Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 42

post #616 of 6486

Ah and also the aune staff in a chinese forum told me to get the original camera connection kit for ipad to work well. Anybody tried it with ipad 3? Thanks.

post #617 of 6486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rboin View Post
 

Sound stage is very small if your ear is not trained to differentiate from the laptop soundcard. 

I`m sure it`s because of your px100 headphones. With good headphones and 6922EH, soundstage should be huge compared to pc soundcard!

Or did you mean it with AKG 240 mkII? With those cans there should be also huge difference in soundstage.

 

 

 

E: About that custom short USB cable... Alex from rockgrotto:

Quote:
After just a few minutes playing around with this very nicely constructed and attractive little unit, I can say that a short USB cable with the Vbus (red wire) disconnected at the PC end of the USB cable did sound better than when using the longer supplied USB cable, which itself appeared to be quite a bit better quality than most normal USB cables, when playing a 24/192 track from Barry Diament's "Americas" album.

Atm I`m using this 1M foil shielded: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-High-Speed-USB-2-0-A-Male-to-B-Male-Premium-Printer-Cable-Lead-/330861962594?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item4d08e8e562

 

Will buy shorter, gold plugs, foil shielded like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A-to-B-A-B-printer-cable-CORD-FOR-HP-Epson-Lexmark-Canon-Brother-DELL-PC-/180888831638?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a1dd08696


Edited by CoiL - 2/5/13 at 8:32am
post #618 of 6486

@coil: yes You are correct that i have no improvement with the px100, just a bit layering and clarity and louder :) . There is this sound stage with akg k240 mk2 but i dont have other comparison standard. Sorry for the misubderstanding.

post #619 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Zero noise from my Aune T1. Of course when you have poor quality audio and don`t bypass PC internal output filtering ( you must use kernel stream plugin, ASIO or some alternative), then there will be some noise. Otherwise, turned my speakers and headphone knob to max with nothing playing - silence. That reminds me that I have to mod my custom short USB cable by cutting out +5V pin.


I notice slight hiss when the volume knob is about 80%, no music played. I suspect the tube, but it's not a big deal, because like a rest,I hardly ever get to 50%.

post #620 of 6486

Its propably the tube. Anyway my Mullard ECC88 is silent.

 

Enuma-elis and Grevlin, is your USB cable black with golden plugs or grey? My T1 came with black and golden plugs not like the grey one on some older Aune T1 pics you can see on the web. 


Edited by CoiL - 2/5/13 at 10:31am
post #621 of 6486

Black. I think, it doesn't make any differences. It could be a little shorter to be more handy, but I don't believe in any Super-uber 100% gold usb cables thing. 

post #622 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuma-elis View Post

Black. I think, it doesn't make any differences. It could be a little shorter to be more handy, but I don't believe in any Super-uber 100% gold usb cables thing. 


I would agree - especially a USB cable. Its just ones and zeros going down the line, unless I'm missing something.

 

After the Dac to the Amp and then from Amp to Speakers - I can see how cables would effect sound. I still can't fathom buying a cable that costs the same or even twice the cost of the equipment. I've seen ridiculous prices on cables.


Edited by Grevlin - 2/5/13 at 10:47am
post #623 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post


I would agree - especially a USB cable. Its just ones and zeros going down the line, unless I'm missing something.

 

After the Dac to the Amp and then from Amp to Speakers - I can see how cables would effect sound. I still can't fathom buying a cable that costs the same or even twice the cost of the equipment. I've seen ridiculous prices on cables.


Maybe one day, when I grew old and rich...I will understand. But nowadays?

post #624 of 6486

Yup - when we get to the point when nothing else is left to upgrade. biggrin.gif

 

...$1000 4' cable - why not. blink.gif

 

The ad does say "So good you can hear the sounds of Angel's singing!"

 

 

 

Agree - I won't be there for a while.
 


Edited by Grevlin - 2/5/13 at 11:04am
post #625 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post


I would agree - especially a USB cable. Its just ones and zeros going down the line, unless I'm missing something.

 

After the Dac to the Amp and then from Amp to Speakers - I can see how cables would effect sound. I still can't fathom buying a cable that costs the same or even twice the cost of the equipment. I've seen ridiculous prices on cables.


don't wish to start any debate here on that, but I am on the side of the camp that agrees on the significance of cables, be them analog or digital.. on every part of the signal chain cables affect the sound..

 

I DIYed quite a few of cables myself and also bought from various places and their improvements are never placebo.. cables have been getting too much of a stick IMO.. even type of solder on the connection point has an effect... and I actually rate cables constructions and their materials a 5-10% affection on my overall listening experience.. an improvement on cables at any point they are needed, add that up, I can assure you the difference is there..

 

I, however, don't see the need to spend thousands on these too, as from then on I reckon the improvements are probably not worth that amount of money to justify.. but sometimes for $50 or below, hell yeah!

post #626 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

Yup - when we get to the point when nothing else is left to upgrade. biggrin.gif

 

...$1000 4' cable - why not. blink.gif

 

Agree - I won't be there for a while.
 


Yep, I wouldn't pay $1000 for growing my pennis four inches, and someone is suggesting pay it for a frickin' four steps cable?atsmile.gif

post #627 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecap View Post


don't wish to start any debate here on that, but I am on the side of the camp that agrees on the significance of cables, be them analog or digital.. on every part of the signal chain cables affect the sound..

 

I DIYed quite a few of cables myself and also bought from various places and their improvements are never placebo.. cables have been getting too much of a stick IMO.. even type of solder on the connection point has an effect... and I actually rate cables constructions and their materials a 5-10% affection on my overall listening experience.. an improvement on cables at any point they are needed, add that up, I can assure you the difference is there..

 

I, however, don't see the need to spend thousands on these too, as from then on I reckon the improvements are probably not worth that amount of money to justify.. but sometimes for $50 or below, hell yeah!


When I was younger I've spend some time on death/black metal concerts. I'm glad, that I can hear dac differencebiggrin.gif.

post #628 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Its propably the tube. Anyway my Mullard ECC88 is silent.

 

Enuma-elis and Grevlin, is your USB cable black with golden plugs or grey? My T1 came with black and golden plugs not like the grey one on some older Aune T1 pics you can see on the web. 


Mine is black with "gold" plugs - seems pretty solid as far as I can see.

post #629 of 6486

...


Edited by CoiL - 2/4/14 at 9:43am
post #630 of 6486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rboin View Post

@coil: yes You are correct that i have no improvement with the px100, just a bit layering and clarity and louder :) . There is this sound stage with akg k240 mk2 but i dont have other comparison standard. Sorry for the misubderstanding.

I was about to say....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

I would agree - especially a USB cable. Its just ones and zeros going down the line, unless I'm missing something.

 

After the Dac to the Amp and then from Amp to Speakers - I can see how cables would effect sound. I still can't fathom buying a cable that costs the same or even twice the cost of the equipment. I've seen ridiculous prices on cables.

well... it depends, if the DAC section is drawing power from the USB port then (As people with ODACs have figured) you have some issues, because the dirty power from laptops especially feeds straight into the dac and that can make a substantial difference, so you need a linear power supply and 5v injector, also the cable carries noise from the power supply so you need a USB cable with ferrite chokes (that also makes a big difference), and then of course just decent isolation from outside noise. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecap View Post


don't wish to start any debate here on that, but I am on the side of the camp that agrees on the significance of cables, be them analog or digital.. on every part of the signal chain cables affect the sound..

 

I DIYed quite a few of cables myself and also bought from various places and their improvements are never placebo.. cables have been getting too much of a stick IMO.. even type of solder on the connection point has an effect... and I actually rate cables constructions and their materials a 5-10% affection on my overall listening experience.. an improvement on cables at any point they are needed, add that up, I can assure you the difference is there..

 

I, however, don't see the need to spend thousands on these too, as from then on I reckon the improvements are probably not worth that amount of money to justify.. but sometimes for $50 or below, hell yeah!

QED performance 1, cheap, lifetime warranty, good quality, as much I will ever use unless someone shows me some specs for any improvements. and since its all physics there should be a fair amount of substantiated theory and evident results, but there isn't, why? Because they apply wrong theories (like skinning effect to interconnects) for one.

 

If your happy, I'm not gonna go all convert on you, be happy, its your money. And thats not me being a prick, genuinely honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuma-elis View Post

When I was younger I've spend some time on death/black metal concerts. I'm glad, that I can hear dac differencebiggrin.gif.

I went to KoRn without fully recovering from an ear infection....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***