- 58 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: China
- Select All Posts By This User
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best all-rounder for ~$300 new or used? Last post on 12/31/14 at 8:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are some good quad-driver balanced armature universal fit in ear monitors? Last post on 8/6/14 at 7:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ] Last post on 3/3/15 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Comply tips User with Westone W4R need advice on better like The Westone STAR silicon tips and... Last post on 7/12/14 at 6:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choose Westone W40 or W4R or UM PRO 30 or UM3XRC Last post on 6/29/14 at 9:38am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Earphones wont produce hiss on their own. They only put out what they're taking in... in other words, it's more likely that it's your source and not your W4's. Have you tried plugging different earphones in to see if the hiss is still there. Or tried plugging the W4's into something else?
Thank you for your advice.
When i plugged it directly to my imac, the hiss is still there, but when i tried it directly to my iphone, the hiss is gone.
Do you think it might be the power/electricity from my imac? do you think a power conditioning will help?
Edited by louis9 - 10/24/12 at 9:12pm
It's most likely your computer. Have you tried using the DAC portion of the E17? Use the USB cable that came w/ the E17 and plug that between your mac and E17. You might also need to go to system preferences -> sound, and then make sure the Output is the USB DAC. If it still has hiss there, it might also be due to the E17. If that helps it, then I would then try using another amp to your doc (if you have one.) This would be the best way to isolate and confirm that the hiss is from your computer alone.
When I plus my IEM's into my macbook pro, I get tons of hiss, so i always have to use a DAC/amp with it.
Honestly, I'm not sure. From what I understand, the E9 dock is its own DAC and bypasses the DAC in the E17. I'm thinking the E9's DAC is faulty... or you're somehow not using it and it's using the mac's sound card (which is hissy.)
I would maybe try contacting FiiO about this and tell them what's happened and maybe they'll send you a new one? It's worth a shot.
edit: My apologies. I don't really follow FiiO products, so I assumed the E09k is a DAC. I just looked into it a bit and it's actually an amp. Hopefully someone w/ more experience with FiiO docks can chime in and help... but I'm assuming since it's an amp, it only needs the E17 for its DAC? If that's so, then it's somehow causing your E17 to not use its DAC and using your computer's sound card, which is giving you the hiss. Either way, I would contact FiiO and tell them that you're getting a bunch of hiss, and that the hiss goes away once you only use the E17 as a DAC/Amp, but it comes back when you use the E17 + E09K combo.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!
Edited by PANGES - 10/24/12 at 10:17pm
I just purchased an E17+E09K bundle that's exhibiting the exact same problem (including level imbalance at low volumes) when run through the E09K. The E17 alone has no hiss whatsoever. Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?
It sounds like obviously the e09k is the problem if you are recieving better quality with just the e17 then thats somewhat a plus....but iems can have a tendency to produce hisses or noises that say a higher end amp this will not be present.
Sometimes you have to give and take. Like the jds labs c421 has channel imbalance at lower volumes but its still a great amp just a annoyance.
- Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 29 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 43 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 58 seconds ago
- › Any DAC/Amps that can bypass iPod Classic DAC? 1 minute ago
- › WTB Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 2 minutes ago
- › Meze = Esmooth? 3 minutes ago
- › In-ears for female friend under $100? 7 minutes ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2