or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 vs HE500 - Page 53

post #781 of 1025
Yes I see what you mean now. I'm lucky this region doesn't seem to bother me , I think I would really like the HE500 because they have a very similar FR to the 800s including a peak at 6 kHz. I always assumed the infamous 6k peak was a problem with the ring radiator driver but the more I learn about how we hear things especially from a flat speaker in a treated room, and when I see other hp tuned with a 6k peak such as the He500 then I start to think maybe it was intentional. What do you think?
post #782 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-uk View Post

Yes I see what you mean now. I'm lucky this region doesn't seem to bother me , I think I would really like the HE500 because they have a very similar FR to the 800s including a peak at 6 kHz. I always assumed the infamous 6k peak was a problem with the ring radiator driver but the more I learn about how we hear things especially from a flat speaker in a treated room, and when I see other hp tuned with a 6k peak such as the He500 then I start to think maybe it was intentional. What do you think?

 

as written in the link you posted, the upper midrange (treble in that article) is what makes the sound livelier. We must remember that a note has harmonics too, that go far away from the fundamentals.

bumping up those frequencies you get a sense of air and details that affects even mids/lower-mids..... that's why many headphones have that bump.

 

 

but there's quite a difference between the HD800, and HE500....the bump is larger and much more pronounced in the HD800,even a couple of DB can make a difference

 

I also think that HD800s soundstage and air are part of a trick made by mids/trebles resonances


Edited by Blasyrkh - 1/12/14 at 4:50am
post #783 of 1025
^ +1
post #784 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 


This is the reason we can never agree on what we hear cuz we all hear differently.  I have a 6.5' grand piano sitting in my living room and I can tell you that the HE500 is not anywhere as nasty as you make it out to be.  To me, the HD800 sometimes injects too much detail/timbre into the sound. You don't hear this level of detail from a normal audience perspective.  So which one is more natural?  It really depends on who you ask.  For me when it comes to piano, HD800 = the player sit, HE500 = regular audience sit at a further distance away.  But I do agree that the HE500 smooths out a little too much of details sometimes.  I do prefer HD800 for violin and guitar, especially flamenco.

This should be helpful for you, your statements really confuse me :blink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669080/magical-trick-on-making-music-sound-better-clean-your-ears-like-a-pro

post #785 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Based on my experience and intensive comparison between HE500 and HD800, HD800 is the better one but not really by much to justify the price tag.  That's the only reason HD800 is not in my stable at home yet.  I personally find HE500 much more enjoyable overall.

 

Remember when people pay $1400 for something, they don't want to hear that it's only as good as something that cost $700.  :D It got to be better by as much as possible, always!


And here you are Koiloco...with the HD800 in your hands still confirming that the HE500 is STILL more musical and well-rounded

post #786 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post


And here you are Koiloco...with the HD800 in your hands still confirming that the HE500 is STILL more musical and well-rounded
This statement still stands after the HD800 purchase.
post #787 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

This should be helpful for you, your statements really confuse me blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669080/magical-trick-on-making-music-sound-better-clean-your-ears-like-a-pro
And what part r u confused about? I might attempt to clarify what I said if I can. Also, my ears are just fine and very clean. biggrin.gif
Edited by koiloco - 1/13/14 at 7:02pm
post #788 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 

This should be helpful for you, your statements really confuse me :blink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669080/magical-trick-on-making-music-sound-better-clean-your-ears-like-a-pro

I've been doing this as well. I happen to use peroxide contact solution, so I just take some of that. I usually mix it half and half with water to bring the concentration down to 1.5%, which after a quick google, is what people recommend putting in your ears.

post #789 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

This should be helpful for you, your statements really confuse me blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669080/magical-trick-on-making-music-sound-better-clean-your-ears-like-a-pro
It makes complete sense to me...
post #790 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

This should be helpful for you, your statements really confuse me blink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669080/magical-trick-on-making-music-sound-better-clean-your-ears-like-a-pro

I really hope this is not an excuse for the HD800 being drastically superior to the HE-500, because I can find many who back Koiloco and I.
post #791 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

^ Nope, just making a point on how a certain frequency relative to the rest of the graph is what defines elevated or recessed. If I were to take the HD800 graph and lower the entire frequency range by 10 dB, would you say it's a horrible headphone that's recessed throughout?

 

I'm about to watch another movie, and I'm planning on using the HD800 because of the weight advantage. It's late here, but if I were watching during the day, I'll probably just use HD800 from now on, and turn on the subwoofer in the background as well.

 

I think people don't realise that the graphs are always aligned at the 1 kHz mark. Different music and even different songs have different things going on at different frequencies which will affect how we perceive the sound from different headphones.  That's why I've always said that the two most important things when choosing headphones are music preferences, followed by how loud you like listening.

 

Then there's another problem: Inconsistency in the FR in individual models. Note the differences in the 2013 HD-800. Remember, again, that they are matched at the 1kHz point and probably wouldn't look so radically different if matched by aligning the graphs instead. Also, this doesn't describe how the drivers perform during the playback of music -- it is only the FR chart.

 

post #792 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post


I really hope this is not an excuse for the HD800 being drastically superior to the HE-500, because I can find many who back Koiloco and I.


Austin, I personally don't need anyone backing my belief and what I am hearing.  I am just voicing my impressions/comparison openly and honestly hoping that people who might be looking at purchasing these 2 HPs won't have false pre-conceptions.  If you happen to think the same as I do about something, it's cool.  If you are not, for me it's not a problem. 

post #793 of 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

I think people don't realise that the graphs are always aligned at the 1 kHz mark. Different music and even different songs have different things going on at different frequencies which will affect how we perceive the sound from different headphones.  That's why I've always said that the two most important things when choosing headphones are music preferences, followed by how loud you like listening.

 

Then there's another problem: Inconsistency in the FR in individual models. Note the differences in the 2013 HD-800. Remember, again, that they are matched at the 1kHz point and probably wouldn't look so radically different if matched by aligning the graphs instead. Also, this doesn't describe how the drivers perform during the playback of music -- it is only the FR chart.

 

+1. well said.

post #794 of 1025

The HD800 thread just got locked over some bass discussion that started when someone asked about how the HD800 bass compared to the HD600. It quickly devolved into some meaningless drivel. Gotta say I'm surprised it didn't happen here sooner. Guess cooler heads have prevailed over here. :o 

 

Edit: It looks like they unlocked it. It's definitely too powerful a thread.


Edited by Sonido - 1/13/14 at 11:59pm
post #795 of 1025

It's happening now because comparing the HD600's bass to the HD800's is funny. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500