Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 3967

There is no knob on the shaft, so i have no idea what the position is.

This is all relative to the gain of the source anyway and the position

of the gain switch.

 

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/gsx-1.jpg

 

Spent a couple of hours listening to LCD2R2 and this is one

fantastic amplifier. No compression or clipping of any kind even

at bleeding ear levels.

 

Frequency response well into 200khz, noise level absolutely

silent (well i have not tried efficient iems yet)

 

Distortion and slew rate exceptional.

 

I don't think justin is getting this thing back. At least not any time soon.

 

I'm not sure the bench power supply i'm using is big enough.


Edited by kevin gilmore - 10/27/12 at 12:13pm
post #32 of 3967
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

There is no knob on the shaft, so i have no idea what the position is.

This is all relative to the gain of the source anyway and the position

of the gain switch.

 

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/gsx-1.jpg

 

Spent a couple of hours listening to LCD2R2 and this is one

fantastic amplifier. No compression or clipping of any kind even

at bleeding ear levels.

 

Frequency response well into 200khz, noise level absolutely

silent (well i have not tried efficient iems yet)

 

Distortion and slew rate exceptional.

 

I don't think justin is getting this thing back. At least not any time soon.

 

I'm not sure the bench power supply i'm using is big enough.

 

thumbsup_000.jpg

post #33 of 3967

  1000

post #34 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore 

 

 

Hey Kevin,

 

You want to sell one of those Single Powers you have?

post #35 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Hey Kevin,

 

You want to sell one of those Single Powers you have?

Absolutely NOT.

 

But lets be serious, on my ES1, i put in $2k in parts and

about 55 hours of labor. Who in their right mind would pay me $7k for this.

But it does sound stunning, and has been absolutely consistent in sound

since i finished it.

 

But the ES2, i have over 30 hours into it already, and i still have to re-machine

the front panel. It will end up $3k in parts and well over 100 hours of labor.

This is the new amplifier panel. Finally ready to start the rewiring.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/myes2-13.jpg


Edited by kevin gilmore - 10/27/12 at 12:30pm
post #36 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

Absolutely NOT.

 

But lets be serious, on my ES1, i put in $2k in parts and

about 55 hours of labor. Who in their right mind would pay me $7k for this.

But it does sound stunning, and has been absolutely consistent in sound

since i finished it.

 

But the ES2, i have over 30 hours into it already, and i still have to re-machine

the front panel. It will end up $3k in parts and well over 100 hours of labor.

This is the new amplifier panel. Finally ready to start the rewiring.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/myes2-13.jpg

 

 

It was a rhetorical question - I already knew the answer.  Happy Camper has one as well.  He will not let that thing go.

post #37 of 3967

Little birdie told me the new shipping power supply is going to be dual 35VA which is quite the jump from the original dual 15VA :D  Yay!

post #38 of 3967

Justin, any assembled power supplies to show off?  Also for the Alpha pots, any testing being done to ensure they track reasonably?

post #39 of 3967

Is the first batch sold out Justin?

post #40 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Justin, any assembled power supplies to show off?  Also for the Alpha pots, any testing being done to ensure they track reasonably?

 

i'll post pics of the power supplies tomorrow.  yes, I do check the pots.  they're all good so far.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #41 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunge View Post

Is the first batch sold out Justin?

 

there's about 5 left

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #42 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 I do check the pots.  they're all good so far.

 

I guess the question now is what range falls into 'good'?  +-1dB, 3dB, .5dB?

 

And since that's unexpected good news... what's the cut-off for changing pot choice?  Also will emails be going out for colour choices when the panels comes back from the machine shop?  What's the process here on in?

post #43 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

I guess the question now is what range falls into 'good'?  +-1dB, 3dB, .5dB?

 

And since that's unexpected good news... what's the cut-off for changing pot choice?  Also will emails be going out for colour choices when the panels comes back from the machine shop?  What's the process here on in?

 

i typically reject anything worse than ~1dB from a range of -60dB to 0.  it's never a problem at anything but the quietest levels.

 

I will be sending out an email about the pot choice in the next week.  I will ask about the panel color in the same email

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #44 of 3967

Thanks brother, not my first trip down HeadAmp lane but my first 'built to order' tour of duty ;)

post #45 of 3967

Mind if I ask what are the pot choices and panel choices?  I guess I should wait for teh e-mails.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread