- 59 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: China
- Select All Posts By This User
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best all-rounder for ~$300 new or used? Last post on 12/31/14 at 8:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are some good quad-driver balanced armature universal fit in ear monitors? Last post on 8/6/14 at 7:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ] Last post on Yesterday at 5:26 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Comply tips User with Westone W4R need advice on better like The Westone STAR silicon tips and... Last post on 7/12/14 at 6:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choose Westone W40 or W4R or UM PRO 30 or UM3XRC Last post on 6/29/14 at 9:38am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Firstly I want to thank a local NZ Head-Fier (AudioDHD) for allowing me to spend some time...
Not a whole lot to add that others have mentioned. I would have liked a traveling case included instead of a pouch, but I will let that slide for a couple of reasons. First is that the box that...
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Earphones wont produce hiss on their own. They only put out what they're taking in... in other words, it's more likely that it's your source and not your W4's. Have you tried plugging different earphones in to see if the hiss is still there. Or tried plugging the W4's into something else?
Thank you for your advice.
When i plugged it directly to my imac, the hiss is still there, but when i tried it directly to my iphone, the hiss is gone.
Do you think it might be the power/electricity from my imac? do you think a power conditioning will help?
Edited by louis9 - 10/24/12 at 9:12pm
It's most likely your computer. Have you tried using the DAC portion of the E17? Use the USB cable that came w/ the E17 and plug that between your mac and E17. You might also need to go to system preferences -> sound, and then make sure the Output is the USB DAC. If it still has hiss there, it might also be due to the E17. If that helps it, then I would then try using another amp to your doc (if you have one.) This would be the best way to isolate and confirm that the hiss is from your computer alone.
When I plus my IEM's into my macbook pro, I get tons of hiss, so i always have to use a DAC/amp with it.
Honestly, I'm not sure. From what I understand, the E9 dock is its own DAC and bypasses the DAC in the E17. I'm thinking the E9's DAC is faulty... or you're somehow not using it and it's using the mac's sound card (which is hissy.)
I would maybe try contacting FiiO about this and tell them what's happened and maybe they'll send you a new one? It's worth a shot.
edit: My apologies. I don't really follow FiiO products, so I assumed the E09k is a DAC. I just looked into it a bit and it's actually an amp. Hopefully someone w/ more experience with FiiO docks can chime in and help... but I'm assuming since it's an amp, it only needs the E17 for its DAC? If that's so, then it's somehow causing your E17 to not use its DAC and using your computer's sound card, which is giving you the hiss. Either way, I would contact FiiO and tell them that you're getting a bunch of hiss, and that the hiss goes away once you only use the E17 as a DAC/Amp, but it comes back when you use the E17 + E09K combo.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!
Edited by PANGES - 10/24/12 at 10:17pm
I just purchased an E17+E09K bundle that's exhibiting the exact same problem (including level imbalance at low volumes) when run through the E09K. The E17 alone has no hiss whatsoever. Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?
It sounds like obviously the e09k is the problem if you are recieving better quality with just the e17 then thats somewhat a plus....but iems can have a tendency to produce hisses or noises that say a higher end amp this will not be present.
Sometimes you have to give and take. Like the jds labs c421 has channel imbalance at lower volumes but its still a great amp just a annoyance.
- Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 49 seconds ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 1 minute ago
- › In search of a pillow 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 1 minute ago
- › Double Helix Cables Thread 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...