Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 147

post #2191 of 3810

Not even going to bother with explanatory PMs... just, well, happy holidays to everyone.  :smile:

 

post #2192 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
 

So for one who HAS NOT HAD THE PLEASURE OF AUDITION WITH GS-X Mk II, can you provide a brief comparo between the two amps?

 

I have had a few Dynalo based HeadAmp offerings and the mk2 is a good improvement over the original build.  I've also has the Mjolnir two times now on a few different sources.

 

Long story short if you consider the GS-X mk2 neutral then the Mjolnir is tonally shifted up into the treble with a more aggressive presentation.  Going the other way the GS-X mk2 would be tonally shifted down into the bass where it has endless reserves for deep bass.  The presentation is more natural, completely effortless.

 

They ride either side of the fence so a lot will come down to source and can.  The the LCD-3 the Gungnir/GS-X combo was too dark, PWD2/Mjolnir too bright.

 

For the asking price the Mjolnir is a no brainer when well paired.  The GS-X mk2 is the better amp for me and the added feature set make it worth the price gap for me. 

post #2193 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgep View Post

Quote:


Odd. In Canada (or at least Ontario), your home insurance doesn't stop providing coverage once you take something out of your house and bring it somewhere else. So in England if someone stole your watch while you were out shopping you would be out of luck?

I don't know for sure if I could claim on anything that's part of my home insurance, if I was to take it out my home then it be damaged. But assuming I could , and I took either my GS-Xmk2 or BHSE to a head-fi meeting and they got damaged. Knowing I could claim is all well and good, but there's no way I'd want to be without them for a day, let alone how long it might take for either to be repaired.
post #2194 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post


I don't know for sure if I could claim on anything that's part of my home insurance, if I was to take it out my home then it be damaged. But assuming I could , and I took either my GS-Xmk2 or BHSE to a head-fi meeting and they got damaged. Knowing I could claim is all well and good, but there's no way I'd want to be without them for a day, let alone how long it might take for either to be repaired.

 

Sure, those are certainly other considerations that are important.

post #2195 of 3810

GS-X MK2 is on the way. This discussion of Audio GD has me wondering if the NFB-17.32 would be a good match as a balanced source for driving the HD800. I like the WM8741 chips but the implementation is the issue. 

 

I guess I am wondering if the NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level. Any thoughts are appreciated. 

post #2196 of 3810

Based on the DAC + GS-X discussions on this thread, the issue is not so much if the "NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level," but rather how much you like the sound signature of the NFB-17.32. I will shut up as I don't have mine yet, but everyone here seems to say that the GS-X is transparent to the source. Anyway, I found this recent ranking interesting, but would be curious to see them add in the GS-X, as it seems like a perfect amp for DAC comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-17-dacs-and-dac-configurations

 

Also, to be clear, your GS-X hasn't shipped yet, right?

post #2197 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

I have had a few Dynalo based HeadAmp offerings and the mk2 is a good improvement over the original build.  I've also has the Mjolnir two times now on a few different sources.

 

Long story short if you consider the GS-X mk2 neutral then the Mjolnir is tonally shifted up into the treble with a more aggressive presentation.  Going the other way the GS-X mk2 would be tonally shifted down into the bass where it has endless reserves for deep bass.  The presentation is more natural, completely effortless.

 

They ride either side of the fence so a lot will come down to source and can.  The the LCD-3 the Gungnir/GS-X combo was too dark, PWD2/Mjolnir too bright.

 

For the asking price the Mjolnir is a no brainer when well paired.  The GS-X mk2 is the better amp for me and the added feature set make it worth the price gap for me. 

 

 

:beerchug:

 

yes!!!

post #2198 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolpe1600 View Post
 

Based on the DAC + GS-X discussions on this thread, the issue is not so much if the "NFB-17.32 is going to hit below the GS-X MK2's level," but rather how much you like the sound signature of the NFB-17.32. I will shut up as I don't have mine yet, but everyone here seems to say that the GS-X is transparent to the source. Anyway, I found this recent ranking interesting, but would be curious to see them add in the GS-X, as it seems like a perfect amp for DAC comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-17-dacs-and-dac-configurations

 

Also, to be clear, your GS-X hasn't shipped yet, right?

 

Thanks for the reference. I am in the next batch so no, it has not shipped yet but I believe that we are getting close....

post #2199 of 3810

Yep, I agree. I'm in this batch too. Once those BHSEs are done ...

post #2200 of 3810

The black panels/knobs for this production run are arriving today. This only leave the difficult to produce silver panels 

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2201 of 3810
Thanks for the update! Hope these arrive in good shape. Also, glad I switched to black.
post #2202 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

The black panels/knobs for this production run are arriving today. This only leave the difficult to produce silver panels 

Excellent news! So are we looking at a Jan shipping window? Excited for the new year now lol
post #2203 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
 

The black panels/knobs for this production run are arriving today. This only leave the difficult to produce silver panels 

 

Thanks for the update Justin. 

 

I am glad I went with black as well. I an curious though, why do the subs have harder time with silver? Are blemishes easier to notice? 

Thanks!

post #2204 of 3810
Silver is notoriously hard to do. Something in the chemical process that doesn't work as well as other colors.

Hoping mine will be done in the next couple weeks. Got my whole setup prepped for its arrival.
post #2205 of 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Silver is notoriously hard to do. Something in the chemical process that doesn't work as well as other colors.

Hoping mine will be done in the next couple weeks. Got my whole setup prepped for its arrival.

Thanks Max! Interesting. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread