Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 28

post #406 of 5706

Btw had anyone chance compare T1 to Hifiman EF5 or some Little Dot? I know it's kinda different story, but I'm still curious.

post #407 of 5706
Thread Starter 

Hey guys I'd like upate my impressions of the Amperex 7308. I did some more A/Bing with it and the Rocket Logo 6n23p and....I think I'm going to go ahead and stick with the Rocket Logo for a couple reasons. One is that the Rocket Logo has this strange aggressiveness in the vocals that I find addicting with my particular headphones.   Secondly, the price difference make it a much easier to have backups of the Rocket Logo on hand. My impressions of the 7308 that I posted earlier still stand. In fact, I think my taste in this respect combined with my choice in headphones puts me in a very, very small minority when it comes to these tubes. For those reasons, my impressions should be understood as extremely personal to my taste and that if a person were to ask me right now which tube they will like more, I would direct them to the Amperex 7308

post #408 of 5706

Bought one more tube - Mullard ECC88. Will share impressions after I get my Tesla PCC88.

 

joeq70, if you have time, can you make more analytical comparsion against 6N23P and 6922EH (if you have it)?

I`m interested in following differences: soundstage/headroom, instrument/detail separation, vocals, highs/mids/lows, more suitable for rock/metal/jazz or electronic music?


Edited by CoiL - 1/28/13 at 12:15pm
post #409 of 5706
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

 

At the beginning I was interested about Genalex Gold lion - does anyone have it and can compare it with 6922EH or 6N23P for example? Descriptions everywhere say it`s the best quality new tube out there. Again I`m quite sceptical about it and is it really worth the money?

 

Coil, I have a Genalex Gold Lion that now has had about 25 hours of playing time in the T1. It sounds great, but not earth shatteringly better compared to the stock tube.

 

I am not at all qualified to do this, but I will try and do a comparison between the Gold Lion and the 6922EH this week. My best headphone is a V-Moda m-80 (which personally I really enjoy). So don't expect anything analytical.

 

I will look into soundstage/headroom, instrument/detail separation, vocals, highs/mids/lows, more suitable for rock/metal/jazz or electronic music etc.

 

Since I installed the Gold Lion, I have not listened to the 6922EH anymore. So I am kind of curious as well. My gut feeling is that the 6922EH is a pretty good tube that can stand its ground against many of the more exotic and rare tubes mentioned in this thread.

post #410 of 5706

I´m also thinking that overall 6922EH is great tube and can stand out to much more expensive ones or come close enough not to buy expensive one. Waiting eagerly for your comparsion and opinion if genalex is worth the extra money. Thanks for you trouble!

post #411 of 5706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Bought one more tube - Mullard ECC88. Will share impressions after I get my Tesla PCC88.

 

joeq70, if you have time, can you make more analytical comparsion against 6N23P and 6922EH (if you have it)?

I`m interested in following differences: soundstage/headroom, instrument/detail separation, vocals, highs/mids/lows, more suitable for rock/metal/jazz or electronic music?

I actually do not have the 6922EH--sorry!

post #412 of 5706
Ok, y'all seem to be getting good results so I picked one up. It will take me a while but will give impressions. I have many nos tubes and will see. I don't see how a amperex 7308 can be warm but maybe it is in this application.
post #413 of 5706
Has anyone tried any Cca tubes with the Aune yet?  
 
I'm curious how some of the really high end tubes sound like the Telefunken diamond bottom, Cca or 6992, Siemens gray shield/silver shield Cca or Dario Miniwatt.   I guess impressions of any of these tubes outside of the Aune would be helpful too.
 
I still like the 6N23P and I think it is a great tube.   The 7308 is better, but it is considerably more expensive, especially when you consider that you'll probably want to have a backup (or two) to last you a few years and in case of an accident.   If the extra $80 doesn't bother you though, it is worth considering.
 
The differences I hear between the 7308 and the 6N23P in the categories you mention: 
 
soundstage - 7308's soundstage is three dimensional in comparison to the 6N23P.   It broadens the soundstage vertically, horizontally and has much greater depth.   
 
Headroom - Volume output is substantially cleaner and better from the 7308 vs. the 6N23P, but the 6N23P does have very good performance at low volumes.  
 
vocals & instrumentation - vocal performances benefit from the soundstage and imaging qualities of the 7308, the main vocals are centered and backup vocalists will be placed in the mix appropriately without bleeding into one another.  Instrumentation has the same effect, everything is distinct and tack sharp.  The 6N23P does a good of this as well, but I feel like it lacks the multi-dimensionality and thus vocals feel flatter and have less of a "wow" factor.   Mids/Lows/Highs are all well defined, nothing is sacrificed here top to bottom with the 7308.  The 6N23P again does a good job here, but at the lower end of the mids and the lows I perceive some loss of articulation occassionally (again, this isn't bad, it's just noticeable if you go back to the tube after experiencing the 7308).   
 
Genre Suitability - I feel like the 7308 can render any genre excellently, I listen to a very wide range of styles and I never feel like the 7308 has any shortcomings.   The 6N23P is very good for rock/metal IMO, but I am not as much into it for electronic, classical or acoustic music.
post #414 of 5706
I'm pretty sure I've got all those. Haven't cracked open the tube case in a while though
post #415 of 5706
Here is a perfect description by jahn on my personal favorite on my home setup.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/184032/amperex-orange-globe-6dj8s#post_2211131
post #416 of 5706
Well I bought the T1 from Rock Grotto with the free Mullard EC88. Hopefully I'll have it in about a week. Can't wait to use my HE-400s from my PC!
post #417 of 5706

hey sorry if this has already been mentioned, I've scrolled threw quite a few pages and didn't see it asked yet. How does the aune t1 compare to something like the schiit magni+modi stack. I have a pair of hd600s coming and I'm trying to decide how to drive them.

post #418 of 5706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpchop88 View Post

hey sorry if this has already been mentioned, I've scrolled threw quite a few pages and didn't see it asked yet. How does the aune t1 compare to something like the schiit magni+modi stack. I have a pair of hd600s coming and I'm trying to decide how to drive them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post

Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

 

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 

The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).

The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

 

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance

Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

Here you are, good sir.

post #419 of 5706
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

Has anyone tried any Cca tubes with the Aune yet?  
 
I'm curious how some of the really high end tubes sound like the Telefunken diamond bottom, Cca or 6992, Siemens gray shield/silver shield Cca or Dario Miniwatt.   I guess impressions of any of these tubes outside of the Aune would be helpful too.
 
I still like the 6N23P and I think it is a great tube.   The 7308 is better, but it is considerably more expensive, especially when you consider that you'll probably want to have a backup (or two) to last you a few years and in case of an accident.   If the extra $80 doesn't bother you though, it is worth considering.
 
The differences I hear between the 7308 and the 6N23P in the categories you mention: 
 
soundstage - 7308's soundstage is three dimensional in comparison to the 6N23P.   It broadens the soundstage vertically, horizontally and has much greater depth.   
 
Headroom - Volume output is substantially cleaner and better from the 7308 vs. the 6N23P, but the 6N23P does have very good performance at low volumes.  
 
vocals & instrumentation - vocal performances benefit from the soundstage and imaging qualities of the 7308, the main vocals are centered and backup vocalists will be placed in the mix appropriately without bleeding into one another.  Instrumentation has the same effect, everything is distinct and tack sharp.  The 6N23P does a good of this as well, but I feel like it lacks the multi-dimensionality and thus vocals feel flatter and have less of a "wow" factor.   Mids/Lows/Highs are all well defined, nothing is sacrificed here top to bottom with the 7308.  The 6N23P again does a good job here, but at the lower end of the mids and the lows I perceive some loss of articulation occassionally (again, this isn't bad, it's just noticeable if you go back to the tube after experiencing the 7308).   
 
Genre Suitability - I feel like the 7308 can render any genre excellently, I listen to a very wide range of styles and I never feel like the 7308 has any shortcomings.   The 6N23P is very good for rock/metal IMO, but I am not as much into it for electronic, classical or acoustic music.

Thanks for comparing! Actually, from your comments, that 7308 seems to sound a lot like the Amperex that I have. What are the other tubes you have? Interested in those too.

post #420 of 5706

I have these as well, going to only do short capsule reviews because I really don't spend much time with them (nor do I want to).

 

6N23P-EB (like the 6N23P but LOUDER, low end is tighter than the 6N23P but overall does not sound too good at lower listening levels).

Amperex Bugle Boy (like the 7308 but a tad lower quality, somewhere between the 6N23P and the 7308 in terms of SQ, soundstage is closer to the 7308, maybe not as sharp overall?)

Stock tube (piece of s**t).

 

I'd like to try, or at least get descriptions from people who have tried:

 

Siemens Gray Shield Cca (E88CC)

Telefunken Cca (E88CC)

Mullard CV2492

Philips Miniwatt 7308


Edited by toschek - 1/28/13 at 4:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***