or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 141

post #2101 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Named after the drink, actually.

cool thanks

post #2102 of 5267

This is from the design notes...

 

The genesis for this hybrid electrostatic headphone amplifier occurred when I was in Hawaii on vacation, at a fancy hotel on Maui. Sitting at the bar on the beach, drinking “Blue Hawaiis,” I drew the schematic for the amp on a placemat.

 

Pure Gilmore, love it =)

post #2103 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post

Here is a question for you guys - Is Blue Hawaii in BHSE named after the Frank Sinatra song "Blue Hawaii" written by Leo Robin
Ralph Rainger
 ? Or does it have a more practical meaning? 
Take a look at the BHSE thread. This question was just answered by Rico.
post #2104 of 5267

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I own what I think is a fairly large collection of headphones, but I'm planning to downsize and am eager to try Justin's HeadAmps. Right now I'm torn between a dynamic setup (GS-X mk2 with LCD-3/X or HD800) and an electrostatic setup (BHSE with SR-007 mk1). If I end up purchasing the BHSE, I may sell my SR-009 and get a used SR-007 mk1 as it is said to be a better match with BHSE and in many ways a better headphone than SR-009.

 

Has anyone here owned or compared both?

post #2105 of 5267

Try johnwmclean.

 

He prefers the 009 to the 007 Mk1 on his BHSE.

post #2106 of 5267

I have heard the SR-007 mk1 and the SR-009 on the BHSE and I can say that the SR-009 outperforms the SR-007. The SR-007 sounded 'veiled' compared to the SR-009.

post #2107 of 5267
Thanks for you feedback guys, but sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I meant the comparison between GS-X mk2 and BHSE.
post #2108 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I own what I think is a fairly large collection of headphones, but I'm planning to downsize and am eager to try Justin's HeadAmps. Right now I'm torn between a dynamic setup (GS-X mk2 with LCD-3/X or HD800) and an electrostatic setup (BHSE with SR-007 mk1). If I end up purchasing the BHSE, I may sell my SR-009 and get a used SR-007 mk1 as it is said to be a better match with BHSE and in many ways a better headphone than SR-009.

 

Has anyone here owned or compared both?

I don't think that is quite true.  Many people prefer the SR009 over SR007 on the BHSE.  Everyone's taste is differ.  Regarding, the GS-X MKII vs. BHSE combo, I say go with the BHSE if you have the fund.  As good as the GS-X MKII is, the BHSE is just better even though we are comparing different type of design principal here.

post #2109 of 5267

Get both :biggrin:

post #2110 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I don't think that is quite true.  Many people prefer the SR009 over SR007 on the BHSE.  Everyone's taste is differ.  Regarding, the GS-X MKII vs. BHSE combo, I say go with the BHSE if you have the fund.  As good as the GS-X MKII is, the BHSE is just better even though we are comparing different type of design principal here.

 

Well, I'm talking about the SR-007 mk1, not the current mk2.

 

Clearly, the SR-009 is better than the 007 mk2. But I still find the SR-009 somewhat bright and unnatural sounding, and fatiguing over long hours of listening. Maybe the BHSE will help with that, but if not, I will look into the 007 mk1 and compare both. If what many people are saying is true, that the 007 mk1 is more neutral and natural sounding than the SR-009, then I may become one of those folks who simply prefer the 007 mk1 to 009.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

Get both :biggrin:

 

Easy for you to say. :p

post #2111 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

 

Well, I'm talking about the SR-007 mk1, not the current mk2.

 

Clearly, the SR-009 is better than the 007 mk2. But I still find the SR-009 somewhat bright and unnatural sounding, and fatiguing over long hours of listening. Maybe the BHSE will help with that, but if not, I will look into the 007 mk1 and compare both. If what many people are saying is true, that the 007 mk1 is more neutral and natural sounding than the SR-009, then I may become one of those folks who simply prefer the 007 mk1 to 009.

 

 

Easy for you to say.:p

maybe ask http://www.head-fi.org/u/278460/bearded-man as well, i think he had all of them at one stage. his fav is the Stax SR Omega, he does not have BHSE though. 

post #2112 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

 

... But I still find the SR-009 somewhat bright and unnatural sounding, and fatiguing over long hours of listening. Maybe the BHSE will help with that....

 

 

Easy for you to say. " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif">

 




Everyone's preferences on this are different, but I am almost certain that the bhse will not "soften" the aspects of the 009 that you find objectionable. That said, I prefer the 009 to the 007 MKI, but continue to have both.
post #2113 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

 

Well, I'm talking about the SR-007 mk1, not the current mk2.

 

Clearly, the SR-009 is better than the 007 mk2. But I still find the SR-009 somewhat bright and unnatural sounding, and fatiguing over long hours of listening. Maybe the BHSE will help with that, but if not, I will look into the 007 mk1 and compare both. If what many people are saying is true, that the 007 mk1 is more neutral and natural sounding than the SR-009, then I may become one of those folks who simply prefer the 007 mk1 to 009.

 

 

Easy for you to say. :p

 

If that how you feel about the 009 then go for the SR007 MKI instead.  You simply prefer the mellower sound of the SR007.  Like many SR009 lovers here, the BHSE+SR009 is sublime in my opinion.  You can always upgrade the tube on the BHSE to suit the 009 better.   I'm running a matched  Quad of NOS Mullard XF4 with great great results.


Edited by purk - 12/4/13 at 9:25am
post #2114 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

If that how you feel about the 009 then go for the SR007 MKI instead.  You simply prefer the mellower sound of the SR007.  Like many SR009 lovers here, the BHSE+SR009 is sublime in my opinion.  You can always upgrade the tube on the BHSE to suit the 009 better.   I'm running a matched  Quad of NOS Mullard XF4 with great great results.

 

Where can I get a quad set of these?

post #2115 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Where can I get a quad set of these?

I was able to get them from my headfi friend.  You will need to search around for it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread