or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 vs HE500 - Page 64

post #946 of 1025

Make sure you go to the beginning of the video I recommended.

 

Sorry, but it's really worth the watch.

post #947 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Sense you was so kind to quote me and was unable to explain yourself with out doing so.  I guess you're blatantly calling me a snob.  Name calling is an utmost example of being rude.  Saying sorry for a rude post - in the same post does not show you're sorry at all.  I'll take it as that.  There's no place for name calling on this site.

 

FYI:  The bifrost comment just gave me a a better perspective on where you were coming from.  Again, I see now.

Look, your statement was not nice, at all. The haha part is a means of rubbing it in. Sorry but I used it as an example in context. Perhaps you could have expressed yourself in a friendlier fashion. Perhaps I should have not brought it up and just let it fade away.

post #948 of 1025

Yes you should have - PERIOD

post #949 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkwgk View Post
 

Make sure you go to the beginning of the video I recommended.

 

Sorry, but it's really worth the watch.

I wish certain folks would have seen this a few hours ago. I've been aware of these principals for decades, thanks for putting this up.

post #950 of 1025

Hi guy, I recently bought a hd800 sn 28xxx because I wanted to hear the "new" version.

 

I don't know if someone remembers that I prefered the HE500, and what i wrote about these two cans.

 

actually, the new hd800 is totally different, not bright at all, no sibilance, and plenty of bass. WTF happened??

post #951 of 1025

how much time has passed since you last listened to your older HD800?

post #952 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
 

how much time has passed since you last listened to your older HD800?

i owned one of the first models, and I listened to a 10xxx model about one year and half ago

 

my rig has been the same since i bought the firtst model

post #953 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasyrkh View Post
 

i owned one of the first models, and I listened to a 10xxx model about one year and half ago

 

my rig has been the same since i bought the firtst model


Your brain is playing games with you, I can confirm the sound has never changed :)

post #954 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 


Your brain is playing games with you, I can confirm the sound has never changed :)

i don't think so :)


Edited by Blasyrkh - 3/17/14 at 10:02am
post #955 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasyrkh View Post
 

i don't think so :)


I've compared 6 HD800's side by side (S.N ~ 5000's, 8000's, 14000's, 14000's, 22000's and 24000's). I've also compared mine with a coworkers at the Hi-Fi shop I work at (mines 147xx and his is in the 22000's too). I mentioned this in the HD800 thead before I believe.

 

And last year, our boutique represented Sennheiser at the "Salon Son & Image" audio convention in Montreal, where I asked Senn Canada's marketing head myself if there's any variance. He said no.

 

 

Unless since last summer, production things have changed... But I doubt they would have changed things. Last March Senn was at the 23000 mark in Serial numbers.


Edited by dleblanc343 - 3/17/14 at 10:09am
post #956 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 


I've compared 6 HD800's side by side (S.N ~ 5000's, 8000's, 14000's, 14000's, 22000's and 24000's). I've also compared mine with a coworkers at the Hi-Fi shop I work at (mines 147xx and his is in the 22000's too). I mentioned this in the HD800 thead before I believe.

 

And last year, our boutique represented Sennheiser at the "Salon Son & Image" audio convention in Montreal, where I asked Senn Canada's marketing head myself if there's any variance. He said no.

 

 

Unless since last summer, production things have changed... But I doubt they would have changed things. Last March Senn was at the 23000 mark in Serial numbers.

do you think that this:

and this:

are the same in the midrange/high spectrum?

 

maybe there aren't any kind of changes, but there's an unobjectable variation of frequency response.

on headroom there's a change in the FR too.

 

do you think someone could forget a piercing sibilance? do you think that the fact that ther's almost no sibilance, or at least less than the he500 i own and hd700 i owned till december,and that are less sibilant than the hd800 I listened to a couple of months before, is a mind trick? 

 

and i forgot, my first hd800 was less than 01xxx


Edited by Blasyrkh - 3/17/14 at 10:29am
post #957 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasyrkh View Post
 

do you think that this:

and this:

are the same in the midrange/high spectrum?

 

maybe there aren't any kind of changes, but there's an unobjectable variation of frequency response.

on headroom there's a change in the FR too.

 

do you think someone could forget a piercing sibilance? do you think that the fact that ther's almost no sibilance, or at least less than the he500 i own and hd700 i owned till december,and that are less sibilant than the hd800 I listened to a couple of months before, is a mind trick? 


It's simple, it's called product variation. Nothing will come out of a factory identical to the microscope.

 

The difference between S.N 15000 and 25000 could be the same as between S.N 15001 and 15002.

 

Think what you want, but I actually took hours of my time to actually test out this variance in sound, because I felt that if I wanted a concrete answer, I'd have to do it myself.

 

Also, measurements require many factors such positioning of the headphone on the dummy-mic, the condition of the pads, etc.

 

As for what you hear, it's all mental, even if you don't think so. I had the opposite reaction when I upgraded to the HD800 from the HE500; the highs didn't bother me. But after trying the HE500 again, my take on the HD800 changed a bit; so I had to adjust things. You really need to A/B in this hobby. Audio memory is like a void, honestly.


Edited by dleblanc343 - 3/17/14 at 10:34am
post #958 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 


It's simple, it's called product variation. Nothing will come out of a factory identical to the microscope.

 

The difference between S.N 15000 and 25000 could be the same as between S.N 15001 and 15002.

 

Think what you want, but I actually took hours of my time to actually test out this variance in sound, because I felt that if I wanted a concrete answer, I'd have to do it myself.

 

i don't think you are wrong, the headphones you tested maybe were similar.

 

maybe hd800 production is so delicate that the variation in more pronounced

post #959 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasyrkh View Post
 

 

i don't think you are wrong, the headphones you tested maybe were similar.

 

maybe hd800 production is so delicate that the variation in more pronounced


It's definitely really confusing, and sometimes annoying. I've been in your skin before for the same thing, except it was variance with the LCD3. You think you're going crazy but certainly are not. Of course, if something is different with the HD800, it's even more complicated because it is not known for varying much, unlike the LCD3 which had major production variance.

 

I think maybe shifting from a unforgiving/ neutral bright headphone to a forgiving, warm and natural headphone and then back could really change the way you hear too! I know my tastes in music changed as I went from some headphones to others with adaptation.

 

What counts is that the HD800 is more enjoyable to you now, and hopefully worth keeping! :D

post #960 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 


It's definitely really confusing, and sometimes annoying. I've been in your skin before for the same thing, except it was variance with the LCD3. You think you're going crazy but certainly are not. Of course, if something is different with the HD800, it's even more complicated because it is not known for varying much, unlike the LCD3 which had major production variance.

 

I think maybe shifting from a unforgiving/ neutral bright headphone to a forgiving, warm and natural headphone and then back could really change the way you hear too! I know my tastes in music changed as I went from some headphones to others with adaptation.

 

What counts is that the HD800 is more enjoyable to you now, and hopefully worth keeping! :D

 

the problem is that if i was not so sure, I would have never talked about it. i'm not talking about slight variations, but something more obvious....i'm talking about something that have always bothered me, sibilance/brightness.

 

i would not talk about differences in soundstage, or details, or dynamics, beacuse is something difficult to remember over years, at least for me.

 

sibilant pain is not forgot so easly, expecially if it's soemthing that have always bothered you. furthermore i am not the only one that noticed this....

 

if it's true that sennheiser didn't chage anything, maybe they are different because they are delicate cans that can show those faults if they are defected, and I owned a broken pair

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500