or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 5267
Although IMO the GS-Xmk2 is a beautiful looking amp, I would prefer that the dual 3 pin sockets weren't there. So because I don't often use those two sockets, I'm going to figure out a way to cover them over, yet still retain the beauty of that amp.
What I plan on doing will be removable, so when needed I'll still be able to use those sockets.
post #2447 of 5267

I am not sure but this might fit the bill ... eh the socket ;-)).

I guess I'll get one (to cover the 4 pin socket).

 

dummy plug for female receptacles

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors-accessories/ndf


Edited by icebear - 3/24/14 at 6:41am
post #2448 of 5267
Thank you icebear, but I've figured out a way to do it which should look very nice. It will involve the engineer that did the brackets for the headband that's on my LCD-XC, but he's very good so as I say it should look very nice.
It might involve using carbon fibre.
post #2449 of 5267
Cadras makes very nice but very expensive XLR socket caps.
post #2450 of 5267

This looks like some odd pricing:

 

Sold in set of twelve (12) for 59.49 --> $4.95 each

http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Cardas+Signature+Protective+RCA+C+SS+Caps/243/

 

And these as a set of two for 32.50 --> $16.25

http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Cardas+Signature+MALE+XLR+C+SS+Caps/288/

 

Both seem made of brass and nickel, just the logo application seems to be different : It is printed vs stamped.

Am I missing something?

post #2451 of 5267
Because the dual 3 pin sockets are slightly higher than the 4 pin socket, the thing I'm going to have made will cover those two sockets completely, and it will be a rectangular shape.

But thank you for taking the time to show the ones you have.
post #2452 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post

The only reason the dual 3 pin XLR came into being is because the first "balanced" amp Tyll did for HeadRoom used separate left and right chassis (though they shared a common front and rear panel). That precluded using a single plug solution.

se

 

That's interesting information, I always wondered about that one. Thanks!

post #2453 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Although IMO the GS-Xmk2 is a beautiful looking amp, I would prefer that the dual 3 pin sockets weren't there. So because I don't often use those two sockets, I'm going to figure out a way to cover them over, yet still retain the beauty of that amp.
What I plan on doing will be removable, so when needed I'll still be able to use those sockets.

Isn't the GS-X MK II a single 4 PIN and 2 SE connectors?

post #2454 of 5267
The SE connectors are actually combo jacks containing both stereo 1/4 TRS and either the left or right 3 pin XLR.
post #2455 of 5267
Because the two headphones I use with my GS-Xmk2 have 4 pin connectors, I won't be using the 3 pin sockets which as said can be used with normal headphone jacks, that often.
But like I said, what I'm going to have made will be removable, so if I decide to use say my UM Miracles, I can do that.
Because I enjoy posting photo's, I'll do that when what I'm planning to have made is done.
post #2456 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Because the dual 3 pin sockets are slightly higher than the 4 pin socket, the thing I'm going to have made will cover those two sockets completely, and it will be a rectangular shape.

But thank you for taking the time to show the ones you have.


Slight misunderstanding:

Currently I am waiting for the 2013 batch to be completed and then the 2014 batch being started, that's the one I am in for one GS-X MkII.

Just three month after down payment ... long way to go ;-)).

 

I don't have the pleasure listening to one yet and I also don't have any plugs to cover the unused XLR sockets.

I was just throwing the Neutrik info out there because I saw these a couple of days ago and I had never seen something like that before.

But you're welcome and yes, do show some pics when you have your custom cover finished.

post #2457 of 5267
I'm pleased to know you have the GS-Xmk2 on order icebear, yes it'll probably be a long wait, but when you have it, I think you'll enjoy it immensely.
post #2458 of 5267

Do you think there will be any difference in delivery time between placing order this week or in one month (I could manage to pay that deposit this month, but If it is not necessary I wouldn't want to stretch my monthly budget)? I don't mind waiting a year and half for it, three years would be kind of rough though :) It may take 3-4 months till I fully save up for it, so paying 1/4 deposit in front and assuring some nice spot in queue is very nice touch. I am not sure when exactly the rest of the money should be paid to Justin, but I guess it will be right before or even after actual manufacturing process of ones unit.

 

By the way - how hot does GS-X get during listening? Is it safe to store headphones (woodies) on top of it?

post #2459 of 5267
For my GS-Xmk2 I waited just over 6 months, but when I placed the order it was actually for the mk1. After bout 3 months Justin told me he was starting with the mk2 and asked me if I wanted that model, I obviously said yes.
Edited by David1961 - 3/24/14 at 3:05pm
post #2460 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by filuS View Post
 

Do you think there will be any difference in delivery time between placing order this week or in one month (I could manage to pay that deposit this month, but If it is not necessary I wouldn't want to stretch my monthly budget)? I don't mind waiting a year and half for it, three years would be kind of rough though :) It may take 3-4 months till I fully save up for it, so paying 1/4 deposit in front and assuring some nice spot in queue is very nice touch. I am not sure when exactly the rest of the money should be paid to Justin, but I guess it will be right before or even after actual manufacturing process of ones unit.

 

By the way - how hot does GS-X get during listening? Is it safe to store headphones (woodies) on top of it?


Hi filuS,

 

you should contact Justin directly by e-mail on specifics.

As far as I know, his production process is an entire batch at a time, i.e. the same stage of the process will be completed for all amps of that batch. He is not working on one from start to finish, sell it and then takes on the next. All of one batch will be ready after completion and testing, testing, testing and then all will be shipped.

 

Between the deposit and actual delivery can be ...  an unspecific time (the stated "12 weeks" are a bold underestimation). You just have to make do with that. If you are the last one to join a batch your wait time will be shorter than someone's who just missed the tail end of a batch and has to wait for the next. Obviously Justin gains some experience with his supply and outsourcing, so things might go a little faster - at least I hope so ;):D.

 

I am not sure how long it will take between the final payment and delivery once Justin contacts you with the specifics on your individual amp but then your are already close to the finish line.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread