Hi all. I had originally posted in the stickied suggestions thread, but my question got swamped by others' fairly quickly, so I'm starting a fresh thread. I'm looking for a set of headphones I can wear around the office to protect my sanity from the drama that occasionally erupts. Good isolation and minimal leakage are high priorities for me. I'll be listening to mostly pop/rock style music from a tablet/iPod. I'd originally been hoping to get something in the US$100 range, but from what I've gathered browsing reviews and stuff, a good set will cost at least $200. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 10/30/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for my first cans Last post on 11/27/12 at 4:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good Headphones under $300 Total Price Last post on 8/8/12 at 1:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Entry level Headphone Last post on 7/14/12 at 10:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
And this is how the descent into madness begins. Haha.
Tedathalan, the big recommendations thread is still a good place to start. Instead of posting there, try searching within it? In Head-Fi terms, your requirements seem to be:
- $100 (or $200, depending on budget)
In general, closed headphones won't leak much, so don't worry about that. They do differ in terms of isolation, which is what you want.
The Beyer DT 1350 is a good headphone, but I'm just concerned that it's expensive for you. I think it's a great sounding headphone (when I demo'd it), and it was comfortable for a short session, but I don't know how comfortable it is in the long haul.
Other standards include the Audio Technica M50 (should be <$150), Shure 440 (similar price). If you plan to leave the headphones in the office, consider a full-sized. Bulky, but generally good bang for buck.
If you are willing to use an amp with the ipod, you can get the dt770 Beyerdynamics for about 150 on ebay and a fiio e11 for about 50 bucks anywhere. That would be my pick, although very close to your budget. I agree with eric m50 and 440 are pretty decent unamped. shure 840 is at the top of the budget and I would suggest that over the 440 but thats just me.
- Seeking suggestions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 10 seconds ago
- › ADVICE WELCOME Some help on a New pair of In ears, a little stuck... 26 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › IEMs that are way low priced for it's sonic quality 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)