Hi all. I had originally posted in the stickied suggestions thread, but my question got swamped by others' fairly quickly, so I'm starting a fresh thread. I'm looking for a set of headphones I can wear around the office to protect my sanity from the drama that occasionally erupts. Good isolation and minimal leakage are high priorities for me. I'll be listening to mostly pop/rock style music from a tablet/iPod. I'd originally been hoping to get something in the US$100 range, but from what I've gathered browsing reviews and stuff, a good set will cost at least $200. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for my first cans Last post on 11/27/12 at 4:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price Last post on 8/8/12 at 1:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Entry level Headphone Last post on 7/14/12 at 10:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
And this is how the descent into madness begins. Haha.
Tedathalan, the big recommendations thread is still a good place to start. Instead of posting there, try searching within it? In Head-Fi terms, your requirements seem to be:
- $100 (or $200, depending on budget)
In general, closed headphones won't leak much, so don't worry about that. They do differ in terms of isolation, which is what you want.
The Beyer DT 1350 is a good headphone, but I'm just concerned that it's expensive for you. I think it's a great sounding headphone (when I demo'd it), and it was comfortable for a short session, but I don't know how comfortable it is in the long haul.
Other standards include the Audio Technica M50 (should be <$150), Shure 440 (similar price). If you plan to leave the headphones in the office, consider a full-sized. Bulky, but generally good bang for buck.
If you are willing to use an amp with the ipod, you can get the dt770 Beyerdynamics for about 150 on ebay and a fiio e11 for about 50 bucks anywhere. That would be my pick, although very close to your budget. I agree with eric m50 and 440 are pretty decent unamped. shure 840 is at the top of the budget and I would suggest that over the 440 but thats just me.
- Seeking suggestions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What is an Audiophile, and what make headphones great? 2 minutes ago
- › Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 4 minutes ago
- › New: Brainwavz R3 5 minutes ago
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition Headphone Amplifier... 6 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 7 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5 Amplifier 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)