Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 91

post #1351 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I know they listened to them both but I don't think they opened them up.  And if they did, odd they didn't take a shot given they aren't normally shy about posting internal shots.  Especially since PS posts the internal on their own site.

 

I'd have to reread it but was the upgrade PWD1 better or in no way you could mistake one for the other in a blind test better?

Maybe you're right, I must be mistaken about internal shots. I do recall claims about the analog boards being different, etc.

I know Purrin is a little nicer with his words, but Anax claims the MKII is basically garbage.

 

FWIW: I've heard MKI upgraded to II and preferred the MKII, but I chalked that up more to FW than significant changes under the hood.


Edited by paradoxper - 6/18/13 at 3:43pm
post #1352 of 3750
Anax doesn't have many grades. It either is perfect, not-**** or ****, nothing in between. Don't read too much into it.
Edited by Maxvla - 6/18/13 at 3:47pm
post #1353 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Anax doesn't have many grades. It either is perfect, not-**** or ****, nothing in between. Don't read too much into it.

I don't read too much into anyone's opinion. We all have differing feelings on gear, etc.

It's just interesting how he finds the MKII garbage.

 

Furthermore, there's soo much misinformation on the net, it would be funny to find out

the changes between MKI and MKII are negligible.


Edited by paradoxper - 6/18/13 at 3:50pm
post #1354 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I've already found one with the X-Sabre. I loaned it to Purk and he has posted some comments, I also loaned it to Purrin and Anaxilus and they both preferred their upgraded MKI to the X-Sabre but thought the Sabre was a good DAC for the money. At the Austin meet I brought over my X-Sabre and HD800s to Justin's table and heard my rig with his amp. That is the best audition you can hope for short of an in-home trial. It was a great combo, perhaps my last.

 

Doesn't sound like you found the right one to me.  Like I said, I'll put my money on the PWD any day of the week on a DAC that's sub $2.5K.   So you made this decision at a meet? blink.gif  I know I've been wrong many of times relying on meet impressions.  Sorry not creditable in this case.  Good DAC for the money doesn't make it a world class DAC that can take on DAC 2 and 3 times it's cost.

 

If you say you know lots of DACs 2 and 3 time it's cost that doesn't sound as good - I'll say, what are they (Names)...

 

There's plenty of professional reviews on the PWD DAC.  Are there any on the X-Saber?  I'm just asking because I haven't seen any.  I've also heard the X-Saber was meh at best while some prefer the Gungnir over it.

 

O glad you found you last comboblink.gif  I'm in the camp that will always upgrade - "if possible."


Edited by preproman - 6/18/13 at 4:00pm
post #1355 of 3750
Just going to ignore you from now on with an attitude like that.
post #1356 of 3750

post #1357 of 3750

popcorn.gif

post #1358 of 3750

For the love of GS-X & GS-X MKII....let's get along.beerchug.gif


Edited by purk - 6/18/13 at 7:20pm
post #1359 of 3750

Thanks for all the information guys. Learning a lot :)

post #1360 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


Let me count the ways...

First you seem to think I haven't heard the MKII which I have, as is plainly seen in my post.

Second, you are parroting the 'if it costs more it must be better' argument I disagree with completely.

Third, the Perfectwave has been around for a long time and is made by a high profile DAC maker. The X-Sabre has been out for 3 months in very low quantity and is from a traditionally value brand, not something most journalists are looking at to find exceptional performance. I offered to send my DAC to a publication since the reviewer was interested in the DAC, because there were only a handful of them in the US at the time, but he had to refuse stating products can't be from individuals, only companies, due to their policies. Project86 is working on a review of the DAC for Innerfidelity or wherever it will be showcased on the Stereophile brand sites.

Fourth I mention I think I've found my endgame setup (within a budget, short of HE-90/BHSE) and you backhand complement me with congratulations saddled with bugeyed smiley faces that comes across as patronizing.

And the worst part is when you tell me I haven't found the right DAC in the first sentence.

I am confident I know what I like better than you know what I like. If you don't agree, find a better way to state it. I didn't agree that the PWDII was that great of a DAC but all I said was to investigate and make sure that is what he wanted before blindly buying. If he gets the DAC and loves it, that is great.

Oh and the whole meet impressions thing I also don't agree with. There is some truth to it, but you have to get down to extremely minor details between two pieces of gear before that will matter. For those situations there are mini-meets.
Edited by Maxvla - 6/18/13 at 5:07pm
post #1361 of 3750

I'm sorry

post #1362 of 3750

FWIW, I do like my PWD mk2. I own the NAD m51 as well, and I do prefer the PWD. I cannot comment on the synergy between it and the GSX though. While I have heard the GSX a couple of times now, I have not heard it with the PWD. Still, I listen to it my PWD with another JFET SS amp and they sound great together. I am really looking forward to dropping that GSX into the mix to drive the HD800. You may not like the PWD, but calling it garbage is a bit of a disservice to the community or prospective buyers. 

post #1363 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

FWIW, I do like my PWD mk2. I own the NAD m51 as well, and I do prefer the PWD. I cannot comment on the synergy between it and the GSX though. While I have heard the GSX a couple of times now, I have not heard it with the PWD. Still, I listen to it my PWD with another JFET SS amp and they sound great together. I am really looking forward to dropping that GSX into the mix to drive the HD800. You may not like the PWD, but calling it garbage is a bit of a disservice to the community or prospective buyers. 

Cante, you should quote reply to give context. No one here bad mouthed the MKII. It was specifically referencing other impressions, some of which

are from people known to have rash feelings when it comes to gear.

post #1364 of 3750

Actually Max and Huang both flat out said the PWD2 wasn't that good and didn't impress.  Neither has stated why though.  I got rid of the W4S DAC-2 because I found it overly dark and shouty, the Metrum Octave because it was a little dry and flat.  The rest of my DACs weren't around when I got the PWD2 so... no comment.  But the PWD2 was easily the more natural, alive and clean of the bunch with the most focused instrument placement.  So I like it.

post #1365 of 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Actually Max and Huang both flat out said the PWD2 wasn't that good and didn't impress.  Neither has stated why though.  I got rid of the W4S DAC-2 because I found it overly dark and shouty, the Metrum Octave because it was a little dry and flat.  The rest of my DACs weren't around when I got the PWD2 so... no comment.  But the PWD2 was easily the more natural, alive and clean of the bunch with the most focused instrument placement.  So I like it.

Well, my posts included the use of the word garbage. Haha. Max just said he doesn't think it's all its cracked up to be. Just looking to clarify.

The PWD is the best I've heard, my unit was with bridge and the eLyrics software was a deal-breaker for me. I'm sure I'll be picking another one up

barring the Yggdrasil blows it out of the water.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread