Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 33

post #481 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

For the record, I have never heard a B22 from SolderworksAudio. smile.gif

 

 

Pretty knowledgeable guy that SWAbiggrin.gif

post #482 of 3219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Pretty knowledgeable guy that SWAbiggrin.gif

He is. smile.gif

post #483 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

I do hear some hum with my GS-X on medium gain, so it could be the gain of 3? Before I bought my GS-X, I had Justin's second last GS-1 and with unity gain for low, it too was dead silent with IEMs.

 

No problemo. 

 

are you stacking the amp on top of the PSU?  that could be responsible 

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #484 of 3219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

are you stacking the amp on top of the PSU?  that could be responsible 

 

Justin: Just to clarify, the hum is only with my most sensitive IEMs with the gain setting to medium. On low (unity) gain there is none...total blackness. With any of my headphones (past and present), there is zero noise floor...the amp is dead silent even on high gain. Definitely the best amp I've ever owned in this regard. 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 2/15/13 at 8:13pm
post #485 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

are you stacking the amp on top of the PSU?  that could be responsible 


I was assuming there would be no hum at any gain / volume setting.  Am I wrong here?

post #486 of 3219

Amplifiers amplify.  If there is noise on the input... noise on the output ;)

post #487 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

are you stacking the amp on top of the PSU?  that could be responsible 


Is this really a big no-no?  I was planning to stack them to save space on my rack.  I figured that the two pieces of sheet metal between the transformers and amp should block out any transformer hum. 

 

I listen primarily to LCD 2.2's BTW so I may not hear the hum might not come across like it would in high efficiency cans.

post #488 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by safeandsound1 View Post


Is this really a big no-no?  I was planning to stack them to save space on my rack.  I figured that the two pieces of sheet metal between the transformers and amp should block out any transformer hum. 

 

I listen primarily to LCD 2.2's BTW so I may not hear the hum might not come across like it would in high efficiency cans.

 

its not a big deal.  it can be seen on the measurements, but unless you're plugging in sensitive IEMs and turning up the gain you wouldnt hear anything.  and that's only if you're stacking them without any separation.


Edited by justin w. - 2/16/13 at 4:47pm

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #489 of 3219

If youre listening to this amp via IEMs, and need to use anything above 0 gain, then the hum you are hearing is coming from your damaged ear drums, not the amplifier.  Seriously, do you guys have ANY idea how loud a gain of 3 into IEMs would be, even from a relatively low-voltage source!?!?

post #490 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

If youre listening to this amp via IEMs, and need to use anything above 0 gain, then the hum you are hearing is coming from your damaged ear drums, not the amplifier.  Seriously, do you guys have ANY idea how loud a gain of 3 into IEMs would be, even from a relatively low-voltage source!?!?

 

Very aware. The vast majority of tracks I have would cause at least a temporary threshold shift if not run the risk of real damage to hearing.  But I have some tracks that were mastered badly and are amazingly quiet.  I actually have to turn the volume up enough on my GS-1 to the point I can hear some noise in the passages where there is a pause in the music.  One of these days I will get around to tracking down the original recording files and remaster, but it's not something I listen to a lot so I haven't do this.  For all practice purposes though, it's unlikely that the volume will be turned up high enough to hear the noise.

 

--Mark

post #491 of 3219

So how we doing?  Getting close to shipping?

post #492 of 3219

Bout that time.  Amps burning in yet?

post #493 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by verber View Post

 

" . . . .  to the point I can hear some noise in the passages where there is a pause in the music. "   angry_face.gif

 

I don't get anything like that on my current amp with the attenuator maxed out.  It is dead silent. 

post #494 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post

 

I don't get anything like that on my current amp with the attenuator maxed out.  It is dead silent. 

 

I don't know what amp you have, but..the GS-X is lower noise.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #495 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Bout that time.  Amps burning in yet?

 

burning in (testing) has started tonight

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread