Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 vs HE500 - Page 5

post #61 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I swear there must be a different version of the HE-6.  I can not ever get my pair to give me any kind of treble too emphasis at all.  I know what treble emphasis sounds like to...  "T70s, Pro 900s" to name a few.  The HE-6 don't come anywhere close to either of these.

 

What's the deal..  New or different version or what?

I think it's just because the headphone takes quite a bit to drive, and many people are under amping it, hence the splashy highs. Also, I do find the sound varies quite a bit depending on the chain you're using; maybe because of its very neutral frequency response.

 

But I'm one of those who acknowledges it can be bright, however, it's never ever harsh. It's just very resolving and some people don't necessarily enjoy that. I love it, and I want to hear everything the artist/producer put into the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Ok, I'll probably have to take that comment back. It is possible that the speaker amp that I tried HE6 with was too bright. As with any headphones, I really need to try HE6 for at least a few hours with several different sources and a variety of music from different genres to make a solid judgement on them. First impressions often don't mean much if anything. Sorry about the reckless comment guys.

 

If you run the HE-500 and HE-6 through the same set up (one that can drive the HE6 reasonably), you'll realized how similar they are more than anything (to me anyways while I still owned both). It's just that the HE-6 is more transparent, faster, images better, and obviously adds to the highs, giving the impression of less bass quantity. The bass response to me is more controlled and real, but not as visceral as the HE-500's with the mid bass hump. The HE-500 is an amazing headphone, and I miss it sometimes. The forgiveness of it while maintaining outstanding SQ is very impressive.

post #62 of 991

The HE-6 impressed me in a way that few high-end headphones have on a first listen. If I bought expensive headphones based entirely on sound alone then I'd surely own it by now. But comfort and other design factors are important to me when I'm paying over a grand for a headphone, and that along with its demanding amping requirements ruled the HE-6 out of consideration.

post #63 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

 

If you run the HE-500 and HE-6 through the same set up (one that can drive the HE6 reasonably), you'll realized how similar they are more than anything (to me anyways while I still owned both). It's just that the HE-6 is more transparent, faster, images better, and obviously adds to the highs, giving the impression of less bass quantity. The bass response to me is more controlled and real, but not as visceral as the HE-500's with the mid bass hump. The HE-500 is an amazing headphone, and I miss it sometimes. The forgiveness of it while maintaining outstanding SQ is very impressive.

 

 

I don't get this impression at all when compared to the 500s.  IMO the 500s bass will bleed into the mids at times.  The quantity of bass on the HE-6 (on my speaker amp) is noticeably difference when compared to the 500s on my headphone amps.  Remember, the HE-6 will scale up in all regions accordingly,  the 500s will not.  They have a limit.

post #64 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


I don't get this impression at all when compared to the 500s.  IMO the 500s bass will bleed into the mids at times.  The quantity of bass on the HE-6 (on my speaker amp) is noticeably difference when compared to the 500s on my headphone amps.  Remember, the HE-6 will scale up in all regions accordingly,  the 500s will not.  They have a limit.
I think once the wattage is found, going to more refined amps will help. The only difference between the 500s and 6s are the panel materials. As mentioned above, they are more alike than different. 85-90% comes to mind. But that 10-15% is in all the right places. I think you're right in that the aluminum traces can only sound so good.
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/26/12 at 8:39am
post #65 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


I think once the wattage is found, going to more refined amps will help. The only difference between the 500s and 6s are the panel materials. As mentioned above, they are more alike than different. 85-90% comes to mind. But that 10-15% is in all the right places. I think you're right in that the aluminum traces can only sound so good.

I think numbers wise this is right on and accurate. But to my ears that difference isn't quite marginal. The HE-6 kills the HE-500.

post #66 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


I don't get this impression at all when compared to the 500s.  IMO the 500s bass will bleed into the mids at times.  The quantity of bass on the HE-6 (on my speaker amp) is noticeably difference when compared to the 500s on my headphone amps.  Remember, the HE-6 will scale up in all regions accordingly,  the 500s will not.  They have a limit.

I totally agree that the bass of the HE6 is nowhere lacking or has less presence; it's the best bass i've heard in a headphone so far (better control than my lcd3). It's just that it blends better (more naturally )with the other freqs in comparison to the he500. The he500 does not have more bass, its just the slower decay makes the presence a bit longer and smoother vs the HE6's quicker punch and decay
post #67 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


I totally agree that the bass of the HE6 is nowhere lacking or has less presence; it's the best bass i've heard in a headphone so far (better control than my lcd3). It's just that it blends better (more naturally )with the other freqs in comparison to the he500. The he500 does not have more bass, its just the slower decay makes the presence a bit longer and smoother vs the HE6's quicker punch and decay

 

 

Oh yeah dleblanc343 - you hit it.  I agree 100%  You through me for a loop with "visceral"  I thought that was a medical term.  I have no idea what that means?

 

 

400

 

post #68 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


I totally agree that the bass of the HE6 is nowhere lacking or has less presence; it's the best bass i've heard in a headphone so far (better control than my lcd3). It's just that it blends better (more naturally )with the other freqs in comparison to the he500. The he500 does not have more bass, its just the slower decay makes the presence a bit longer and smoother vs the HE6's quicker punch and decay

u know whats funny..

everyone is comparing the he500 with lcd 2/3 and the he6 and then say the he500 is the lesser phone.....does everyone forgot the he500 actually sells for 699 and the others are at least 400 usd more expensive? does the he6 really give a higher soundquality pro price upgrade compared to the HE500? i think everyone is forgetting that..for 699 that phone has outrageous soundquality for the money imho....its like comparing a lcd to a stax sr009! funny is that reeally everyone compares the he500 (and i mean everyone) with those much more expensive phones and then somehow say the he500 is a lesser phone....but u wont find any comparision between a he6/lcd 3 with a sr007 or 009.WHY IS THAT BY THE WAY? ...i am not a he500 lover by choice..i by accident stumbled upon my pair...and now i cant stop saying i love them!..but..lets be honest..a he500 is naturerely not a he6 killer..it cant be..as otherwise mr. fang wouldnt sell any he6 anymore...biggrin.gif i just wanna say..everyone who complains about differnces between the likes of the lcd's and the he6's compared to the humble he500 is a bit overreacting..i think that lots of people started to get into the high end territory because of he500 kind of phones...just wanted this get off my chest! hope i didnt offended anyone by this..its just how i feel...wink_face.gif...but u never know...one day i maybe will own a LCD3 or a 007.


Edited by hifimanrookie - 11/26/12 at 12:09pm
post #69 of 991

Well hifimanrookie,

 

Any and everything can be compared.  We (Head Fi'ers) compare HE-500 to the HE-400, HD600s to HD 650s, Solid State amps to Tube Amps,  Sub 1K amps to Above 1K amps all the time.  Yes you can filter the companion all you want.  Only compare sub 1K headphones.  That works.  Only compare above 1K headphones.  That's works as well.  What I like to do is put cost aside - Then compare the headphone, amps, or what ever as is regardless of price and build.  In this hobby anything goes.  No holds barred kind of thing.  

 

At the end of the day you can find out which one gives you the best bang for your buck.  You can find out which one has diminishing returns.  You can find out the best price per performance - what ever you want to call it.  

post #70 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Well hifimanrookie,

 

Any and everything can be compared.  We (Head Fi'ers) compare HE-500 to the HE-400, HD600s to HD 650s, Solid State amps to Tube Amps,  Sub 1K amps to Above 1K amps all the time.  Yes you can filter the companion all you want.  Only compare sub 1K headphones.  That works.  Only compare above 1K headphones.  That's works as well.  What I like to do is put cost aside - Then compare the headphone, amps, or what ever as is regardless of price and build.  In this hobby anything goes.  No holds barred kind of thing.  

 

At the end of the day you can find out which one gives you the best bang for your buck.  You can find out which one has diminishing returns.  You can find out the best price per performance - what ever you want to call it.  

ur right..i take my words back..but why dont i see any stax vs. he6 or lcd's comparisions?

never mind...anyway i wouldnt mind owning any of the phones compared here in this thread..biggrin.gif

post #71 of 991

Hey hifimanrookie, I don't mean to be condescending in regards to the HE-6 being better than HE-500; I owned the HE-500 prior, and still think they're the best headphones for the price till this day; even more so at the price I got it for.

 

I think we got into the comparisons indirectly because someone said the lcd-2 is better than the HE-500 (which is relative to tastes) and I proposed the HE-6 for just a bit more money; which to me is another level planar. And also because the person is looking for either the HE500 or the HD800; where the HE-6 makes a real good compromise and is in between the pricing.

post #72 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Hey hifimanrookie, I don't mean to be condescending in regards to the HE-6 being better than HE-500; I owned the HE-500 prior, and still think they're the best headphones for the price till this day; even more so at the price I got it for.

 

I think we got into the comparisons indirectly because someone said the lcd-2 is better than the HE-500 (which is relative to tastes) and I proposed the HE-6 for just a bit more money; which to me is another level planar. And also because the person is looking for either the HE500 or the HD800; where the HE-6 makes a real good compromise and is in between the pricing.


ur right..i also got sidetracked along the way..question was hd800 vs hd500..and yeah..the he6/lcd2 fits just in between..as i said..i went a bit overboard in my enthousiasm...biggrin.gif..i listened to ALMOST all phones mentioned here for at least 15 min..except for the Hd800 (that was just 5 min)..and everyone has its goods and bads...so pls accept my apologies if i was a bit to blame for the sidetracking..tongue.gif

post #73 of 991

It's fine man, and remember, let your ears guide you!

post #74 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

It's fine man, and remember, let your ears guide you!
Always! My ears are my masters..i obey them completely music concerned and all the money i can hide from my girl..as she still doesnt understand why people spend ( lots of money) on a rig if a ipod with the white earbutts also does the same..giving u music..ITS HER WORDS..
But funny is..i caught her listening to her ipod touch through my westone's um3x with her eyes closed...i wonder why she did that if she thinks the apple earbutts are good enough..mmmmmm have to check her closet for new designer bags.. biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 11/26/12 at 3:36pm
post #75 of 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

It's fine man, and remember, let your ears guide you!

I let my wallet guide me. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HD800 vs HE500