Hi all. I had originally posted in the stickied suggestions thread, but my question got swamped by others' fairly quickly, so I'm starting a fresh thread. I'm looking for a set of headphones I can wear around the office to protect my sanity from the drama that occasionally erupts. Good isolation and minimal leakage are high priorities for me. I'll be listening to mostly pop/rock style music from a tablet/iPod. I'd originally been hoping to get something in the US$100 range, but from what I've gathered browsing reviews and stuff, a good set will cost at least $200. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for my first cans Last post on 11/27/12 at 4:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price Last post on 8/8/12 at 1:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Entry level Headphone Last post on 7/14/12 at 10:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
And this is how the descent into madness begins. Haha.
Tedathalan, the big recommendations thread is still a good place to start. Instead of posting there, try searching within it? In Head-Fi terms, your requirements seem to be:
- $100 (or $200, depending on budget)
In general, closed headphones won't leak much, so don't worry about that. They do differ in terms of isolation, which is what you want.
The Beyer DT 1350 is a good headphone, but I'm just concerned that it's expensive for you. I think it's a great sounding headphone (when I demo'd it), and it was comfortable for a short session, but I don't know how comfortable it is in the long haul.
Other standards include the Audio Technica M50 (should be <$150), Shure 440 (similar price). If you plan to leave the headphones in the office, consider a full-sized. Bulky, but generally good bang for buck.
If you are willing to use an amp with the ipod, you can get the dt770 Beyerdynamics for about 150 on ebay and a fiio e11 for about 50 bucks anywhere. That would be my pick, although very close to your budget. I agree with eric m50 and 440 are pretty decent unamped. shure 840 is at the top of the budget and I would suggest that over the 440 but thats just me.
- Seeking suggestions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Less than $300 Over the Ear for my Teenage Son (who wants Beats!) 3 seconds ago
- › IC: Sennheiser IE80. Great condition but no cable. 52 seconds ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio FA-005 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › Headphone amp/dac 10 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 11 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)