Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 239

post #3571 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestaRossa View Post

My noob question: so I have the T1 connected to my pc via usb and line level output connected to jbl lsr305 speakers. The volume pot on the T1 only controls the volume of the headphone but not line output. So I'm just wondering, instead of adjusting the volume knobs on the back of the speakers, can I adjust the volume in foobar without loosing SQ?
Depends on your set up. If you have it set up to output at 24bit and you're only playing 16 bit files, then yes. You can adjust volume via software(preferably through window's mixer)You get some overhead when playing 16bit because it gets "upsampled" to 24 bit (extra bits get tacked on to the end of the 16) and adjusting the volume down will only throw away the tacked on bits.
post #3572 of 6432
Double
post #3573 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestaRossa View Post

My noob question: so I have the T1 connected to my pc via usb and line level output connected to jbl lsr305 speakers. The volume pot on the T1 only controls the volume of the headphone but not line output. So I'm just wondering, instead of adjusting the volume knobs on the back of the speakers, can I adjust the volume in foobar without loosing SQ?
Depends on your set up. If you have it set up to output at 24bit and you're only playing 16 bit files, then yes. You can adjust volume via software(preferably through window's mixer)You get some overhead when playing 16bit because it gets "upsampled" to 24 bit (extra bits get tacked on to the end of the 16) and adjusting the volume down will only throw away the tacked on bits.

Thanks and wow that's more complicated than I thought it would be. Guess I'd better just stop being lazy then:D
post #3574 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

 

If you use search, then I have given many comments about Tungsram PCC88. Indeed it`s good with electronic music and has better bass & kick than stock 6922EH.

But since you are located in US I recommend you to get JAN Sylvania 6922 green label. It has also great soundstage, great bass & kick and mids are better than Tungsram.

JAN Sylvania 6922 is second best tube I have for electronic music after Miniwatt-Dario ECC189. Also that Sylvania is much better when vocals come into play with EDM.

Here is one good offer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6922-Sylvania-Electronic-Tubes-/251024184077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7235130d

 

 

Please read 1st post useful info by Salvatore! But I think you can`t find any useful info about setting up T1 with Mac from there.

Cool.  This one does seem to have some good reviews.  I was reading about some others and Bugle Boy kept popping up.  For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Tubes-6DJ8-ECC88-Amperex-Bugle-Boy-Test-88-94-/291035700107

 

Would this tube work for the T1 and how would you say it would compare to the Sylvania?  

 

I appreciate your input CoilL, thanks!

post #3575 of 6432

I don`t have bugle boy but for EDM you should go for JAN Sylvania 6922 I think, as much I have read about BB`s, they are good but mainly for rock/alternative/jazz, for EDM they might be too "intimate" sounding.

post #3576 of 6432

Cool!  Thanks Coil!  

 

Have a good day!

post #3577 of 6432

How do you connect computer or monitor speakers to the T1? It has the two RCA outs, so how do you connect them to two speakers? Can they be connected to speakers that have XLR, RCA, or standard bare wire connections? 

 

If the studio monitor speaker has built in amp, can the T1 still be used to send audio to them?

post #3578 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 

In my opinion, don't. It might be decent with an HE-400 but it is absolutely horrible with my Fostex T50RP (low impedance ortho). You'll be better off looking somewhere else.

 

No idea on the 8x factor though.

 

A DAC changes from digital to analog, as you've said. But each tube is different and has an effect on the sound, this effect is called colouration, because the tubes add something that wasn't originally there. A tube changes the sound as it flows through it. Since it isn't a tube amp, the sound should isn't affected by the tubes in an amp(From what my limited research tells me)

 

Colouring has nothing to with how can a tube in a DAC colour a sound, even an attenuator or a cable can cause colouration imo.

 

Mind you, I might be wrong.

 

Well I just purchased a set of HE-400's so i'll tell you guys if I think it's good, I sure damn hope so, apparently from the OP it sounds very good. 

post #3579 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
 

How do you connect computer or monitor speakers to the T1? It has the two RCA outs, so how do you connect them to two speakers? Can they be connected to speakers that have XLR, RCA, or standard bare wire connections? 

 

If the studio monitor speaker has built in amp, can the T1 still be used to send audio to them?

 

 

Yes, but the RCA outs on the T1 have no volume control.    So you either need some alternate analog volume control for the speakers, or would have to adjust the volume in software on the computer.

 

Something like the SM Pro Audio Nano Patch passive monitor controller would work very well for this.  http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus

 

  -Mike

post #3580 of 6432

Hey all, I am a complete noob to tubes so sorry if this question seems basic/stupid.  Bought the T1's a few months ago and have been using the stock electro-harmonix 6922EH it came with.  Although working fine initially, within the past few weeks there has been a brief crackling sound every 10-20 seconds or so when sound/music is played.  While the sound is otherwise fine, it gets really irritating and I find myself listening straight from my PC more often than not.

 

For reference, I'm pairing it with an HE-400 and Q701 and the gain is currently set to 0. The crackling is also detectable when hooked up to a set of Audioengine A2 speakers.

 

I'm guessing it's probably some defect with the tube but I'm just hesitant to go out and buy another considering it's only a few months old so far.  The pins of the tube appear fine otherwise.  Any advice?

post #3581 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by wippo808 View Post
 

Hey all, I am a complete noob to tubes so sorry if this question seems basic/stupid.  Bought the T1's a few months ago and have been using the stock electro-harmonix 6922EH it came with.  Although working fine initially, within the past few weeks there has been a brief crackling sound every 10-20 seconds or so when sound/music is played.  While the sound is otherwise fine, it gets really irritating and I find myself listening straight from my PC more often than not.

 

For reference, I'm pairing it with an HE-400 and Q701 and the gain is currently set to 0. The crackling is also detectable when hooked up to a set of Audioengine A2 speakers.

 

I'm guessing it's probably some defect with the tube but I'm just hesitant to go out and buy another considering it's only a few months old so far.  The pins of the tube appear fine otherwise.  Any advice?

First, check if the distortion is reproducible at the same location on your source file - that would mean a source file problem.

 

If that is not the case, update your audio drivers. I had the same issues of 1sec distortion every few minutes & it turned out to be my audio drivers.

 

If the issue only appears when you are plugged into your t1, then it is a problem w/ your t1. can be anything from tubes to it being a defective unit... I would get a exchange or refund if possible.

post #3582 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

First, check if the distortion is reproducible at the same location on your source file - that would mean a source file problem.

 

If that is not the case, update your audio drivers. I had the same issues of 1sec distortion every few minutes & it turned out to be my audio drivers.

 

If the issue only appears when you are plugged into your t1, then it is a problem w/ your t1. can be anything from tubes to it being a defective unit... I would get a exchange or refund if possible.

That happened to my DAC like a few months ago, I don't know why but I had to return it and get a new one. It wasn't the tube. I hope it does not happen again.. and it's happened to a few others here now it seems. I'm a little worried, but the new one from hong kong is doing very well at the moment. 

 

Just purchased an Amperax 7308 Platinum to go with my HE 400 and T1. Pretty excited! I heard people saying tubes die out over time, but if I spent 100$ on a tube... i'd hope it would last alot longer than just a year. Will update how it sounds! 


Edited by Devmoo - 12/18/13 at 8:33pm
post #3583 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devmoo View Post
 

That happened to my DAC like a few months ago, I don't know why but I had to return it and get a new one. It wasn't the tube. I hope it does not happen again.. and it's happened to a few others here now it seems. I'm a little worried, but the new one from hong kong is doing very well at the moment. 

 

Just purchased an Amperax 7308 Platinum to go with my HE 400 and T1. Pretty excited! I heard people saying tubes die out over time, but if I spent 100$ on a tube... i'd hope it would last alot longer than just a year. Will update how it sounds! 

 

Tubes definitely die over time, some sooner than others.   The 6DJ8 family was rated at 5,000 hrs life expectancy.  I believe the 6922 and 7308 are rated for 10,000 hours, but I could be mistaken on that.   Keep in mind, though,  that this is old technology, and there are no guarantees on the lifespan of a 30-40+ year old tube.   Definitely keep that in mind when buying more expensive tubes, it's part of the gamble of going with vintage items like this.

 

That said, here's hoping to many many hours of enjoyment from that 7308!  :beerchug:

 

 

   -Mike

post #3584 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

First, check if the distortion is reproducible at the same location on your source file - that would mean a source file problem.

If that is not the case, update your audio drivers. I had the same issues of 1sec distortion every few minutes & it turned out to be my audio drivers.

If the issue only appears when you are plugged into your t1, then it is a problem w/ your t1. can be anything from tubes to it being a defective unit... I would get a exchange or refund if possible.



Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, the distortion seems random and despite updating the audio drivers, it still remained.  Think I'm going to try and exchange it but thing is, the place I got it from has says it is sold as-is.  Be kinda disappointing if that is the case, as I got it in early Nov. actually


Edited by wippo808 - 12/18/13 at 11:01pm
post #3585 of 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by wippo808 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, the distortion seems random and despite updating the audio drivers, it still remained.  Think I'm going to try and exchange it but thing is, the place I got it from has a policy of being sold as-is.  Be kinda disappointing if that was the case, seeing as I got it in early Nov. actually.

 

You should test to see if you can isolate the issue to your T1. try just playing stuff direct from your source & if the issue reappears, it can be a computer/player/jack issue.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***