Headphones to E17 (Note that I WON'T use the E17 as a portable DAC/AMP as my Sennheiser IE80s don't need them and I appreciate carrying less for now :P )
2) Xonar Essence ST alone using it's built in headphone amiplifier
My question is:
1) Which option should I go for? I'm favouring option 2 as it has the least amount of equipment I need to configure to get the sound I want
2) Which option will be able to drive the headphones better or would they both do it just as well with little noticeable, if any difference?
3) Or if you have another suggestion, what is your option?
Thanks guys, appreciate your time taken to help a newbie here. Cheers!