- 31 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 3/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- W4R Versus SE535 Last post on Yesterday at 11:52 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WANTED: Westone UM3X rc or Weston 4r Last post on 11/11/13 at 10:52am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- WANTED: Westone UM3X RC or Westone 4r Last post on 11/12/13 at 6:53am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Westone 4R Last post on 11/18/13 at 5:43pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- IEM question in relation to flax vs flax vinyl rips Last post on 11/10/13 at 10:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/23/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 5/29/13
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!post #1 of 1010/24/12 at 5:14pmThread StarterHello guys, I have a hissing sound coming out my westone 4R, even the volume on the amps is zero, it makes me fatigue after listening for an hour... This is my current setting, Imac+Fiio E17 with E09K dock.... How do i eliminate the hissing sound? Thanks.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1010/24/12 at 8:55pm
Earphones wont produce hiss on their own. They only put out what they're taking in... in other words, it's more likely that it's your source and not your W4's. Have you tried plugging different earphones in to see if the hiss is still there. Or tried plugging the W4's into something else?post #3 of 1010/24/12 at 9:10pmThread Starter
Thank you for your advice.
When i plugged it directly to my imac, the hiss is still there, but when i tried it directly to my iphone, the hiss is gone.
Do you think it might be the power/electricity from my imac? do you think a power conditioning will help?
Edited by louis9 - 10/24/12 at 9:12pmpost #4 of 1010/24/12 at 9:29pmQuote:
It's most likely your computer. Have you tried using the DAC portion of the E17? Use the USB cable that came w/ the E17 and plug that between your mac and E17. You might also need to go to system preferences -> sound, and then make sure the Output is the USB DAC. If it still has hiss there, it might also be due to the E17. If that helps it, then I would then try using another amp to your doc (if you have one.) This would be the best way to isolate and confirm that the hiss is from your computer alone.
When I plus my IEM's into my macbook pro, I get tons of hiss, so i always have to use a DAC/amp with it.post #5 of 1010/24/12 at 9:47pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1010/24/12 at 10:10pmQuote:
Honestly, I'm not sure. From what I understand, the E9 dock is its own DAC and bypasses the DAC in the E17. I'm thinking the E9's DAC is faulty... or you're somehow not using it and it's using the mac's sound card (which is hissy.)
I would maybe try contacting FiiO about this and tell them what's happened and maybe they'll send you a new one? It's worth a shot.
edit: My apologies. I don't really follow FiiO products, so I assumed the E09k is a DAC. I just looked into it a bit and it's actually an amp. Hopefully someone w/ more experience with FiiO docks can chime in and help... but I'm assuming since it's an amp, it only needs the E17 for its DAC? If that's so, then it's somehow causing your E17 to not use its DAC and using your computer's sound card, which is giving you the hiss. Either way, I would contact FiiO and tell them that you're getting a bunch of hiss, and that the hiss goes away once you only use the E17 as a DAC/Amp, but it comes back when you use the E17 + E09K combo.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!
Edited by PANGES - 10/24/12 at 10:17pmpost #7 of 1010/24/12 at 10:26pmThread Starterpost #8 of 1010/26/12 at 3:30pmpost #9 of 106/15/13 at 9:31am
I just purchased an E17+E09K bundle that's exhibiting the exact same problem (including level imbalance at low volumes) when run through the E09K. The E17 alone has no hiss whatsoever. Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?post #10 of 106/15/13 at 3:36pmThe w4r In my expierence isnt super sensitive like the say the 535 I havent expierenced aby hiss with ny w4r on a handful of amps.
It sounds like obviously the e09k is the problem if you are recieving better quality with just the e17 then thats somewhat a plus....but iems can have a tendency to produce hisses or noises that say a higher end amp this will not be present.
Sometimes you have to give and take. Like the jds labs c421 has channel imbalance at lower volumes but its still a great amp just a annoyance.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4R hissing sound..??!!!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Do you take good headphones with you when you go out? 21 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 23 seconds ago
- › HA-S600 Sound not... sounding 44 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › XBA-3/ XBA-30..The Appreciation thread. 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Best headphones for classical and opera $200 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi