Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 94

post #1396 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

Does the dac still function if you don't have a tube plugged in? Never had a tube anything before so this is new to me

Nope. Doesn't work without a tube. The computer will still detect it but nothing will output when you hit play
post #1397 of 5961
^^ No the DAC will not work, but the line in part will because it doesn't go through the tube.
Edited by toschek - 3/31/13 at 11:21pm
post #1398 of 5961

DAC should still work if RCA line-in is used instead USB. Tube is only a extra buffer after DAC and used only when using USB input.

Haven`t tried it myself but will do it when I reach home after work. 

post #1399 of 5961
^^ Believe me, it works.

It was a huge bummer when I found that out and definitely spurred a round of upgradeitis that eventually lead to a $3500 amp. Upgradeitis is a serious disease with costly treatments and no known cure. It isn't covered by ANY of the major insurance companies either, leading to huge out-of-pocket costs for the victim as well.
Edited by toschek - 4/1/13 at 3:28am
post #1400 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

^^ Believe me, it works.

It was a huge bummer when I found that out and definitely spurred a round of upgradeitis that eventually lead to a $3500 amp. Upgradeitis is a serious disease with costly treatments and no known cure. It isn't covered by ANY of the major insurance companies either, leading to huge out-of-pocket costs for the victim as well.

Dang, that's about the worse case I've ever seen going from a $160 DAC/Headphone amp to a $3500 amp - 2,100 % increase.basshead.gif

post #1401 of 5961

hey guys, I know there's a lot of 'play' room with swapping out tubes and such, but what's the next step beyond or in addition to the Aune T1 in your opinion? I would love to hear your views on what your plans are, since the bug to go the next step is starting to kick in for me, I'd like to hear some chatter on this step forward :)

post #1402 of 5961

Depends, do you prefer tube sound or transistor? For me it`s all the way tube and don`t want anything more than Aune T1 offers ;)

post #1403 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Depends, do you prefer tube sound or transistor? For me it`s all the way tube and don`t want anything more than Aune T1 offers wink.gif

I couldn't really say as I've not tried a solid state version, but seeing that the T1 is a hybrid of sorts, is there any possibility of adding another component to the line for improved sound? Or is it at this point an issue of upgrading the speakers/headphones to run with the T1?
post #1404 of 5961
I dunno about you guys, but if I ever upgrade from the t1, I'd want a desktop amp in a big sturdy form factor, something stackable almost like a receiver that has a built in power supply. Something that looks like the tubemagic d1 plus, but maybe has higher performance http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p
post #1405 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I dunno about you guys, but if I ever upgrade from the t1, I'd want a desktop amp in a big sturdy form factor, something stackable almost like a receiver that has a built in power supply. Something that looks like the tubemagic d1 plus, but maybe has higher performance http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogun View Post

hey guys, I know there's a lot of 'play' room with swapping out tubes and such, but what's the next step beyond or in addition to the Aune T1 in your opinion? I would love to hear your views on what your plans are, since the bug to go the next step is starting to kick in for me, I'd like to hear some chatter on this step forward :)

 

I went from the T1 to the Schiit Lyr and from the Schiit Lyr to the Cary SLI-80 Sig.   They all use 6dj8/6922 tubes in some fashion so I did not lose my tube investment.   A lot of the other desktop amps use the 12AX7/12AU7 or super exotic tubes, like the Woo WA7 that uses a 6C45 which has about three reasonably priced current options and two NOS options that are $500/pair and $2,000 - $3,000/pair.   Woo Audio stuff is awesome though, and I mean no disrespect at all to them, but if you are a tube roller, this amp probably is not for you.

 

I like the Lyr as a midrange option because it's powerful enough to drive any headphone, can act as a preamp, retains your tube investment -and- you can sell it when you upgrade for not too bad a loss.  Their somewhat lower priced Valhalla model is also an option that uses 6922/6dj8 tubes ([B]ONLY[/B]if you buy a current one, the first gen did not allow tube rolling) but it cannot be used as a preamp, so caveat emptor.

 

Another one to look at is the Decware CSP2+ if you can swing it (they sometimes come up on Audiogon, not too often though).  It also uses the 6dj8/6922 tubes.  Decware's stuff is a cut above, and Steve allows you to configure the case you like it.   This amp is great for everything, true OTL and an amazing sound.

 

There is also a whole series of stuff from Little Dot that you guys might want to look into as well.   I do not know a lot about their products, but they are well respected in the Head-Fi community.

 

This is aside from many many other options, I am just thinking off the top of my head of amps where you can use all the tubes you've collected so far.

 

Good luck.


Edited by toschek - 4/1/13 at 10:19am
post #1406 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post

Dang, that's about the worse case I've ever seen going from a $160 DAC/Headphone amp to a $3500 amp - 2,100 % increase.basshead.gif

 

Well, there was more to it than that,. I wanted to be able to run speakers, have multiple inputs, a remote, subwoofer out, point to point wiring, the list goes on and on.   You want those features you have to pay for them.   I bought it off Audiogon though, so I paid nowhere near full price (like 1/2 that).   It is lovely amp and sounds like I am sitting in the 3rd row of a show when I listen through headphones & speakers.   The most wide, deep soundstage I have ever heard and it is smoother than the Jameson's 25 with Jazz.

post #1407 of 5961

I found that I actually like my DT990s now when I'm running them through T1 + Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe Dimple Getter. It balances out the mids with the highs & lows. I can listen w/o eqing the mess out of them unlike the 6922EH. Now I'm not sure if I want to sell the 990s anymore...

post #1408 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogun View Post

hey guys, I know there's a lot of 'play' room with swapping out tubes and such, but what's the next step beyond or in addition to the Aune T1 in your opinion? I would love to hear your views on what your plans are, since the bug to go the next step is starting to kick in for me, I'd like to hear some chatter on this step forward :)

I agree it depends on the way you want to go.  I'm not feeling any need to upgrade around my headphone - and have only had the T1 for a month or so, so I'm still getting acquainted with the sound of the various tubes I have. But I did pick up a used Technics SL-1200 turntable to replace my 35 year old Technics SL-2000 (bottom of the line DD manual that I bought new when I was 21). That is already sucking down cash - LED mod all the way around, another headshell and 45 adapter (didn't have one), a new cartridge (Denon DL-301), and I'll need a dustcover AND, of course, a new phono stage (using a TCC cheapo for now). Thought I was going to get a Yaqin phono stage but reading all the issues about 'em on Audio Karma and DIYAudio I decided to pass. I wouldn't mind a Pro-ject Phono Tube Box S, but that is a bit more money then I'm prepared to spend at the moment.  Then, of course, there is the continued acquisition of music - CDs and vinyl - the whole point of this hobby!! beyersmile.png

post #1409 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

I found that I actually like my DT990s now when I'm running them through T1 + Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe Dimple Getter. It balances out the mids with the highs & lows. I can listen w/o eqing the mess out of them unlike the 6922EH. Now I'm not sure if I want to sell the 990s anymore...

DT990 should be very good cans and its great you don`t have to sell them. Pairing amp/dac with cans is actually pain in the ass, luckily my modded HD-681 mkII is also very good match with Aune T1, I also enjoy Amperex orange GAC very much with them. For me, HD-681 mkII + Aune T1 is ultimate bang-for-a-buck!

Btw, if you get your hands on Ultron PCC189 then certainly try this tube with DT990.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogun View Post


I couldn't really say as I've not tried a solid state version, but seeing that the T1 is a hybrid of sorts, is there any possibility of adding another component to the line for improved sound? Or is it at this point an issue of upgrading the speakers/headphones to run with the T1?

You can use Aune T1 only as solid state DAC too, just use RCA line-in, it excludes tube from audio chain. But for me, Aune T1 loses it`s "magic" then.

If you want to improve Aune T1 sound, tube rolling is one way to go (most of best tubes for aune t1 have been sorted out in this thread already), to find good match for your music and cans.

But maybe it can be also cans mismatch, but unlikely, most well known cans seem to fit great with Aune T1.


Edited by CoiL - 4/1/13 at 1:49pm
post #1410 of 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

DT990 should be very good cans and its great you don`t have to sell them. Pairing amp/dac with cans is actually pain in the ass, luckily my modded HD-681 mkII is also very good match with Aune T1, I also enjoy Amperex orange GAC very much with them. For me, HD-681 mkII + Aune T1 is ultimate bang-for-a-buck!

Btw, if you get your hands on Ultron PCC189 then certainly try this tube with DT990.

 

The bass is still out of this world buuut. It is actually tamed down. It's also less sibilant. I still prefer the DT880s and they pair extremely peeeeerfectly with T1 + amperex orange. I'm still surprised by the huge amount of bass that I get from the DT990s since they're fricking open. I'd hate to see how they perform if someone mods them to closed... 

 

I think I'm still going to end up selling the DT990s and the Objective2 so I can get a Lake People G103.


Edited by MrEleventy - 4/1/13 at 1:51pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***