Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Quality open air headphones for gaming and other media
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quality open air headphones for gaming and other media - Page 5

post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrementum View Post

Wow am I glad I bought these headphones and sound card.  It's such a massive improvement from anything I've used before it's crazy.

 

Listening to my favorite songs is like a completely new experience because I'm picking up so many more little bits and pieces that I couldn't hear before.  It's kind of crazy how good these headphones are for just about every genre of music.  Gaming is also sweet and I dig the CMSS-3D in BF3 but haven't used it much outside of that.

 

Is it normal to hear like a recording noise on certain songs?  It's almost like the headphones are too good for the quality of music I listen to and it's picking up literally every detail that was in the original recording.

 

Yeah that's normal. Glad you're liking the setup! 

 

Really good all rounder headphones for the money.

post #62 of 82
Thread Starter 

I'm looking into getting an amplifer for my DT990s.  Most of the stuff I listen to, even with my volume cranked up all the way, is just a tad bit too quiet.  There are some games that are actually pretty quiet even at max volume.

 

Would an amplifier fix that issue for me?  I stopped using CMSS-3D because I was noticing a heavy hit to sound quality.  The effects are cool but they aren't worth the the trade off in sound quality.

post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrementum View Post

I'm looking into getting an amplifer for my DT990s.  Most of the stuff I listen to, even with my volume cranked up all the way, is just a tad bit too quiet.  There are some games that are actually pretty quiet even at max volume.

 

Would an amplifier fix that issue for me?  I stopped using CMSS-3D because I was noticing a heavy hit to sound quality.  The effects are cool but they aren't worth the the trade off in sound quality.

 

The DT990 do benefit from additional amplification. For cost effective amps, look into the PA2V2 or the Fiio E11 (I recommend the PA2V2, which has more driving power, battery charges last 10 times more and can actually be used while charging), or look higher up for the O2 or the Schiit Asgard. Any of those amps will provide a healthy boost in both volume and better sounding DT990s, due to additional amplification.

 

Surround virtualization techs like CMSS-3D and DH do add an artificial coating to sound, something I dislike as I prefer to have the original audio that's of higher quality. However, it can benefit gaming, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrementum View Post

I'm looking into getting an amplifer for my DT990s.  Most of the stuff I listen to, even with my volume cranked up all the way, is just a tad bit too quiet.  There are some games that are actually pretty quiet even at max volume.

 

Would an amplifier fix that issue for me?  I stopped using CMSS-3D because I was noticing a heavy hit to sound quality.  The effects are cool but they aren't worth the the trade off in sound quality.

what is your budget, design preferences, and portable or desktop?

 

the  o2 is probably your best bet. i is designed to be objectively great. you will notice a wider soundstage from the reduced crosstalk. It's probably the best value for about 450 dollars from what nwavguy claims(He makes no profit, so thats not his marketing shpiel, it is an unbiased opinion/fact)

 

I wouldn't trust the Asgard, it looks purdy, but i don't see proof of an electrical engineering degree anywhere. The relay fiasco is solved, but it is still noted to have blown up an ultrasone ed8, and schitt blamed it on the high sensitivty


Edited by Gallade475 - 12/10/12 at 3:50pm
post #65 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

what is your budget, design preferences, and portable or desktop?

the  o2 is probably your best bet. i is designed to be objectively great. you will notice a wider soundstage from the reduced crosstalk. It's probably the best value for about 450 dollars from what nwavguy claims(He makes no profit, so thats not his marketing shpiel, it is an unbiased opinion/fact)

I wouldn't trust the Asgard, it looks purdy, but i don't see proof of an electrical engineering degree anywhere. The relay fiasco is solved, but it is still noted to have blown up an ultrasone ed8, and schitt blamed it on the high sensitivty

I'm looking for a desktop amplifier (nothing too huge though). My budget is prolly $150 tops.

How much louder will I be able to make my headphones with an amplifier? Also will I not be able to use CMSS-3D if I use an amp?
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrementum View Post


I'm looking for a desktop amplifier (nothing too huge though). My budget is prolly $150 tops.
How much louder will I be able to make my headphones with an amplifier? Also will I not be able to use CMSS-3D if I use an amp?

On ebay there is a seller with a nice Custom Red O2 for 100 bucks. you will be able to use CMSS-3D with the amplifier, as pretty much every amplifier except for the Smyth Realiser does not have its own DSP..

 

Buying the O2 pre built from jds labs will run you at about 144 bucks. and about 50 bucks or lower if you wanted to build it yourself. it is said to outperform the Asgard in every way, except for power output, and the Asgard's 3 Watts is overkill for the dt990 250 ohm.

 

If I am making Schiit shills mad, remember i'm going off of measurements and fact, not word of mouth and sense transcription(Like Bright, Dark, Hollow, Full, Warm, or Cold).

 

Link to the red O2 for 100 bucks (bid) http://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Amp-Objective-2-Headphone-Amplifier-/300830678728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460ae7dec8


Edited by Gallade475 - 12/10/12 at 6:56pm
post #67 of 82
Thread Starter 

I've heard great things about the O2 from just about everyone.  That seems like a safe bet.

 

I wonder if I'd see a big difference between the E11 and O2.  I'm mostly just wanting an increase in volume but I suppose I'm down to see just how much better my DT990s can get.

post #68 of 82
Thread Starter 

I just use RCA to RCA to connect my amp and sound card, right?  This would use my headphone amp and the sound card as a DAC.  The headphones would be plugged in to the amplifier?

post #69 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrementum View Post

I just use RCA to RCA to connect my amp and sound card, right?  This would use my headphone amp and the sound card as a DAC.  The headphones would be plugged in to the amplifier?

RCA male to male I think...

post #70 of 82
It would be rca male to 3.5mm male. If you have a soundcard without rca ports would be 3.5mm male to 3.5 mm male
post #71 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

It would be rca male to 3.5mm male. If you have a soundcard without rca ports would be 3.5mm male to 3.5 mm male

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought the O2. I'll update this once I've tested everything out.
post #72 of 82

Congratulations. You now have your first complete rig. Remember to find some traction before it is too late, as Head fi is a slippery slope.

post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The Titanium (non-HD) does not come with a headphone amplifier, but is should be able to decently drive 50-Ohm headphones.

Usually sound cards have a headphone jack with high impedance (resistance, measured in Ohms).

Its preferable to have the headphones with an Ohm rating 8 times (or more) then the Ohm rating of the headphone output jack.

The lowest impedance rating for a sound card is 10-Ohms (like the Asus STX, ST & Phoebus)

The Creative Titanium HD is 35-Ohm(?), I have no idea on the Titanium (non-HD) Ohm rating, but I would not be surprised if it's 35-Ohms or higher.

Some of the low cost Asus Xonar's are believe to have 100-Ohm output impedance

I would think most sound cards have a high Ohm rating (older sound card designs & built-in audio on motherboards), I believe their headphone jack is more like a line-out that pretends to be a headphone output.

Now external headphone amplifiers can come with really low impedance ratings, like .5-Ohms (O2 and Fiio).

I think the Matrix-M stage is around 5-Ohms.

 

Can you explain it better to me?

 

And does that mean a Titanium-HD wouldn't be a good choice to use with a HD558?


Edited by Okamoto - 12/12/12 at 7:08am
post #74 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

Congratulations. You now have your first complete rig. Remember to find some traction before it is too late, as Head fi is a slippery slope.

Hehe.  Yeah I think I'll be content.  I really just wanted to make my volume louder but the additional benefits are just a plus.

post #75 of 82
Thread Starter 
Should my Windows volume be at 100%?

Seems like the gain button pressed in is making volume a whole lot louder.
Edited by Incrementum - 12/17/12 at 3:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Quality open air headphones for gaming and other media