or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 vs HE500 - Page 63

post #931 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Elitist influenced by idle chatter. OK I see now.. No worries - carry on..  :cool:   ha ha ha...

The people in the marketing department just love that.

 

 

DId you read what I post above about me not being swayed by others, yet you keep spitting out nonsense about influenced and idle chatter - I guess not..  Yes I've heard the bifrost and others from Schiit ..

 

 

I thought we wasn't having this conversation anymore.   

 

Wall Street  Ha ha ha.. 


Edited by preproman - 2/20/14 at 11:52am
post #932 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

DId you read what I post above about me not being swayed by others, yet you keep spitting out nonsense about influenced and idle chatter - I guess not..  Yes I've heard the bifrost and others from Schiit ..

 

 

I thought we wasn't having this conversation anymore.   

 

Wall Street  Ha ha ha.. 

Your best skills are in being rude. You can keep it to yourself.

post #933 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Perhaps I have more firsthand experience than you might and am not so easily influenced by what people parrot on the forums. I listen carefully to what comes out of the cans. I work with people on Wall Street that buy expensive things that they can't even appreciate. Because of this I've listened to and sampled a large variety of equipment in a quiet setting not a noisy store or meetup. Once you get into decent DACs and Amps, the most significant differences are in the headphones that you plug into the amp. As far as amps go, a good tube amp will introduce some even order harmonic distortion that some people prefer. That will be more influential to the sound than a DAC (leave the $50 wonders out of this)

As long as you've experienced different gear. Often the SS folks like to argue purely based on objectivity. There's a place for that, if it's your thing. :)

 

Sure, the transducer yields the biggest of changes, I don't believe anyone is arguing otherwise. Who knows what headphones you've heard, maybe

they weren't resolving enough for you to appreciate these subtle changes? Maybe they were. It's hard to grasp clearly what you've experienced, ya know?

 

I think the point is you don't believe subtle changes amount to anything appreciable, real, measurable, etc while other's have direct different experiences. So it is what it is.

post #934 of 1025

I apologize to all that was way off topic and got carried away.

 

Now back to the HD800 vs. HE-500..  

post #935 of 1025
Some people just can't accept that amp/dac technology has maxed out( In terms of a human ear being able to appreciate any further improvement). I am so happy I can just concentrate on buying music and different / future upgrade headphones. I fooled myself for a while that more expensive amps/ dacs /cables would take things up a notch just like high res recordings. I'm glad I took my head out my arse and realised the truth . Now I listen to I tunes downloads on a good solid state amp with HD800s and I know my ears can't possibly appreciate any higher fidelity.
Edited by James-uk - 2/20/14 at 12:11pm
post #936 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

As long as you've experienced different gear. Often the SS folks like to argue purely based on objectivity. There's a place for that, if it's your thing. :)

 

Sure, the transducer yields the biggest of changes, I don't believe anyone is arguing otherwise. Who knows what headphones you've heard, maybe

they weren't resolving enough for you to appreciate these subtle changes? Maybe they were. It's hard to grasp clearly what you've experienced, ya know?

 

I think the point is you don't believe subtle changes amount to anything appreciable, real, measurable, etc while other's have direct different experiences. So it is what it is.

I've listened with top flight gear. My point is that subtle differences are not going to cure as some people think edginess or change a headphone's sound profile in any significant way. Other people make a sport out of tracking down the slightest differences. Others prefer to spend their time listening to music using good equipment. Unfortunately some people are into showing up others, I'd rather not get caught up with their psychology.

Myself, I'm not keen on getting deep into diminishing returns for the sake of it. The equipment is a means to an end, enjoying music. I find there's a point of balance where good things happen. I really don't care about any of the snobs that are out there.

post #937 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Some people just can't accept that amp/dac technology has maxed out( In terms of a human ear being able to appreciate any further improvement). I am so happy I can just concentrate on buying music and different / future upgrade headphones. I fooled myself for a while that more expensive amps/ dacs /cables would take things up a notch just like high res recordings. I'm glad I took my head out my arse and realised the truth . Now I listen to I tunes downloads on a good solid state amp with HD800s and I know my ears can't possibly appreciate any higher fidelity.

That's an honest and wise opinion.

post #938 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
 

Having now had the HE-500 for a few weeks after selling my HD-800 I can honestly say I would never go back to the Sennheiser...

 

Sorry for your loss, I sold my HE-500 a few months ago and I would never go back to them, honestly. 

post #939 of 1025
Quote:

Originally Posted by guido View Post
 

Having now had the HE-500 for a few weeks after selling my HD-800 I can honestly say I would never go back to the Sennheiser...

 

Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

Sorry for your loss, I sold my HE-500 a few months ago and I would never go back to them, honestly. 

I see a difference in tastes. I like to taste both of them. I was about to get a pair of HD800's but decided to experience a pair of Planars so I ended up with the HE-500's. You can tell what's next on my list, unless something else perks my ears.

post #940 of 1025
Some people just can't accept the fact that DACs / Amps / Headphone can all sound different.  
 
Once one has achieved a preference then it's time to find gear that fits one preference.  No one ever said anything about what's better or worse.  
 
In fact it was said a few of us no longer look for the highest level of detail or the absolute best at resolving.  If fact the preference that was giving was musicality above all other.  I know for a fact there's DACs that sound more musical than other.  If anyone thinks other wise  - well good for them.  I advise anyone to listen to as much gear as they possibly can -  develop a preference, then take it from there.
post #941 of 1025

Now that everyone's had their say, can we resume with the headphones. There are places more appropriate for discussing philosophies regarding DACs.

Can we all smile again?

post #942 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

The equipment is a means to an end, enjoying music. I find there's a point of balance where good things happen. I really don't care about any of the snobs that are out there.
So people who are interested in equipment as well as music are snobs by default I take it? Now who is the master of rudeness?
post #943 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


So people who are interested in equipment as well as music are snobs by default I take it? Now who is the master of rudeness?

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of snob. Being interested in equipment or music does not make someone a snob. Comments that use equipment as a means of elevating status or attempting to belittle another person is more like it.

Bifrost????  OK I see now.. No worries - carry on..  :cool:   ha ha ha...

 

Sorry to use the above example.

Enough already. At this point leave it alone.

post #944 of 1025

OK kids.  We're all in the same sandbox here.

 

For _all_, I highly recommend this video:

 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

 

It's a really good refresher on the human elements regarding sound perceptions and taste. 

 

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned I found my "line in the sand" (aka sweet spot, whatever) regarding may stopping point in buying audio equipment. It's a point I found where I'm really happy (like extremely happy) with what I have. 

 

(Let me put one more plug for watching the video.)

 

My point?   Go with your ears, go with your wallet, or go with what ever provides value/enjoyment/pride/whatever to you. 

 

OK kids. We're all in the same sandbox here.

post #945 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of snob. Being interested in equipment or music does not make someone a snob. Comments that use equipment as a means of elevating status or attempting to belittle another person is more like it.

Bifrost????  OK I see now.. No worries - carry on..  :cool:   ha ha ha...

 

Sorry to use the above example.

Enough already. At this point leave it alone.

 

Sense you was so kind to quote me and was unable to explain yourself with out doing so.  I guess you're blatantly calling me a snob.  Name calling is an utmost example of being rude.  Saying sorry for a rude post - in the same post does not show you're sorry at all.  I'll take it as that.  There's no place for name calling on this site.

 

FYI:  The bifrost comment just gave me a a better perspective on where you were coming from.  Again, I see now.


Edited by preproman - 2/20/14 at 4:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500