Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 373

post #5581 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler View Post
 

 

This is the *exact* same issue that I have.

 

The cause for it is electromagnetic interference from your PC. You'll notice that the sound gets extremely crazy when your hard drive is accessed and/or when you scroll through a webpage.

 

It took me weeks to find a possible solution and trust me when I say that I know more about this problem than anybody else, at this point. lol!

 

Two other people reported that this solved the issue entirely ; a USB isolator. It purifies the signal and manages to separate the noise you're referring to from the music you're trying to play.

 

Here is the exact USB isolator I've ordered ; it's made by Olimex. https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-ISO/

 

By the way, here are some things that were suggested to me which didn't fix the issue ;

 

- Different shielded USB cable.

- Testing all USB ports.

- Trying a USB controller card (PCI).

- Trying a USB cable with a ferrite on each end.

- Trying a USB cable with no ground or power pin.

- And many more...

 

And here are the threads from other users who experienced the same issue.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645446/usb-isolator-and-pc-noise
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/24439-usb-isolation-between-computer-dac.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51572.html

I've ordered it through DigiKey and will hope that nips it in the bud once and for all. It seems to be way overkill for my usage but I couldn't find any real-world experiences from users having tried the aforementioned USB isolator, so I ordered one that I could verify has worked for other end-users like me.

 

Lastly, here is my thread about this topic ; http://www.overclock.net/t/1497894/emi-driving-me-nuts-no-sound-card-using-usb-help

 

I will be taking possession of the Olimex USB isolator this weekend, but I'm 99% sure it will fix the issue. It can be ordered from many different places, including Amazon. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

Grounding got me thinking. I took the power supply off the surge protector with all the other gear and moved it to a different plug. Same circuit in the house but now off the surge protector. 

 

Ta da!

 

Glorious sound. Totally different than an hour ago. I still need to do a sound test to see what I like better. On board or the T1 (the onboard is supposed to be dam good). Anyways volume is what I expected but..., yes there is a but, there is still a little clipping in the low end. I am going over some non bass heavy tracks and they are great, to a point. The bass...

 

In one song I have is this long unending bass tone (well multiple notes but you get the idea) waving around to make this soundscape. It is nice on the onboard, It sounds like one long undulating sound.  But on the T1 the sound feels broken up into chunks. There clearly is clip, it's nothing huge but it is distinctly there if you listen for it.

 

Any ideas anyone?

post #5582 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goophoba View Post
 

Grounding got me thinking. I took the power supply off the surge protector with all the other gear and moved it to a different plug. Same circuit in the house but now off the surge protector. 

 

Ta da!

 

Glorious sound. Totally different than an hour ago. I still need to do a sound test to see what I like better. On board or the T1 (the onboard is supposed to be dam good). Anyways volume is what I expected but..., yes there is a but, there is still a little clipping in the low end. I am going over some non bass heavy tracks and they are great, to a point. The bass...

 

In one song I have is this long unending bass tone (well multiple notes but you get the idea) waving around to make this soundscape. It is nice on the onboard, It sounds like one long undulating sound.  But on the T1 the sound feels broken up into chunks. There clearly is clip, it's nothing huge but it is distinctly there if you listen for it.

 

Any ideas anyone?

 

I assumed you had checked the ground first. Glad it's as simple as that, for you. My ground was perfect and yet the problem persists. The USB isolator should take care of this, but I'll only know for sure on the weekend.

 

I'm assuming you're using the EH tube that came with the Aune T1? If so, I'd suggest switching it with a better tube as it will yield a better sound, no doubt.

 

If you're using headphones, I'd suggest changing the switches so that the output isn't boosted. That could also contribute to the clipping you describe.

post #5583 of 6434
Nice work guys! Ground noise can be such a pain.

Just a question Goo... When you say onboard are you talking soundcard? I found ALC889 does sound alright, but the bass was loose for my taste. I was also surprised that most people dismiss soundcards as noisy/low quality/etc. Older ones for sure, but newer ones can sound ok.
post #5584 of 6434

I highly advise to not buy from Audiophonics.fr. They might ship fast, but when it comes down to RMA they simply won't answer. Handing the case over to PayPal.

post #5585 of 6434

mikoss, I had good experiences with soundcards from Auzentech which sounded good, but the company folded and most of their designs were taken from Creative Labs. Having the ability to switch chips to get different sounds was interesting, though.

 

Good to know, resierFS. Thanks for the update and good luck getting the matter resolved. Quick question, though ; did you try calling them? My experience has taught me that oftentimes, companies are a lot more responsive to phone calls.

post #5586 of 6434

I just got my T1 MK2 this weekend and so far it sounds great! Quick question though, I'm running speakers and headphones through it and I just wanted to know if how I'm switching between them is ok: I have the speakers connected to the Audio Out ports on the back of the T1 all the time. Then when I switch to headphones, I turn the speakers off and simply plug my headphones into the T1 and turn up the volume on the T1 (it's always at the minimum position when listening to speakers - I adjust the volume on the speakers). 

 

I think I read somewhere that running speakers and headphones from the T1 at the same time is not a good idea, but if the speakers are turned off when my headphones are plugged in, is that ok? Or should I be unplugging the speakers each time?

 

Thanks!

post #5587 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgib View Post
 

I just got my T1 MK2 this weekend and so far it sounds great! Quick question though, I'm running speakers and headphones through it and I just wanted to know if how I'm switching between them is ok: I have the speakers connected to the Audio Out ports on the back of the T1 all the time. Then when I switch to headphones, I turn the speakers off and simply plug my headphones into the T1 and turn up the volume on the T1 (it's always at the minimum position when listening to speakers - I adjust the volume on the speakers). 

 

I think I read somewhere that running speakers and headphones from the T1 at the same time is not a good idea, but if the speakers are turned off when my headphones are plugged in, is that ok? Or should I be unplugging the speakers each time?

 

Thanks!


May I know why it's not a good idea? I'd been doing that for a long time and never run into a problem. Yep, I just turn off speaker and change to headphone and adjust volume.

post #5588 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 


May I know why it's not a good idea? I'd been doing that for a long time and never run into a problem. Yep, I just turn off speaker and change to headphone and adjust volume.

I can't remember where I read that, but I'll try to find the source tonight after work. I believe it had something to do with the T1 powering two sources from both outputs at the same time, but that shouldn't come into play if the speakers are turned off. 

 

Anyway, I'm completely new to this so I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything that can damage my system!

post #5589 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgib View Post
 

I can't remember where I read that, but I'll try to find the source tonight after work. I believe it had something to do with the T1 powering two sources from both outputs at the same time, but that shouldn't come into play if the speakers are turned off. 

 

Anyway, I'm completely new to this so I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything that can damage my system!

Hmmm... But the speaker is turned off right? Anyway, if you feel insecure then you can remove the RCA cable and re-insert them when needed.

post #5590 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 

Hmmm... But the speaker is turned off right? Anyway, if you feel insecure then you can remove the RCA cable and re-insert them when needed.

Nah, I'm not too worried about it, it was just something that I remembered reading a while back. If that's what you do and you haven't run into any problems then that should be fine. I do turn the speakers off and logically this seems like it would be enough to eliminate any potential damage from running both sources at once, if that type of damage is even possible. Thanks for your help!

post #5591 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler View Post
 

 

I assumed you had checked the ground first. 

Actually the T1 power supply I have has no ground. Once I thought about grounding I just wanted to get the T1 away from the air conditioner. Motors are noisy on the line and a air conditioner seemed the ticket to screw with things. I figured the power supply would have had the proper conditioning hardware in it due to the apparent build quality but I suppose it wasn't good enough (surprising due to the weight of the thing). Once it was on the other side of the surge hardware things were hunky dory. Odd, but it worked.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoss View Post

Just a question Goo... When you say onboard are you talking soundcard? I found ALC889 does sound alright, but the bass was loose for my taste. I was also surprised that most people dismiss soundcards as noisy/low quality/etc. Older ones for sure, but newer ones can sound ok.

Well that was a good guess mikoss, that's the one. Mines in a Asus p8p67-d. I like it quite a lot. The built in headphone amp has been great so far, have to put it at 50-60 to get to a good level with dt 990s but that still leaves some headroom. Bass to me is good too. But then again it may be a case of ignorance is bliss. I had mentioned in my first post that the T1 is my first amp; tube, dac, or otherwise. I had a Gold Lion in the T1 and had a good long session with my ath-m50s and dt 990s 250ohm. I pulled the gain in down to 10 (i think the number was) as well.

 

It was nice, definitely and clearly better, but when compared to the onboard it wasn't $200+ better. Headphones seems to have a much bigger effect/difference to $ ratio with what I own so far. $200 in headphones seems to go a lot farther than $200 in a amp/dac. My headphone exploration has been limited so far (whenever I get around to affording to pick up something kinda deal). I'm always on the lookout for deals where the sound is better than the price tag would make you think.

 

Anyways, I figure once I have a really nice pair an amp and dac will suddenly be the cheap way to boost the quality even further. When the time comes I think I'll go with a Schiit Vali/Modi stack. I like the reviews and more than anything what the Schiit guys are all about, if it turns out well they may have quite the loyal customer. Anyone know what's the better inputr? USB or optical? 

 

The T1 was cool despite it's issues but it still got sent back to be invested in a new pair of headphones. What they will be is up in the air. Any ideas? I do lean towards phones with good bass.


Edited by Goophoba - 7/16/14 at 7:28pm
post #5592 of 6434

There is no issue with this.  I leave my headphones plugged in and also run the audio output to a receiver that is powering my desk speakers.  All I do is turn up whichever I want to listen to.

post #5593 of 6434

I've had a great time with my Aune T1, but I finally decided to upgrade to some higher-end gear. I have my Aune T1 and three used NOS tubes that I used with them up for sale here and here. Do check it out if you're interested!

post #5594 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjj89 View Post
 

I've had a great time with my Aune T1, but I finally decided to upgrade to some higher-end gear. I have my Aune T1 and three used NOS tubes that I used with them up for sale here and here. Do check it out if you're interested!


Just out of curiosity, what are you upgrading to?

post #5595 of 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkwgk View Post
 


Just out of curiosity, what are you upgrading to?

 

I just got me an ODAC + Lyr (with '74 Voskhod Rocket Logos) for my HE-560. I got an ODAC since I didn't want to deal with tube rolling at both the DAC and amp stage (finding the perfect synergy would be hard) and the Lyr for more power to bring out the most in these orthos. I just did a side-by-side comparison of the ODAC vs Aune T1 DAC (with my Amperex 7308) and Lyr vs Aune T1 Amp and it really wasn't that easy to pick out the differences. The differences were far more subtle between the DACs (couldn't hear the difference on classic rock tracks but separation and bass extension was better with the ODAC on EDM tracks; the Aune T1 DAC was smoother but slightly less detailed), and slightly more obvious with the Amps (Aune T1 had more pronounce, sibilant highs, slightly less separation, and less textured bass).

 

The Aune T1 is definitely amazing value. You experience diminishing returns upgrading from it, but such is the nature of this hobby :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***