or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15*** - Page 274

post #4096 of 8012

I mean s**t. If these caps really affect the sound quality significantly, and we all have different cap combos, it sure as hell affects the tube reviews/synergies we've been working on here. I probably won't be DIYing my T1. If all of you guys come to the conclusion that changing the parts improves the sound significantly I might consider moving on to some other amp. And if I do so that won't be MIC that's for sure.

post #4097 of 8012

ok ..no BP

4x ELNA Capacitor SILMIC II 470uF 35V Silk Audio HIFI     
4x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR    
4x ELNA 47uF 50V SILMIC II RFS Audio Capacitor HI-FI
post #4098 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

 

They cost me 4£ total, post included ;D PCC189 seems to be relabeled Tungsram PCC189, two different PCC85 (one is Mullard Blackburn) and one PCC89 Mullard from 60` (not sure it`s pin-out is ok to use, got to check). They all seem to be NOS and unused.

 

Edit: checked - PCC89 pinout is different and it requires socket mod. But it should work flawless since it is 7.5V and 300mA.

Running one of those PCC85 (steel pins inside construction) and it`s much better than that Ei PCC189. Soundstage is big & smooth and has "feel of air" in it, bass is smooth and low, mids are good (female vocals are great), highs are smooth but have enough sparkle. Great tube for sure. Got to burn this and others need to be cleaned and tested yet. So far - already this 1 PCC85 tube is worth lot more than I paid for - superb! ;P Definitely going to compare this with the best out of my tubes.


Edited by CoiL - 1/9/14 at 1:17pm
post #4099 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

I mean s**t. If these caps really affect the sound quality significantly, and we all have different cap combos, it sure as hell affects the tube reviews/synergies we've been working on here. I probably won't be DIYing my T1. If all of you guys come to the conclusion that changing the parts improves the sound significantly I might consider moving on to some other amp. And if I do so that won't be MIC that's for sure.

I agree that all of my tube reviews are now invalid. IF and only if your Aune has the ****ty no name caps in it, they need replaced. If you liked the Aune before, just wait until those caps are replaced. It is well worth the effort for how the sound changed in mine.
Edited by lwrs10 - 1/9/14 at 2:41pm
post #4100 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post

ok ..no BP
4x ELNA Capacitor SILMIC II 470uF 35V Silk Audio HIFI     
4x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR    
4x ELNA 47uF 50V SILMIC II RFS Audio Capacitor HI-FI


Need to revise that list.

4x ELNA Capacitor SILMIC II 470uF 35V Silk Audio HIFI Do not use audio grade cap here. This is power supply
4x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORChange to 470uf 25v non audio
4x ELNA 47uF 50V SILMIC II RFS Audio Capacitor HI-FI this is good

ADD 2x 3300uf 25v non audio to the list, and it has to be the short fat one. When I get home I can list them out for you.


My list. This is basically what I used.

4X http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H470MED/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3RXRUVU1xXQDobDpAEYxdYs%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UVZ1E471MPD1TD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22YQlrerufNMZmFqDDDWJG1I%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UVZ1V471MPD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22cbP6Wf%2fHrkhabfGclQwi7k%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/URZ1V332MRD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22cavfLNkWkbIMu8RR6n7lR4%3d
Edited by lwrs10 - 1/9/14 at 3:16pm
post #4101 of 8012
Originally Posted by lwrs10 View Post
1. Main supply caps.
These are labelled Elna and rated at 3300uf at 25v. They passed capacitence and esr test with flying colors.

Sry, but what that "flying colors" means? For me it`s like "they passed" but with flames & whistles - means they blew up ;D  Did I understood wrong? They do not need replacement?

 

Anyway, can I also use 35V instead 25V in this spot? This for example?-> http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufc1v332/cap-alu-elect-3300uf-35v-can/dp/9692355

Or does it need to be left 25V?

 

Edit: seems that 35V in this spot is ok since you also going to get 35V 3300uF caps.

 

Quote:
2. Secondary supply caps.
These had no name and were rated at 330uf at 35v. One measured 198uf, and the other 312. They both failed esr.

Going to get 470uF 35V for replacement because my unit had 470uF 25V as stock. Did a lot of research and this is what I`m going to get:
Panasonic FM series 470uF / 35V / 0.019 Ohm impedance / AC ripple current 2180mA / leakage current 0.01µA / 5000 hours @ 105°C / 10x20mm

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475

This cap has best specifications out of options available to me. Very tight specs imho.

 

Quote:
3. Headphone amp rail voltage caps.
These are labelled Nichicon, and rated 470uf at 25v. They passed capacitance, one failed esr.

Once again asking if using higher V in this spot is ok?
Will the cap mentioned in point 2 fit here too or this must be left @ 25V?
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475

 

Quote:

4. Headphone coupling caps.
These are labelled Elna RFO series and rated 47uf at 50v. They passed capacitance, both were very marginal on esr, but passed.
And same question again ;D 63V is ok here?

 

Btw, why audio grade caps don`t fit for power supply caps? even if they have same value?


Edited by CoiL - 1/9/14 at 3:50pm
post #4102 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrs10 View Post


I agree that all of my tube reviews are now invalid. IF and only if your Aune has the ****ty no name caps in it, they need replaced. If you liked the Aune before, just wait until those caps are replaced. It is well worth the effort for how the sound changed in mine.


This is now shedding light on some things.  Look at my reviews and how they compare. different parts inside ? Some popular tubes, dull.

 

yet I have a favorite and just received another today that is its equal. Before I show the review and pictures, I am now anxious to open my AUNE but sadly, it must wait until tomorrow. Well, not sadly, its my wife's birthday....LOL

 

GE Labeled SIEMENS 6AQ8 ECC85 GERMANY - cant make out date code 4.25 Stars ****/

This bad boy is amazing, Soundstage impresses you immediately as does the detail. This and my other GE labeled tube will knock your socks off. So why does that one get 4.5 stars and this one 4.25 ? They are very close. The GE 6GM8 marked made in Holland is perfect. Would make anyone happy (depending on your caps? ..lol) So will this 6AQ8 which I think has a tad better soundstage (by a thumbnail) but also just a thumbnail less bass. Really I should rate them both 4.5 but I need more critical listening. I listened to about 12 different type songs and could find no wrong EXCEPT some heavy metal tune by Nickelback and that may be the mastering, I need to check. But all other cuts, gorgeous. Vocals will make your head spin and take notice.

 

 

post #4103 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
 

I mean s**t. If these caps really affect the sound quality significantly, and we all have different cap combos, it sure as hell affects the tube reviews/synergies we've been working on here. I probably won't be DIYing my T1. If all of you guys come to the conclusion that changing the parts improves the sound significantly I might consider moving on to some other amp. And if I do so that won't be MIC that's for sure.


Salvatore,

 

What do you get when you cross a chemist and an electrician ? An improved AUNE T1...I am sure you will get the humor.

 

Okay, DONT give up. First, regardless of the caps, it is a great unit. Especially in its price class. Second, you can bet that a lot of other builds (other companies) are not always using A+ parts. Spend $500 or $600, maybe more surety but under $200 ?

 

If you need to change the caps and you don't feel capable (not sure of your skill set) it is VERY easy for someone who works on this stuff. Board is easy to remove, easy access to caps. This is a low skill job. And your upgrade cost is about 20 bucks plus whatever you paid someone ($50 ? ) .

 

If you can use a soldering iron half way decent, you can do it. If not, leave it be,,,it is still good !

post #4104 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Sry, but what that "flying colors" means? For me it`s like "they passed" but with flames & whistles - means they blew up ;D  Did I understood wrong? They do not need replacement?

Anyway, can I also use 35V instead 25V in this spot? This for example?-> http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufc1v332/cap-alu-elect-3300uf-35v-can/dp/9692355
Or does it need to be left 25V?

Edit: seems that 35V in this spot is ok since you also going to get 35V 3300uF caps.

Going to get 470uF 35V for replacement because my unit had 470uF 25V as stock. Did a lot of research and this is what I`m going to get:

Panasonic FM series 470uF / 35V / 0.019 Ohm impedance / AC ripple current 2180mA / leakage current 0.01µA / 5000 hours @ 105°C / 10x20mm
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475
This cap has best specifications out of options available to me. Very tight specs imho.

Once again asking if using higher V in this spot is ok?

Will the cap mentioned in point 2 fit here too or this must be left @ 25V?
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufm1v471/cap-alu-elect-470uf-35v-can/dp/1219475
Quote:
And same question again ;D 63V is ok here?

Btw, why audio grade caps don`t fit for power supply caps? even if they have same value?


Flying colors means they were perfect.


You can put a higher voltage in any of these spots. But, higher voltage normally means bigger size, and it has to fit.


Let me find some reasons why not to use audio caps in the power supply.
post #4105 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrs10 View Post


Need to revise that list.

4x ELNA Capacitor SILMIC II 470uF 35V Silk Audio HIFI Do not use audio grade cap here. This is power supply
4x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORChange to 470uf 25v non audio
4x ELNA 47uF 50V SILMIC II RFS Audio Capacitor HI-FI this is good

ADD 2x 3300uf 25v non audio to the list, and it has to be the short fat one. When I get home I can list them out for you.


My list. This is basically what I used.

4X http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H470MED/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3RXRUVU1xXQDobDpAEYxdYs%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UVZ1E471MPD1TD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22YQlrerufNMZmFqDDDWJG1I%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UVZ1V471MPD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22cbP6Wf%2fHrkhabfGclQwi7k%3d

4x http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/URZ1V332MRD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22cavfLNkWkbIMu8RR6n7lR4%3d

thanks ...ordered all the above 

post #4106 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post

thanks ...ordered all the above 


Sweet man. I cant wait for someone else to change these caps then get all googly eyed and whatnot when they give it a listen after.



*EDIT*

The more I think about this the more I get pissed off.

The units sent out for review and the pics posted on the Aune website had proper caps in them. Not some no brand/off brand piles of ****. like we all received.


Aune as a company just went down quite a few notches in my books. An email is being sent in a few minutes to them. Maybe we can get some answers.
Edited by lwrs10 - 1/9/14 at 6:40pm
post #4107 of 8012
Here is a copy of the email that was just sent to Aune.
Quote:
Hello,

I purchased the T1 about 8 months ago directly through you on Ebay.com. I have really enjoyed it so far, and recently wanted to swap some tubes into it that had higher heater current than the 6922 tube that it came with. So I took the Aune T1 apart to see how much current the heater circuit can handle, and discovered that some of the capacitors used in mine are of sub par quality.


I replaced these capacitors with some quality Nichicons, and the sound of my T1 totally changed. The slight harshness it always had in the treble went away, and the T1 overall sounded much more lush.


I posted these finding on the www.head-fi.org forums, and others took a look inside theirs to see what caps they had. Every single person so far has these exact same terrible quality no name capacitors. One person even had off brand main supply caps.

This thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/3975


I am an electrical engineer, and have access to capacitor testing equipment. I tested these no name capacitors and they failed miserably for capacitance, ESR, and leakage. Since every otherT1 also has these capacitors, I would bet those units are faulty too.


The part of this that does make me mad is the units you sent out for review had good quality Nichicon capacitors in the power supply section....both the unregulated and the regulated.

Reference this thread:

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/8297/aune-bit-valve-tube-dac?page=1&scrollTo=119072


Also, on your site, the pics you have of the T1 circuit board also has quality Nichicon capacitors.



So, why are we finding off brand/no brand capacitors in our T1's that do not even pass simple capacitance checks? Did you send out units for review with good capacitors, then changed them to lower quality after?

This is TERRIBLE business practices, and I really hope that the designer of this T1 does not know about this. Please tell me whoever put these together screwed all of us over in this deal.


Otherwise, if this was done on purpose, your sales are going to decline very quickly on this side of the world. You can see how much attention my findings are getting in just one thread.


Thanks for your time, and I look forward to resolving this issue.

Randy(lwrs10)
post #4108 of 8012

lwrs10..so why not the audio grade in the ps ?

 

I ordered these

 

4 x ELNA Capacitor Cerafine Roa 470uF 25V Audio HIFI (Cerafine Roa 470uF 25V) = US$8.00

 

4 x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR (PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V) = US$4.80

 

You are saying I should not have ordered these ? what is the impact ? Thanks

post #4109 of 8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcorob View Post

lwrs10..so why not the audio grade in the ps ?

I ordered these

4 x ELNA Capacitor Cerafine Roa 470uF 25V Audio HIFI (Cerafine Roa 470uF 25V) = US$8.00

4 x PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V cap LOW ESR AUDIO ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR (PANASONIC FM 330uF 35V) = US$4.80

You are saying I should not have ordered these ? what is the impact ? Thanks


I really do not know. I was told by a wise man not to use audio caps in the power supply filtering section. But after comparing specs to the computer grade and general purpose, they are identical. Hell go for it.
post #4110 of 8012

Yeah..I am getting mixed reviews online. One site says its because audio caps and power caps specs have different ripple current specs...better in the non-audio grade...others say it does not matter....sigh...LOL

 

Low ESR and better ripple current specs seem to go hand in hand...I am going to look at some data sheets..I am not in a hurry because she sounds sweet now...maybe I have real deal...LOL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***