Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 203

post #3031 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickif View Post


In the world of hiend, assumptions never work, listening is the only way to tell the difference. Any powercord above 50 should be properly made up to the standard so what's the point of a 500 one? How about a 5000 one?

I agree completely with the above post -- if the power supply of a particular component has been designed and constructed properly (as certainly it would be in the GS-X MkII), the difference between a well made powercord at almost any price point (really cheap ones excluded) should be nearly inaudible, unless your brain tells you to find a difference.  This is not necessarily the case for headphone cables and interconnects (and maybe digital cables), since here you are connecting and transmitting signals between 2 components of a closed system which can interact with each other.  This is unlike the situation with electric power, where most people have little or no control over how it is produced and transmitted, and is why top tier amp builders go to so much effort to design the best possible power supply for their unit.   For anyone who remains unconvinced that external power supplies of any type can be good, then you can always go to battery power (e.g. Bakoon), but I'm sure there are people who can find problems with this approach as well.   

post #3032 of 3967

There is a lot of good information about power supplies, cables, and such at Shunyata.  As I said earlier, I'm getting good results with the Alpha Digital and Alpha Analog power cords. 

 

APC makes low cost battery backup power supplies that do a good job of reducing noise.  While it's not on the same level as a PS like Hydra Triton, it makes an audible difference at 1/10 the price.


Edited by Rico613 - 6/17/14 at 8:00am
post #3033 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post

There is a lot of good information about power supplies, cables, and such at Shunyata.  As I said earlier, I'm getting good results with the Alpha Digital and Alpha Analog power cords. 

APC makes low cost battery backup power supplies that do a good job of reducing noise.  While it's not on the same level as a PS like Hydra Triton, it makes an audible difference at 1/10 the price.

I am a little mixed up. What APC unit are you talking about? Most of the APC units I know have a small battery that only turn on when no power is received. Not surge how that would improve sound over good surge protector. Is there a model that allows you to run of battery then entire time and charge battery separately or provides big enough battery for long listen off power?
post #3034 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post
 

I agree completely with the above post -- if the power supply of a particular component has been designed and constructed properly (as certainly it would be in the GS-X MkII), the difference between a well made powercord at almost any price point (really cheap ones excluded) should be nearly inaudible, unless your brain tells you to find a difference.  This is not necessarily the case for headphone cables and interconnects ...

I agree 100%, bro. Here is some useful information on the basic EE principles of AC/DC power in audio systems from someone who does not (but could) sell power cords. Alas, I fear my comments on blind testing with the GS-X threaten to push this thread off topic.

post #3035 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post
 

A/B Testing
When I upgrade some part of my system the improved SQ is pretty obvious.  I listen to each component maybe twice before making a decision, and I sometimes never go back to the lesser component - if the difference is that clear.  One way of doing this is to listen to component "A" and then wait an hour or two to listen to component "B".  If the difference is clear after a couple hours, you know you've found a good solution.

 

This is the single worst piece of advice I've heard about A/B testing. May god have mercy on your wallet.

post #3036 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post

I agree completely with the above post -- if the power supply of a particular component has been designed and constructed properly (as certainly it would be in the GS-X MkII), the difference between a well made powercord at almost any price point (really cheap ones excluded) should be nearly inaudible, unless your brain tells you to find a difference.  This is not necessarily the case for headphone cables and interconnects (and maybe digital cables), since here you are connecting and transmitting signals between 2 components of a closed system which can interact with each other.  This is unlike the situation with electric power, where most people have little or no control over how it is produced and transmitted, and is why top tier amp builders go to so much effort to design the best possible power supply for their unit.   For anyone who remains unconvinced that external power supplies of any type can be good, then you can always go to battery power (e.g. Bakoon), but I'm sure there are people who can find problems with this approach as well.   


Oops, maybe I didn't make myself quite clear, actually I meant cables do make differences, sometimes not trivial ones. The better the system the bigger the impacts. It's easy to demonstrate, grab some cables from cableco on loan and hear it yourself.
post #3037 of 3967

Anyone here have a matching red DAC to go with their red GS-X?

post #3038 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Anyone here have a matching red DAC to go with their red GS-X?

 

 

I have never seen a red DAC.

 

I found one though: http://blacklionaudio.com/product/sparrow-dac/ :normal_smile :

post #3039 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem View Post

I am a little mixed up. What APC unit are you talking about? Most of the APC units I know have a small battery that only turn on when no power is received. Not surge how that would improve sound over good surge protector. Is there a model that allows you to run of battery then entire time and charge battery separately or provides big enough battery for long listen off power?

 

I don't know if or how the battery backup contributes to imporved SQ, maybe it is just the filtering in the units.  I am using a APC BR700G, which is a computer backup.  It sells for around $120.  I am also using a $450 APC H10 BLK power conditioner (without battery backup) on my home theater system.  I haven't thoroughly tested it, but I "think" using the battery outputs on the BR700G sound better.  I figured the APC J10 (power conditioner with battery backup) may be the way to go.  I was just suggesting an alternative for audiophiles who don't want to cough up the dough for a superlative power supply like the Shynyata Hydra Triton/Typhon.

post #3040 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post
 

 

I don't know if or how the battery backup contributes to imporved SQ, maybe it is just the filtering in the units.  I am using a APC BR700G, which is a computer backup.  It sells for around $120.  I am also using a $450 APC H10 BLK power conditioner (without battery backup) on my home theater system.  I haven't thoroughly tested it, but I "think" using the battery outputs on the BR700G sound better.  I figured the APC J10 (power conditioner with battery backup) may be the way to go.  I was just suggesting an alternative for audiophiles who don't want to cough up the dough for a superlative power supply like the Shynyata Hydra Triton/Typhon.

 

I think any positive effects you are seeing from the APC have to do with the power conditioning part.  The battery portion only comes into play when no power is received as opposed to the bakoon which I think essentially has two batteries, in which, you are using one battery while the other is being charged so you are on DC power.

post #3041 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickif View Post


Oops, maybe I didn't make myself quite clear, actually I meant cables do make differences, sometimes not trivial ones. The better the system the bigger the impacts. It's easy to demonstrate, grab some cables from cableco on loan and hear it yourself.

My apology for misinterpreting your comments (although I think you could read it both ways).   Nevertheless, I still feel that power cables if they are reasonably well made to begin with should have little impact on overall SQ.  There are certainly other factors -- voltage fluctuations, DC offset (dirty current), etc -  that I will concede could affect performance, but ordinarily these would be obvious to almost everyone and would not be changed by switching to more expensive power cords, "high-end" wall outlets, etc.  Perhaps a dedicated power circuit "could" help when using very high power speaker amps but not likely a headphone amp.  

 

You could argue that this may not be the right forum to discuss power cables per se but since it is about the GS-X MkII and since most people will want to use the best possible equipment with this amp, this topic is certainly worth discussing.   It might also be interesting to hear what Justin's opinion is -- he designed the power supply for the amp and may wish to chime in on this.   I have previously owned both a GS-X MkI (and GS 1) -- both great amps  (I just put in an order for a MkII) - and my limited experience with several power cords  (stock and "hi end") on both amps leads me to believe that they don't make much of a difference at all.  I'm willing to be proven wrong but I just don't think the evidence is quite in yet.  

post #3042 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post
 

My apology for misinterpreting your comments (although I think you could read it both ways).   Nevertheless, I still feel that power cables if they are reasonably well made to begin with should have little impact on overall SQ.  There are certainly other factors -- voltage fluctuations, DC offset (dirty current), etc -  that I will concede could affect performance, but ordinarily these would be obvious to almost everyone and would not be changed by switching to more expensive power cords, "high-end" wall outlets, etc.  Perhaps a dedicated power circuit "could" help when using very high power speaker amps but not likely a headphone amp.  

 

You could argue that this may not be the right forum to discuss power cables per se but since it is about the GS-X MkII and since most people will want to use the best possible equipment with this amp, this topic is certainly worth discussing.   It might also be interesting to hear what Justin's opinion is -- he designed the power supply for the amp and may wish to chime in on this.   I have previously owned both a GS-X MkI (and GS 1) -- both great amps  (I just put in an order for a MkII) - and my limited experience with several power cords  (stock and "hi end") on both amps leads me to believe that they don't make much of a difference at all.  I'm willing to be proven wrong but I just don't think the evidence is quite in yet.  

+1 I agree.  Although I do use after market power cables - just for the heck of it.  Never noticed a difference from the stock cable..

post #3043 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem View Post
 

I think any positive effects you are seeing from the APC have to do with the power conditioning part.  The battery portion only comes into play when no power is received as opposed to the bakoon which I think essentially has two batteries, in which, you are using one battery while the other is being charged so you are on DC power.

That makes sense especially since I haven't tested it completely.  :biggrin: 
 
 

post #3044 of 3967
Given the amount of labor, attention to detail, and difficult to find parts that Justin invests/installs in the GSX, it seems highly unlikely that he would ship it with an inadequate/defective power cord or not have a specific recommendation.

Edit: just to be clarify, the only spec that concerns me other than AWG is length. As long as the cable reaches from the amp to the wall....
Edited by bfreedma - 6/17/14 at 2:40pm
post #3045 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Given the amount of labor, attention to detail, and difficult to find parts that Justin invests/installs in the GSX, it seems highly unlikely that he would ship it with an inadequate/defective power cord or not have a specific recommendation.

Edit: just to be clarify, the only spec that concerns me other than AWG is length. As long as the cable reaches from the amp to the wall....
FYI the amp does not come with a power cord. Only an umbilical.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread