Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 148

post #2206 of 3269

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased the gs-x mkii and am searching for a DAC to pair with it (2000-5000usd)

I would like to have something that is absolutely the best or something with high price performance ratio in the lower range of the price.

The headphones I would be driving are LCD-3, HD800, HD600 and probably the LCD-X and HE-6.

Thanks!

post #2207 of 3269

I was exactly in that scenario few weeks ago and I was down to 2 DACs, the NAD M51 and the Hegel HD25.

After reading loads of website, reviews, I still was hesitating, then I directly called an hi-fi store in Belgium and they told me that the Hegel HD25 was far more enjoyable than the M51, better extension on both ends, better details with a little of warmth in his sound signature.

They are both around 2000 - 2500usd.

post #2208 of 3269

for 1595, i bought the mytek 192 and couldn't be happier. and the GSX MK2/Mytek 192 work great with all my headphones.

post #2209 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post

I was exactly in that scenario few weeks ago and I was down to 2 DACs, the NAD M51 and the Hegel HD25.
After reading loads of website, reviews, I still was hesitating, then I directly called an hi-fi store in Belgium and they told me that the Hegel HD25 was far more enjoyable than the M51, better extension on both ends, better details with a little of warmth in his sound signature.
They are both around 2000 - 2500usd.

Ouch... I would never pay 2000-2500 for a M51.

To answer the question, depends on what you value. Personally I don't think you can do better than an AGD M7 or PS PWD MK II with a budget close to 2-3K. If you are willing to spend more, there are better choices.
post #2210 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


Ouch... I would never pay 2000-2500 for a M51.

To answer the question, depends on what you value. Personally I don't think you can do better than an AGD M7 or PS PWD MK II with a budget close to 2-3K. If you are willing to spend more, there are better choices.

 

It can be found at 1800usd as far as I can see, which is around 2000.

The HD25 is around 2500.

post #2211 of 3269

The usual suspects... PWD2, BDA-2, M7, Hex, Vega

post #2212 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozveradu View Post
 

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased the gs-x mkii and am searching for a DAC to pair with it (2000-5000usd)

I would like to have something that is absolutely the best or something with high price performance ratio in the lower range of the price.

The headphones I would be driving are LCD-3, HD800, HD600 and probably the LCD-X and HE-6.

Thanks! 

 

For very close to the $5k mark the AMR DP-777 is the best DAC I've heard thus far.  Except an Audio Note DAC that cost way to much.

post #2213 of 3269

If you are willing to spend $5K on a DAC, you owe it to yourself to consider the Berkeley Alpha DAC.

post #2214 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


Ouch... I would never pay 2000-2500 for a M51.

To answer the question, depends on what you value. Personally I don't think you can do better than an AGD M7 or PS PWD MK II with a budget close to 2-3K. If you are willing to spend more, there are better choices.

The Benchmark DAC2 HGC sounds pretty good with my new to me GS-X mk2 (thanks Greed!); great form factor for a desktop system too.  $2K for this version of the DAC2 and a 30 day return policy for a no risk home trial. If you don't need analog inputs, the DAC2 D is about $200 cheaper.

 

I agree that the PWD MK II is nice if used only as a DAC and you can always find them used on Audiogon or plenty of B stock on their website; PS Audio has a 30 day return policy too.  Just don't buy it with the Bridge expecting to stream gapless via ethernet -- the Bridge doesn't do gapless, never has and never will, at least via hardware alone. I got fed up with this years ago and sold my PWD, so I've stopped following the subject, but I think you can now use their proprietary eLyric software to get gapless via the Bridge if you want to go that route, check out the PS Audio forums for more info.  

post #2215 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
 

The Benchmark DAC2 HGC sounds pretty good with my new to me GS-X mk2 (thanks Greed!); great form factor for a desktop system too.  $2K for this version of the DAC2 and a 30 day return policy for a no risk home trial. If you don't need analog inputs, the DAC2 D is about $200 cheaper.

 

I agree that the PWD MK II is nice if used only as a DAC and you can always find them used on Audiogon or plenty of B stock on their website; PS Audio has a 30 day return policy too.  Just don't buy it with the Bridge expecting to stream gapless via ethernet -- the Bridge doesn't do gapless, never has and never will, at least via hardware alone. I got fed up with this years ago and sold my PWD, so I've stopped following the subject, but I think you can now use their proprietary eLyric software to get gapless via the Bridge if you want to go that route, check out the PS Audio forums for more info.  

 

The Benchmark is nice because of all the features you get but I can't speak on the sonics as I haven't heard the DAC2 only the DAC1. The PWD MK II is the the best I've heard in that price range. Also, you are welcome!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
 

 

It can be found at 1800usd as far as I can see, which is around 2000.

The HD25 is around 2500.

 

They readily go used for 1200-1500. That is about the most I would pay. Anymore, I would increase my budget and go for something in the 2-3K range. 

 

 

 

To follow up: In the higher end of your price range I would look at:

 

Phasure, Invicta, Used Cantata or a Weiss - The AMR of course is a great DAC if you can find it for a good price and should be considered. All of these should be demoed of course if possible.  


Edited by Greed - 12/21/13 at 9:00am
post #2216 of 3269
In the upper range a Lampi should also be thrown to that list. It kicks the snot out of my PWD MKII, which is itself a very fine piece of equipment.
post #2217 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffA View Post
 

If you are willing to spend $5K on a DAC, you owe it to yourself to consider the Berkeley Alpha DAC.

 

Not from what I'm hearing.  I think I got the best one of the two that fits what I like the most.  Female vocals..


Edited by preproman - 12/22/13 at 3:32pm
post #2218 of 3269

I have owned two world class sources which cost in the $10,000 range each and I sold them for a $1250 DAC from Ultra-Fi called the Dac-41.  It is one tenth the weight and size of the others and is dead neutral and more musical than anything I ever heard.


Edited by rsbrsvp - 12/23/13 at 8:29am
post #2219 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrsvp View Post

I have owned two world class sources which cost in the $10,000 range each and I sold them for a $1250 DAC from Ultra-Fi called the Dac-41.  It is one tenth the weight and size of the others and is dead neutral and more musical than anything I ever heard.


 



Which ones?
post #2220 of 3269

Think he owned a Skylla.  With upgraded fuses.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread