Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 208

post #3106 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

. The m100s are pretty sensitive and efficient, I don't think amping will help or hurt it. I don't notice any difference when I amp/not amp my m-80s and the T1 didn't make the highs sound better which I was looking for. V-modas are pretty, "What you hear is what you get" with their tuning. It's a DJ type can so warm and smooth highs are where it excels on.

 

 

So as long as I have a good DAC my v-moda m100's will pretty much as good as they are now with a titanium hd soundcard?

post #3107 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s121 View Post

So as long as I have a good DAC my v-moda m100's will pretty much as good as they are now with a titanium hd soundcard?
Pretty much. The HP itself will make up 90-95% of what you're hearing. dacs, amps, cables, etc will make up the other 5-10%. Nothing you buy will make it instantly become godly hps so if you like what you have, just make sure the dac/source is clean and you're good to go. Try a Fiio E17. Can be found for around 100, has hardware EQ. Neutral so it doesn't color the sound can be used as a portable amp. It's a swiss army knife of sorts. I still keep it around for other uses like, plugging into my TV or 360 for HP output w/o buying a gimmicky headset.
post #3108 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Give the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 a try, should be about $10-20 shipped on ebay. Probably the cheapest solution.
 

Should be a significant upgrade? I'd been googling and I get this:

 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Amperex+6DJ8+ECC88+Orange+Globe+Tubes+Matched+Quad

 

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/amperex-6dj8-ecc88

 

 There's a lot of 6DJ8, which one to get huh? Very new in tube. And, got different sound for different ''series''? And is it the same with the tube that TS used, RCA labeled Amperex 6dj8/E88cc.

Please start reading Salvatore`s collected info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2010#post_9502294


The Amperex we are talking about is with Orange Globe logo (referred as OG). Then there`s also different factory codes that sound littlebit different. For me GAC is best, then GA8, then GAG and then GAE.


Edited by CoiL - 10/30/13 at 2:17pm
post #3109 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post


Pretty much. The HP itself will make up 90-95% of what you're hearing. dacs, amps, cables, etc will make up the other 5-10%. Nothing you buy will make it instantly become godly hps so if you like what you have, just make sure the dac/source is clean and you're good to go. Try a Fiio E17. Can be found for around 100, has hardware EQ. Neutral so it doesn't color the sound can be used as a portable amp. It's a swiss army knife of sorts. I still keep it around for other uses like, plugging into my TV or 360 for HP output w/o buying a gimmicky headset.


thanks man, maybe in the future I can get around to buying a pair of ATH A900x's like I want and get a real tube amp like this.

post #3110 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s121 View Post
 


thanks man, maybe in the future I can get around to buying a pair of ATH A900x's like I want and get a real tube amp like this.

Just a heads up, this is a tube DAC with a SS amp.

post #3111 of 6440

To be accurate, it`s SS amp + SS tube buffered DAC ;)

 

Here`s one GAC with good price @ US: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ECC88-6DJ8-HOLLAND-DIMPLE-GETTER-GAC-SERIES-TEST-NOS-/331052375320?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4d14425d18


Edited by CoiL - 10/30/13 at 2:13pm
post #3112 of 6440

Just picked up one a T1 yesterday, very happy with it so far.

 

I was not at all impressed with the stock EH6922 tube, but I've been rolling in a bunch of others to try out and some are outstanding.

 

I've had a Lyr for a while now and have accumulated a ton of tubes that are compatible with it (over 1100 at this point) and was looking for an inexpensive second tube amp that wouldn't require different tubes.

 

There are some additional tubes that should work in the T1 that aren't on the FAQ... I'll try out some of what I've got and list them out if they work if anyone's curious/interested?

 

 

   -Mike

post #3113 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
 

Just picked up one a T1 yesterday, very happy with it so far.

 

I was not at all impressed with the stock EH6922 tube, but I've been rolling in a bunch of others to try out and some are outstanding.

 

I've had a Lyr for a while now and have accumulated a ton of tubes that are compatible with it (over 1100 at this point) and was looking for an inexpensive second tube amp that wouldn't require different tubes.

 

There are some additional tubes that should work in the T1 that aren't on the FAQ... I'll try out some of what I've got and list them out if they work if anyone's curious/interested?

 

 

   -Mike


Yes please! I find the 6922EH to be good and not very different from a 6DJ8 orange globe - interesting that you don't like it.  Which phones are you testing with currently?

post #3114 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post
 


Yes please! I find the 6922EH to be good and not very different from a 6DJ8 orange globe - interesting that you don't like it.  Which phones are you testing with currently?

 

Ethan,

 

I'm using a pair of Beyer DT-990/250s right now.    I sold my LCD-2 earlier this year to fund some planar speakers, so the Beyers are currently my go-to cans.

 

To my ears, with these headphones, the 6922EH that the amp came with sounds thin on the low end.  It's got some extension but lacks weight.  I find it generally cold-sounding, and pretty harsh in the highs.  

 

For the past few hours I've had an ORTF-selected 1972 RTC PCC85 (Mfg by Philips in Holland) tube in and it sounds very good. 

 

A few other things I've rolled through today that I've liked.

 

1959 GE (Philips/Holland) D-Getter 6ES8 -  Warm without being overly lush, very smooth yet detailed. Beautiful mids.

1965 RCA (Mullard/Blackburn) Large O-Getter 6ES8 - similar to above, a bit more bass, bit more treble extension, a bit warmer.

Tungsram PCC189 - need to spend some more time with this one, initial impression was pretty good.

 

 

   -Mike

post #3115 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
 

 

Ethan,

 

I'm using a pair of Beyer DT-990/250s right now.    I sold my LCD-2 earlier this year to fund some planar speakers, so the Beyers are currently my go-to cans.

 

To my ears, with these headphones, the 6922EH that the amp came with sounds thin on the low end.  It's got some extension but lacks weight.  I find it generally cold-sounding, and pretty harsh in the highs.  

 

For the past few hours I've had an ORTF-selected 1972 RTC PCC85 (Mfg by Philips in Holland) tube in and it sounds very good. 

 

A few other things I've rolled through today that I've liked.

 

1959 GE (Philips/Holland) D-Getter 6ES8 -  Warm without being overly lush, very smooth yet detailed. Beautiful mids.

1965 RCA (Mullard/Blackburn) Large O-Getter 6ES8 - similar to above, a bit more bass, bit more treble extension, a bit warmer.

Tungsram PCC189 - need to spend some more time with this one, initial impression was pretty good.

 

 

   -Mike

So, is PCC85 tube compatible with Aune T1?

post #3116 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by isendono View Post
 

So, is PCC85 tube compatible with Aune T1?

 

ECC85 and PCC85 work in it, the PCC85 runs pretty far out of spec on the heater voltage (It's a 9v heater), but the one mentioned above sounds very good.

 

I've also got some other PCC85s that I haven't tried yet.

 

Philips and Mullard 1974s (Herleen)1

1965 Philips (Herleen)

Mazda (unsure of date)

70s Matsu****a (Japan)

Late 50s/very early 60s Mullard Blackburn and Amperex Herleen

Mid-late 60s Telefunken Berlin.

 

   -Mike

post #3117 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post
 


Yes please! I find the 6922EH to be good and not very different from a 6DJ8 orange globe - interesting that you don't like it.  Which phones are you testing with currently?

Mine is 6922 too. So changing to 6DJ8 are not very different?

post #3118 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post

Mine is 6922 too. So changing to 6DJ8 are not very different?
They are similar tubes, how different they are in sound is subjective.
post #3119 of 6440

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased a pair of Centrance Masterclass 2504 speakers (passive) and the Reserve Series Speaker Cables (binding-post). I originally planned to use Aune T1 as the amplifier for the speakers but due to my inexperience, I mix up the plugs and the set-up. The spekaers use banana plugs (or binding-post) while Aune T1 use RCA as audio out. I am now using iMac USB line-in to Aune-T1 as the USB DAC. I would like to ask the following questions:

 

1. If I use USB line-in, does that mean I cannot use the amplifier inside Aune-T1?

2. Is the Aune-T1 powerful enough to push the speakers? Or an extra amp is required/recommended? If so, any cheap options?

3. If Aune-T1 is powerful enough, can I simply use a binding-post to RCA adaptor for the connection?

 

Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions! Much appreciated.

post #3120 of 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenki View Post
 

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased a pair of Centrance Masterclass 2504 speakers (passive) and the Reserve Series Speaker Cables (binding-post). I originally planned to use Aune T1 as the amplifier for the speakers but due to my inexperience, I mix up the plugs and the set-up. The spekaers use banana plugs (or binding-post) while Aune T1 use RCA as audio out. I am now using iMac USB line-in to Aune-T1 as the USB DAC. I would like to ask the following questions:

 

1. If I use USB line-in, does that mean I cannot use the amplifier inside Aune-T1?

2. Is the Aune-T1 powerful enough to push the speakers? Or an extra amp is required/recommended? If so, any cheap options?

3. If Aune-T1 is powerful enough, can I simply use a binding-post to RCA adaptor for the connection?

 

Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions! Much appreciated.

 

Frenki, I think you're mistaking just what the T1 can do.

 

The T1 is a USB DAC, and a solid state headphone amp. 

 

The RCA jacks on the back are for sending audio that has been converted by the DAC to an amplifier. When you use the line out (the RCA) the volume pot has no effect, it just controls the output to the headphones. 

 

You can't, if I'm understanding this correctly, power a speaker from the RCA jacks.

 

So you're going to need an amp as well that can drive your speakers. That's how I have mine set up. RCA out -> Muse M20 t-amp (20watts for $50) -> bookshelf speakers. It works a treat providing you don't need it super loud. 

 

Hope that helps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***