Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 205

post #3061 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post

nickif - to me your statement is arrogant and offensive. You are proposing that we part with substantial amounts of hard earned cash based on belief that denies everything we have learned at school and uni. And everyone who is not a "believer" is automatically arrogant or lazy. 

Some of us prefer to allocate our cash in something that we understand rather than believe. Please respect this choice.

And this believing would be helped if some of the magic cable vendors offered money-back return policy. So far I haven't found any that would.

Thecableco.com carries many different cables and you can "borrow" from their lending library to test. Not sure if overseas can.
post #3062 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post

nickif - to me your statement is arrogant and offensive. You are proposing that we part with substantial amounts of hard earned cash based on belief that denies everything we have learned at school and uni. And everyone who is not a "believer" is automatically arrogant or lazy. 

Some of us prefer to allocate our cash in something that we understand rather than believe. Please respect this choice.

And this believing would be helped if some of the magic cable vendors offered money-back return policy. So far I haven't found any that would.


No, to the opposite, I'm saying you have the absolute right to decide where to spend your money on; likewise you have the absolute right to choose not to believe. That's all subjective after all.

However, when it comes to objective debate on whether cable makes a difference, you'd better have tried something nice in your own system rather than quote some theories from the uni, and I don't think this topic is covered in any of the textbook
post #3063 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickif View Post

and I don't think this topic is covered in any of the textbook

 

It is.  It's also covered in research papers, trials at trade shows, manufacturer testing...  Nelson Pass has a great write up on it for instance.

 

I spent a better part of a decade rolling cables, power included, some costing upwards of $1000.  I now use BlueJean interconnects and Volex power cords, sometimes Quail, because in my experience, build quality and design are all that matters and both can be had for very little investment.

 

Or to put it the way the research puts it... cables that sound different are cables that are poor either by design, looking at you gold and aluminum, or build quality.

 

In the case of transmitting 50/60Hz AC, at generally low levels for headphone use, from the wall to the equipment, is a very easy task.  Budet accordingly.

post #3064 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickif View Post

[quote name="bfreedma" url="/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-and

IMO, this is like telling someone to jump off a tall building to see if gravity exists - you'll never know until you've tried it yourself.....

Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the Cables section.

First of all, the effect of cabling is still in dispute; secondly, trying a powercord in your own system will never have yourself killed... People has the right to choose not to believe, but those who make a firm conclusion based on theory without even bothered to try are either arrogant or lazy.

Agreed we should discuss this somewhere else.[/quote]

Sorry, but the only people who still believe that the effects of power cables is in dispute are those that choose to ignore known science. If you buy the cable because you want to, go for it, but don't expect others to blindly follow.

Subjective claims with absolutely no evidence aren't going to compel me to change my view any more than your claiming you can fly without presenting evidence would change my view of gravity.

The rest of your post is simply absurd. Calling someone arrogant or lazy for understanding the scientific principles involved isn't helping your argument. Got any actual evidence to present to support your case?
post #3065 of 5304

My personal favourite subjective test performed on the masses was the one by McIntosh.  Worth a Google if you don't already know about it.  In other news, the actual amp is wired with these things called traces and solder.  The horror :P

post #3066 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

My personal favourite subjective test performed on the masses was the one by McIntosh.  Worth a Google if you don't already know about it.  In other news, the actual amp is wired with these things called traces and solder.  The horror :P

 

Hadn't seen that one and just read it.  I feel like I need a shower after that.

 

In addition to the amp's traces and solder, don't forget about house wiring and transmission lines back to the power plant.....

post #3067 of 5304
I couldn't agree more with you Solude. And Bfreedma. But I was trying to avoid warfare on the GS-X thread. The discussion did illuminate how wide the gulf is between the two sides, so I just gave up earlier.
post #3068 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post
 

 

Hadn't seen that one and just read it.  I feel like I need a shower after that.

 

In addition to the amp's traces and solder, don't forget about house wiring and transmission lines back to the power plant.....

Would you mind to share your key words how you found it ?

Nothing came up when I searched for McIntosh, amp, consumer, test. THX

post #3069 of 5304
post #3070 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post
 

 

nickif - to me your statement is arrogant and offensive. You are proposing that we part with substantial amounts of hard earned cash based on belief that denies everything we have learned at school and uni. And everyone who is not a "believer" is automatically arrogant or lazy. 

 

Some of us prefer to allocate our cash in something that we understand rather than believe. Please respect this choice.

 

And this believing would be helped if some of the magic cable vendors offered money-back return policy. So far I haven't found any that would.

I agree and believe in hard evidence.

 

I love when cable talk happens - it always makes for great reading! ;) 


Edited by magiccabbage - 6/19/14 at 8:40am
post #3071 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
 

Would you mind to share your key words how you found it ?

Nothing came up when I searched for McIntosh, amp, consumer, test. THX

 

I found it using "McIntosh amplifier clinics"

 

Not sure if that's what Solude was referring to, but if not, perhaps he can post the link.

post #3072 of 5304
Quote:

LOL , thanks ! Got a good laugh :D

post #3073 of 5304
The day I herd this amp way back at a NY meet,
I knew in my gut that this was the absolute best amp I ever herd(!)
.. and that was under the worst conditions with source I did not recognize,
BUT, I herd it thru my own headphones..

At the time I had a w3000anv and I have to admit it transformed it from great into just astonishing performance.

I then proceeded to try this amp with the LCD X and same result, it made it top notch.
I think this with a Nad51 dac would be "end game" tongue.gif

One day I will get this amp..
smily_headphones1.gif
post #3074 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

The day I herd this amp way back at a NY meet,
I knew in my gut that this was the absolute best amp I ever herd(!)
.. and that was under the worst conditions with source I did not recognize,
BUT, I herd it thru my own headphones..

At the time I had a w3000anv and I have to admit it transformed it from great into just astonishing performance.

I then proceeded to try this amp with the LCD X and same result, it made it top notch.
I think this with a Nad51 dac would be "end game" tongue.gif

One day I will get this amp..
smily_headphones1.gif

I need to try the Nad again - I didn't like it the first time i tried 

post #3075 of 5304
I'm waiting for the yggy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread