Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 3825

The GSX has enough power to drive HE500, HE6 ?

 

What is difference with a B22 ?

post #212 of 3825

GS-X v1 can drive the HE-500

GS-X v2 can drive the HE-6

 

Single ended B22 is slightly less powerful than the GS-X v2 balanced.

post #213 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

GS-X v1 can drive the HE-500

GS-X v2 can drive the HE-6

 

Single ended B22 is slightly less powerful than the GS-X v2 balanced.

 

Hopefully..

post #214 of 3825

Already been tested.

post #215 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis On the v1 there are circular accent rings around the XLR's and raised portions for the 1/4" jacks (I think). Hoping the finished panel will have that too right? God I hope not. The original GS-X face looks odd also naval compared to the BHSE.

It will be just like the bhse front panel. There wont be any extra pieces bolted on. The xlr/combo jacks will be flush with the front of the panel


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #216 of 3825

Yay, so excited to see the final amp =)

post #217 of 3825
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post

All things aside.  Just some very small observations on the GS-X (rev1) that I hope our resident GS-X creepers don't call me out on beerchug.gif

 

The first headphone I listened to it with was the RS-1 which I did not like the pairing almost immediately.  It made the RS-1 sound more neutral and less romantic than I would like; I guess the RS-1 really likes tube amps.  Then I moved along to the HD600 which I found to be a pretty good match up, not world class, but decent.  I moved along to the HD800, HP-2, and LCD-2 rev1; I'd say the latter three sounded noticeably better than I've heard them before on other amps.  Shockingly my favorite pairing is probably the LCD-2r1 ~ it's like they woke up from a serious nap, I feel the Audeze are a little pickier with amps than some would have you believe.  All the blackness/super clean noise floor talk I've read about from others is also warranted.  It's hard to describe, but the background that the music comes from is super clear.  Coming from tube amps though, I may be a little more sensitive to this.  I also have the distinct impression that listening to music, everything was present 100%, there was no detail or stone left unturned.  I didn't get to try out the pre-amp qualities or the ad2k's or really even source roll but I guess that's for another day.

 

Notwithstanding, I need you guys to not let me buy things for at least a few weeks.  Getting hitched at the end of the month, and after picking up this amp, it made me realize I should minimize any sort of debts until at least after the dust settles.  I'm moving this beauty to a new owner already and hope they can provide some further insights for us. Sadly I won't get to a/b with the rev2.

 

 

I guess that's the problem with an amp as transparent as the GS-X. It lets you hear exactly how the headphones (and our source for that matter) really sound without adding any colouration of their own. I'm not surprised that the GS-X doesn't pair well with the RS-1s...I imagine the treble would be a bit too sizzly for my liking. Now a warm tubey amp like the MAD Ear+HD and the RS1s is a match made in heaven.

 

The GS-X is the best SS amp I've heard with both my LCD-3s and HD-800s and was only really rivalled by my (now sold) Liquid Fire. The uber low noise floor and 3 gain settings make this GS-X the most versatile amp I've owned. It drives my uber-sensitive SE535s (with zero noise floor) up to my LCD-3s and HD-800s with plenty of head room. That said, I've got the upgrade modules coming in a few weeks for a bit moar power. 

post #218 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post


It will be just like the bhse front panel. There wont be any extra pieces bolted on. The xlr/combo jacks will be flush with the front of the panel
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I'm pleased to know the GS-X's front panel will be similar to the BHSE's, because when I have the GS-X it'll be positioned on the shelf below the amp section of the my BHSE, as can be seen in the photo.

 700

post #219 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

 

I'm pleased to know the GS-X's front panel will be similar to the BHSE's, because when I have the GS-X it'll be positioned on the shelf below the amp section of the my BHSE, as can be seen in the photo.

 700

 

 

So did you settle for the HD600s over the TH900s?

post #220 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

 

I guess that's the problem with an amp as transparent as the GS-X. It lets you hear exactly how the headphones (and our source for that matter) really sound without adding any colouration of their own. I'm not surprised that the GS-X doesn't pair well with the RS-1s...I imagine the treble would be a bit too sizzly for my liking. Now a warm tubey amp like the MAD Ear+HD and the RS1s is a match made in heaven.

 

The GS-X is the best SS amp I've heard with both my LCD-3s and HD-800s and was only really rivalled by my (now sold) Liquid Fire. The uber low noise floor and 3 gain settings make this GS-X the most versatile amp I've owned. It drives my uber-sensitive SE535s (with zero noise floor) up to my LCD-3s and HD-800s with plenty of head room. That said, I've got the upgrade modules coming in a few weeks for a bit moar power. 

 

x2

post #221 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

So did you settle for the HD600s over the TH900s?

 

Yes, because in the UK the TH900 is £1499 whereas the HD-600 cost me £269. I had the money to buy the TH-900 but I needed a new combo boiler and my garden done which the garden was expensive, so I decided to get the HD-600 with it being less expensive and I'm very happy with it. Although my source does improve the SQ a lot.  

post #222 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I'm pleased to know the GS-X's front panel will be similar to the BHSE's, because when I have the GS-X it'll be positioned on the shelf below the amp section of the my BHSE, as can be seen in the photo.
 

David, which Esoteric are you using as a source?
post #223 of 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post


David, which Esoteric are you using as a source?

The K-01, longbowbbs.

post #224 of 3825

While I've got the HD600 to use with the new GS-X , I've also got the se535's which I'm looking forward to trying with that amp. [ I bought the se535's from Headamp the same time I got the Pico Slim ] However the se535's start to feel uncomfortable after so long, so I think I'll get custom ear pieces to fit on those earphones.

post #225 of 3825

It's odd.  To me anyway.  Your DAC and amp (GS-X) are on the HI-End side of things.  You can have a argument that the GS-X is one of the best SS headphone amps out.  You choice of the HD600 is more of a entry level headphone - Compared to you DAC and Amp.  No worries.  To each is own.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread