Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 49

post #721 of 3810

I solved my issue with the power transformer hum by placing the PSU approximately 2' vertically up from the amp. So now I have the amp by itself on top of my CDP. smile.gif

 

 

I also opened up the amp & PSU for some internal shots:

 

Amp

 

Dynalo+ modules

 

Power-Supply Unit

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
I have mine stacked.  I get no hum at all with the TH-900s

 

No offense intended but if you don't hear hum with the amp & PSU stacked with those headphones, something seriously has to be wrong with your hearing. It was one of the loudest power-transformer hums that I've ever heard from an amp. Loud enough that it was extremely distracting for me and I had to find a way to separate the amp and PSU or I would've never been able to enjoy any music on it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
Any plans on the AD2000X?

 

No, not really sure about the AD2KX. Can't say I have too much interest in getting new headphones when I like the headphones that I already have.


Edited by Asr - 3/16/13 at 11:17pm
post #722 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

Can't say I have too much interest in getting new headphones when I like the headphones that I already have.
But, but, but..... this goes against all things headfi! Your wallet will be so bored.

:-P
post #723 of 3810
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post

 

Here's some un-edited quick and dirty porn.

 


DoCjWGG.jpg?1

Your right that sure is some nice amp pornageeek.gif Can we now have some black action plzzzzzzzzzz popcorn.gif

post #724 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

No offense intended but if you don't hear hum with the amp & PSU stacked with those headphones, something seriously has to be wrong with your hearing. It was one of the loudest power-transformer hums that I've ever heard from an amp. Loud enough that it was extremely distracting for me and I had to find a way to separate the amp and PSU or I would've never been able to enjoy any music on it.

 

 

Really??  

 

Well - I guess something is seriously wrong with my hearing along with 9 to 10 other people that was listening to this combo stacked at a small meet yesterday as well. 

 

Just because you hear it.  Don't mean it happens with every unit.    Listen to my unit stacked then comment about my hearing.  Or go get your ears checked.

 

I know what I hear.   Like I said - I get no hum at all - STACKED!!!

post #725 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Really??  

 

Well - I guess something is seriously wrong with my hearing along with 9 to 10 other people that was listening to this combo stacked at a small meet yesterday as well. 

 

Just because you hear it.  Don't mean it happens with every unit.    Listen to my unit stacked then comment about my hearing.  Or go get your ears checked.

 

I know what I hear.   Like I said - I get no hum at all - STACKED!!!

Proximity of something like the magnet field from a TV or Computer Monitor can also contribute. Not saying it is, but maybe when he moved the PSU, it was further away from other devices as well.

post #726 of 3810

What is the output power of the GS-X mk2?

For mk1 it seems 1 Watt (single ended), 2 Watts (balanced), is there any difference?

post #727 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCKed666 View Post

What is the output power of the GS-X mk2?

For mk1 it seems 1 Watt (single ended), 2 Watts (balanced), is there any difference?

 

this will depend on the load impedance.  there is a chart somewhere in this thread that compares.

 

post #362

 

and

 


Edited by justin w. - 3/17/13 at 8:23am

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #728 of 3810
What about the voltage swing on balanced output?
post #729 of 3810

SE+SE=BAL

post #730 of 3810
OK, thanks. Don't know all the technical stuff. smily_headphones1.gif
post #731 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
Really??  

 

Well - I guess something is seriously wrong with my hearing along with 9 to 10 other people that was listening to this combo stacked at a small meet yesterday as well. 

 

Just because you hear it.  Don't mean it happens with every unit.    Listen to my unit stacked then comment about my hearing.  Or go get your ears checked.

 

I know what I hear.   Like I said - I get no hum at all - STACKED!!!

 

Um, you do realize that I can turn your argument back around on you, right? Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there. It's also obvious that you took offense to my post (when that wasn't intended) by your ad hominem argument, suggesting that I get my ears checked. I would've written the same thing to anyone who claimed they didn't hear it. If a sample of 10 people didn't hear it, then I'd further state that all 10 people probably have something wrong with their hearing. Or that the meet environment was too loud to hear it. Or a combo of both.

 

The "I know what I hear" argument is inherently flawed, because human hearing is inherently biased and subjective. Hearing ability varies from person to person based on various factors (age, gender, etc), and people only know what they can hear and don't know what they can't hear (i.e., the logical flaw behind the human senses - people can only know what they perceive, not what they don't perceive). Which is why 10 people on an audio site (for example) could argue endlessly about something - none of them are hearing the exact same thing.

 

It's apparent that you missed Justin's post on the subject. The hum exists, it just depends on whether someone can hear it or not. I'm not the only person who's heard it either: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-thread/675#post_9263617


Edited by Asr - 3/17/13 at 1:37pm
post #732 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

Um, you do realize that I can turn your argument back around on you, right? Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there. It's also obvious that you took offense to my post (when that wasn't intended) by your ad hominem argument, suggesting that I get my ears checked. I would've written the same thing to anyone who claimed they didn't hear it. If a sample of 10 people didn't hear it, then I'd further state that all 10 people probably have something wrong with their hearing. Or that the meet environment was too loud to hear it. Or a combo of both.

 

The "I know what I hear" argument is inherently flawed, because human hearing is inherently biased and subjective. Hearing ability varies from person to person based on various factors (age, gender, etc), and people only know what they can hear and don't know what they can't hear (i.e., the logical flaw behind the human senses - people can only know what they perceive, not what they don't perceive). Which is why 10 people on an audio site (for example) could argue endlessly about something - none of them are hearing the exact same thing.

 

It's apparent that you missed Justin's post on the subject. The hum exists, it just depends on whether someone can hear it or not. I'm not the only person who's heard it either: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-thread/675#post_9263617

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

No offense intended but if you don't hear hum with the amp & PSU stacked with those headphones, something seriously has to be wrong with your hearing. It was one of the loudest power-transformer hums that I've ever heard from an amp. Loud enough that it was extremely distracting for me and I had to find a way to separate the amp and PSU or I would've never been able to enjoy any music on it.

 

 

Man are you serious??  You can't turn nothing around.  We're talking about a hum - nothing else.  

 

Do you see your post:  "One of the loudest transformer hums you ever heard" and "something seriously must be wrong with your hearing"

 

Now your going on about this stuff:

 

"The "I know what I hear" argument is inherently flawed, because human hearing is inherently biased and subjective. Hearing ability varies from person to person based on various factors (age, gender, etc), and people only know what they can hear and don't know what they can't hear (i.e., the logical flaw behind the human senses - people can only know what they perceive, not what they don't perceive). Which is why 10 people on an audio site (for example) could argue endlessly about something - none of them are hearing the exact same thing."

 

WTF are you even talking about.  Various factors, age, gender, perceive, don't perceive, logical flaws, human senses.  Are we in the sound science forum?   No one hear a hum - simple as that.

 

Then you said:

 

" I would've written the same thing to anyone who claimed they didn't hear it. If a sample of 10 people didn't hear it, then I'd further state that all 10 people probably have something wrong with their hearing. Or that the meet environment was too loud to hear it. Or a combo of both."

 

WTF??  So you're the one who gets to tell people something is wrong with their hearing because they didn't hear a hum?  Get outta here..  That's Crazy

 

I don't care what you or other people have heard.     I'm saying on my unit - I hear no hum.   I have my TH-900 on right now.  Music off.  L / M gain  volume turned all the way up - nothing.  With the H gain - I do get a slight hum - very slight.  But why would I have it on H gain with these headphones???

 

So Yes when listening to music on M / L gain with the TH-900s - I don't hear any hums..

 

WOW  I was just reporting I'm not getting this hum.  Now something must be seriously wrong with my hearing.  ha ha ha you guys make me laugh..

post #733 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

SE+SE=BAL

are you sure? one channel balanced is two modules bridged

post #734 of 3810

Can't we just leave things like this:  If you hear transformer hum and it bothers you, place the two parts of the GS-X side-by-side or on separate shelves.  There is 4 ft. of umbilical between them for that purpose.  If you do not hear the hum or if you do and it doesn't bother you, then arrange the GS-X however you want.

 

I personally do not hear transformer hum through my LCD 2.2's even with the gain on high and the volume on max (BTW, as a coincidence, I did just have my hearing checked on Monday as a follow up to a bout of vertigo and mine is well within normal all through the spectrum).  I have decided to keep my two boxes stacked to save audio shelf space.  BTW, if you look at the pictures of the HeadAmp table from the Austin 2013 Meet, you will see that Justin himself stacked the two chassis to save space. 

 

A good rule of thumb: if you will be using efficient (low impedance) headphones or IEMs with the GS-X you may be bothered by the hum and want to separate the chassis.  If you are using only high impedance dynamics or planars, you may not even hear the hum and should be fine with stacking.

post #735 of 3810

When I get my GS-Xmk2, I'm placing both units on the bottom shelf of my audio rack. If I hear any kind of hum, I'll have a small rack made to separate them like I have for the Aristaeus.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread