Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 332

post #4966 of 6354

My He-400s come tomorrow. I ultimately decided on them because they're easier to drive and supposedly a perfect match for hip hop and jazz. My question regarding the T1 is re: Amperex 7308. Ive been looking for a new tube, and I'd like to buy the best one possible for what I listen to. Is this the right way to go? I can snag a pair for about $80. Please advise.

post #4967 of 6354

Since this is a tube DAC only is it ok to use driver grade tube in it. I seen someone mention that so it got me wondering. Anyway have any insight into this at all.

post #4968 of 6354

driver grade is fine.

post #4969 of 6354

Thinking of buying a few tubes but I really don't know how to choose besides looking at the compatible sockets for the T1. Do I just base my shopping choices on the ones that have reviews? Can I just get a random ECC88 tube and it should work with the T1? I see a bunch of cheap ones on eBay that's from Europe and I was wondering if these are even worth my attention.

 

Help?

Right now I have a Vacuum Tube 6DJ8 / ECC88 and the stock tube. I was thinking of getting the Genalex Gold Lion but I was wondering if I should get 2-3 cheap tubes with that price instead.

 

Thanks. I listen to any genre but I will be using the Aune with Denon D2000's and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros.

post #4970 of 6354

Go back and read this thread they give TONS of advice on tubes in just the first few pages, hell even on page 1 post 1 bottom he lists nice pairings but yea I hear ya man I'm in same boat wondering what to get or even understanding their ratings and little ins and outs between same type. I'm as lost as you are really, but I'm reading entire thread up to page 120 lol.

post #4971 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
 

Go back and read this thread they give TONS of advice on tubes in just the first few pages, hell even on page 1 post 1 bottom he lists nice pairings but yea I hear ya man I'm in same boat wondering what to get or even understanding their ratings and little ins and outs between same type. I'm as lost as you are really, but I'm reading entire thread up to page 120 lol.

Yeah most likely just gonna get the Gold Lion since it seems to score well across the board. There's also the Amperex OG ECC88... But I'm just curious about the old cheaper tubes, what is the downside to these NOS from Russia and etc? I'm assuming they all work with the Aune.

Are these random cheap tubes more like wildcard tubes then?

 

I'm most likely going to get a gold lion, or the amperex or a JJ 6922 + Electro Harmonix 6922. 

 

post #4972 of 6354

I only have 6 tubes so far, buy I have the 3 listed in your post and they are all very good. I do like the Gold Lion the best.



 

post #4973 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjacq View Post
 

Yeah most likely just gonna get the Gold Lion since it seems to score well across the board. There's also the Amperex OG ECC88... But I'm just curious about the old cheaper tubes, what is the downside to these NOS from Russia and etc? I'm assuming they all work with the Aune.

Are these random cheap tubes more like wildcard tubes then?

 

I'm most likely going to get a gold lion, or the amperex or a JJ 6922 + Electro Harmonix 6922. 

 

Hey Jcacq, welcome to the Aune family :P

 

The cheaper tubes aren't exactly wildcards... I would say they just represent the sound differently, and some people prefer a more neutral/transparent presentation. To be honest, you may still enjoy the cheaper tubes, as I've personally found some of the higher priced tubes offer just a touch more (clearer/detailed highs, or tighter bass with more impact).

 

I don't think you'd go wrong trying the cheaper tubes out, and also you can find some really great deals on ebay if you have the patience.

examples of used tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6922-E88CC-6DJ8-tubes-/301133026782

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371020153374

 

and some other still available listings:

ecc88's (nice highs) around $45 each...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370952388887

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360860036284

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231167736803

e188cc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111301724762

 

voshkod rocket nos, cheap $22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201064852058

 

philips jan 6922 used, $50 for a pair

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/One-Matched-Pair-of-JAN-6922-Tubes-By-Philips-of-USA-/370969328514

 

amperex bb 6dj8 nos, cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6DJ8-tube-/131155674736

 

and here you go... two OG's testing strong for $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Amperex-Heerlen-6DJ8-Vacuum-Tubes-Tested-GAE-Series-Same-Codes-Dimpled-Disc-/151266354513

 

(I'm sure these will all be snatched up very quickly ;)

post #4974 of 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoss View Post
 

Hey Jcacq, welcome to the Aune family :P

 

The cheaper tubes aren't exactly wildcards... I would say they just represent the sound differently, and some people prefer a more neutral/transparent presentation. To be honest, you may still enjoy the cheaper tubes, as I've personally found some of the higher priced tubes offer just a touch more (clearer/detailed highs, or tighter bass with more impact).

 

I don't think you'd go wrong trying the cheaper tubes out, and also you can find some really great deals on ebay if you have the patience.

examples of used tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6922-E88CC-6DJ8-tubes-/301133026782

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371020153374

 

and some other still available listings:

ecc88's (nice highs) around $45 each...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370952388887

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360860036284

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231167736803

e188cc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111301724762

 

voshkod rocket nos, cheap $22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201064852058

 

philips jan 6922 used, $50 for a pair

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/One-Matched-Pair-of-JAN-6922-Tubes-By-Philips-of-USA-/370969328514

 

amperex bb 6dj8 nos, cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6DJ8-tube-/131155674736

 

and here you go... two OG's testing strong for $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Amperex-Heerlen-6DJ8-Vacuum-Tubes-Tested-GAE-Series-Same-Codes-Dimpled-Disc-/151266354513

 

(I'm sure these will all be snatched up very quickly ;)

 

Wow you really went out of your way! Thank you so much and definitely going to look for a few cheap tubes to try out. Wish I had enough to just buy them all haha :). Thank you again. 

post #4975 of 6354

Yea what he said, thanks so much for taking the time Jjacq. Really helps us out because even though I been reading this thread non stop since yesterday. I'm still at a bit of a loss as to picking the actual right version of what I'm looking for 99% of the time.

post #4976 of 6354

This might be a dumb question, forgive me if it is...

 

If I wanted to hook up my Aune T1 to an amp and speakers, would it be better to go with a solid state amp, or a tube amp?

I'm thinking solid state since there is already a buffer tube in the Aune... if I used another tube amp would it alter the sound too much?

 

Just wondering. I ended up buying a SS amp and some speakers today (waiting a couple of weeks for them to come in), but I was considering getting a SE tube amp in the future.

post #4977 of 6354

Yea it would alter the sound. But you can match all the tubes and it would probably be ok, I read some talk of just that thing earlier on in the thread. One person hated how it sounded but was using different tubes, another person I think said to match tubes and give it a go. Oh there are pics earlier in the thread around page 12 or so of this being used with tube amp's they looked real nice. Pics of someone using it with a Schiit Modi, that looked cool. The fun never seems to end with this thing.

 

I plan on at least testing by line out to my receiver and hearing DAC on my pretty nice Paradigm Studio 100 v3's. Either way I'm trying to nail down if I want tubes or since I've never heard a tube anything of any kind, hell I've never even heard a real amp of any kind.

 

I'm using my on board audio from motherboard which is supposed to be very nice at least. ASRock Purity sound amp section can run 600 ohm so they say. And it does sound miles better than anything else I've ever had my headphones plugged into so this from what I read should give me WOW factor. Or so I'm hoping.

 

Here are the ones from my reading that we'll all want to try I bet

Ultron PCC189 "white or golden"
Miniwatt-Dario PCC189
Amperex 6DJ8 "Orange Globe" GAC
Mullard ECC88 (European designation for 6DJ8) Holland GAE

I bought that bb you listed above because for that price whatever , I seen BB listed earlier in thread and it's at least ok and for that price I said heck with it. My problem is I have no idea when my Aune will ship because of where I bought it, could be a month for all i know. Which means I couldn't test whatever I buy in a timely manner so...


Edited by hdtv00 - 4/2/14 at 7:18pm
post #4978 of 6354

Haven't tried out the bb's yet but I'm sure it will sound lovely.

 

Here's what I've collected so far... I think I will stop for a bit because I'm feeling obsessed, but I enjoy most of the tubes I've tried. (maybe 5 of these so far)

 

Sovtek 6922

Voskhod Rocket 6h23p

Sylvania 6dj8

Westinghouse 6dj8

GE smoked 6dj8

 

Philips JAN 6922

Amperex OG 6dj8 (Germany & Holland)

Sylvania 7308

Philips/Amperex Miniwatt 7308 (SQ/PQ)

Siemens E88CC

RTC Mullard E188CC

post #4979 of 6354

Yes that's where I got it. And yea that a heck of a collection you got there.

 

And I just read this from earlier post which is dead on too

 

"Seriously, I have read all 122 pages. There's lots of info, sometimes contradicting info . After a while, ECC88, PCC88, PCC189, 6DJ8, 6N1P, 6N23P, etc. started to sound the same and I'll got confused."

 

Yea I'm at that point page 122 and yes it does all blend in after awhile. So it is hard for someone who only knew about tube stuff to get any kind of real actual grasp of it all even by page 122.

 

Like ok they tell us kind, with numbers, but then there are other factors sometimes. A-frame vs not, platter vs ring or something. See I can say it I don't have a clue which is better. Earlier I got pointed to a tube that was RCA branded, which I never would have guessed in a million years it's what I would want. Anyway yea my head is gonna implode haha.


Edited by hdtv00 - 4/2/14 at 7:55pm
post #4980 of 6354

Hi guys. 
I live in Russia, here on the forums are no any information about Aune T1.
Please tell me how good it sounds? Worth buying it, or it is necessary to change the stock tube(6922)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***