Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ*** - Page 77

post #1141 of 5709

I currently have 3 different tubes, when I get my T1 I will have 4. Should be a good starting point.

Anyone knows an ebay link with a must have? Or a lot with different kinds of tubes or something? :)

post #1142 of 5709

So, we should hunt down good tubes for you? Dude, there`s already a lot of info here, for example that cheap Philips PCC189 I recommended as substitute for Mullard ECC88. If you want to go for sure thing, grab Amperex orange globe.


Edited by CoiL - 3/9/13 at 10:23am
post #1143 of 5709
Holycheese, I posted this link before which I feel is a good reference to point you the values and expectations to the old productions of tube you can or hardly find now... http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Hah, coil, I just can't help but feel Millard ecc88 and Philips pcc189 are not even directly replaceable, much less being a substitute.. This is like substituting orange juice in a cocktail with grapefruit's... Agree on the amperex orange globe though being one of the good bets..
post #1144 of 5709

Sry icecap, but the Mullard ECC88 & Philips PCC189 I have sound very very similiar, can`t do anything about it because that`s what I hear. Do you yourself have both of them to confirm your opinion?
For me it is great replacement for more expensive Mullard ECC88. I don`t urge anybody to buy that PCC189 but if I would have to choose between them, would take cheaper Philips PCC189. Btw, there are two types Philips PCC189 - one is Holland Heerlen plant (I have this one) and other is UK Blackburn plant. My Mullard ECC88 is also Holland made.


Edited by CoiL - 3/9/13 at 11:21am
post #1145 of 5709

I will look into the info :)

post #1146 of 5709
OK, I'm in a chatty mood so even though I'm still in the camp of future Aune T1 owners, I just have to interject: All this tube talk cracks me up. Most especially the "burn in" aspects. Are we just ignoring that tubes are NEVER static in sound? They are in constant flux. That is part of what I find so intriguing about tube amplification actually. Tubes have a life path all their own. Very "organic" creatures. I can see maybe wanting to hurry them out of their "toddler" stage, but I'll be in no hurry to push them to "maturity" because I know all too well from real life and guitar playing experience that the mature phase is gone in a twinkling of an eye and then it's all downhill from there. /running and ducking
post #1147 of 5709

I swear, you people are a bad influence... and an inspiration, lol

 

Just bought the tube CoiL linked to (thanks for that!) and looking at cigar boxes.

post #1148 of 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post

OK, I'm in a chatty mood so even though I'm still in the camp of future Aune T1 owners, I just have to interject: All this tube talk cracks me up. Most especially the "burn in" aspects. Are we just ignoring that tubes are NEVER static in sound? They are in constant flux. That is part of what I find so intriguing about tube amplification actually. Tubes have a life path all their own. Very "organic" creatures. I can see maybe wanting to hurry them out of their "toddler" stage, but I'll be in no hurry to push them to "maturity" because I know all too well from real life and guitar playing experience that the mature phase is gone in a twinkling of an eye and then it's all downhill from there. /running and ducking

Don't run too far! wink.gif I hear what you're saying, but wondering if hifi puts the same stress on a tube as guitar playing.  We're not driving tubes into distortion, etc., so perhaps that sweet spot last longer - especially for these pre-amp tubes.  The Philips tube I have I HAD to push it because it was practically unlistenable to me in the beginning. It sounds so sweet now I'm glad I did what I did.

post #1149 of 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

 

Hey thanks guys. I also think this is very cool setup. Feel free to do the same. Cigar boxes look very nice and smell nice too (I'm no smoker but still) wink.gif Just remember to take the dimensions into careful consideration, especially if you are planning on inserting the tubes in standing position. The foam plactic that came with T1 is perfect for lining the bottom of the box (it's thick enough so that the pins are not going through). You can also easily see the pin holes after removing the tube. Also the tape I used is not normal painter's tape but thicker and stronger freezer tape. Happy hunting guys and as long as we keep buying relatively cheap tubes it's fun and not so expensive hobby (for us T1 owners it's really hard to justify putting anything over $50 to one tube. You can get great tubes for only a fraction of that). It's really rewarding to hear the differences in sound + these vintage tubes look very nice. Looking forward of seeing more storing solutions.

All good points. Fortunately, I thought about this when choosing a box to buy. At first I was looking at a box that was just 3 inches deep. Took a tube box out and measured it and it was 3 inches, so I knew that wasn't going to work. I wound up getting the one here, 4.5 inches deep. I think it's a pretty little box!

post #1150 of 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post

Don't run too far! wink.gif  I hear what you're saying, but wondering if hifi puts the same stress on a tube as guitar playing.  We're not driving tubes into distortion, etc., so perhaps that sweet spot last longer - especially for these pre-amp tubes.  The Philips tube I have I HAD to push it because it was practically unlistenable to me in the beginning. It sounds so sweet now I'm glad I did what I did.

You're probably right Sal. My Fender Blues Junior sits in my studio never moving and rarely even getting fired up and as far as I can tell, the sound has been relatively "static" as opposed to my Bassman 100 that went through tubes several times a year while on the road. As to the pre-amp v power tube aspect, I'm not techie enough to know the difference in stresses that way. Referring back to my guitar amp experience, it was mostly power tubes I was replacing so maybe you're onto something. Now drawing on a difference reference point of my HK Citation tube gear, it was in constant need of maintenance in terms of biasing, replacement, etc. even though they sat in one place. All that had to do with multiple tubes though too so maybe having only one changes things? (Certainly there is nothing to bias!)
post #1151 of 5709

Hello All,

 
I am after a new amp at the moment.
I currently have an Audinst Hud-MX1 and have a pair of HD600's, Digitecs (Re-branded Fisher FA003) and Triplefi 10.
I am close to affording a Schiit Asgard 2 for $349AUD.
I am going to use the MX1 as the DAC into the Asgard.
 
Now that I have read this entire thread (alright, I'm up to p68) I am interested in the T1.
I like the idea of tube rolling, although with my addictive personality and limited funds, no doubt this will become an issue!
I also love bang for buck products.
 
My question is will the T1 be a clear improvement over the Audinst?
Has anyone heard both?
 
Thanks in advance for any answers.
 
TL;DR - Is the T1 clearly better than the MX1?
post #1152 of 5709

Depends on taste imo. For me, only transistor based sound has never been so natural as tube sound. Athough some would say that tube is pointless extra buffer in Aune T1 inner-chain that brings audio even further from  "pure clear" source. I personally think opposite, this tube buffer makes everything more natural and better. Because of that, for me, there would not be any comparing with MX1 - T1 is clear winner.

But with your collected budget, maybe I would look into Schiit Lyr? If you want to save money and not "climb" for much more higher end stuff, then Aune T1 should not disappoint you. It`s bang for a buck dac/amp for sure.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by debuchan View Post

I swear, you people are a bad influence... and an inspiration, lol

 

Just bought the tube CoiL linked to (thanks for that!) and looking at cigar boxes.

I hope you won`t be disappointed, especially for the money you get that tube. I decided to do some more burn-in with Mullard ECC88 and this Philips PCC189 and see if I can find noticeable differences after that. Don`t forget to post you impressions about that tube. Let it also burn-in for some time, mine got better after ~48h music playing.

 

E: If those Holland Heerlen type run out of stock, then there are also quite cheap UK Blackburn plant type available: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-PCC189-Rohre-NOS-Tube-PCC-189-by-Mullard-Blackburn-Ersatz-E88CC-6DJ8-/120944646451?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item1c28dcd933#ht_628wt_952

Although, I don`t have experience how they sound compared to Heerlen plant ones.


Edited by CoiL - 3/9/13 at 5:09pm
post #1153 of 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Sry icecap, but the Mullard ECC88 & Philips PCC189 I have sound very very similiar, can`t do anything about it because that`s what I hear. Do you yourself have both of them to confirm your opinion?
For me it is great replacement for more expensive Mullard ECC88. I don`t urge anybody to buy that PCC189 but if I would have to choose between them, would take cheaper Philips PCC189. Btw, there are two types Philips PCC189 - one is Holland Heerlen plant (I have this one) and other is UK Blackburn plant. My Mullard ECC88 is also Holland made.

 

hah.. unfortunately I don't.. I guess they sound similar because they came from Holland.. But you definitely itching me getting another Philips seeing how you comparing the PCC189 with Mullard ECC88!

 

I like Holland tubes though! had a Philips ECC88 then realised it was sold cheaper here http://www.quartzacoustic.com/?product=philips-ecc88-a-frame-pre-amp-tube than I got it for! argh! but liking this tube as time goes.. from the link given in my last post, Brent Jesse mentioned this tube is from same production factory as Bugle Boy.. this tube is giving me the sense of space more than gold lion.. a very lively tube to enjoy that opens up at the top!

post #1154 of 5709

icecap, whats the code on your Philips ECC88/6DJ8 tube?

 

btw, don`t get me wrong, I didn`t mean that PCC189 is 1:1 with Mullard ECC88 but the difference is so little that it`s hard to comment. They are very similiar sounding.

Will update my opinion about those two after having some more burn-in. Atm, I don`t prefer one sound over the other. Maybe it will change after more burning.


Edited by CoiL - 3/10/13 at 1:10am
post #1155 of 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

icecap, whats the code on your Philips ECC88/6DJ8 tube?

 

⊿0B4

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ***