Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread - Page 78

post #1156 of 3802

Personally I really don't like headphone amps in my DACs anyway.  Don't ask me why, I just don't..

post #1157 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post                            

 

Sorry, but I enjoy taking photos. I've posted this photo to show why the mini rack for the GS-X, was made to the size I asked for.

 

The GSX moves a lot of air, are you sure there's enough room for air movement above you GSX in this setup?

post #1158 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

The GSX moves a lot of air, are you sure there's enough room for air movement above you GSX in this setup?

 

Probably not, but that's how I want the GS-X to look on my audio rack.

post #1159 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

Wow!  Time to go see an audiologist :P  I also listen at 11-1 with the HD800 but on LOW.  Especially scary given the DA11 wide open voltage output is 12Vrms to the PWD2 5.6Vrms output.

 

no audiologist needed though I appreciate your concern... my wife was an audiologist.  In my system, if the DA-11 set at 40, GS-Xm2 high gain, volume at 11oclock, playing a typical track results in an SPL measure inside the HD800 of around 78db, with short max peaks of 84db which most people can take 8 hours / day without hearing damage. This is louder than my normal listening levels.  My DA-11 is typically set  between 20-30 (e.g. 10-20db less).  The GS-X gain/volume knob positioning  is level matched (running fully balanced) compared to the built in headphone amplifier in the DA-11.  This is left over from when I was doing A/B comparisons. I suppose I should put the DA-11 back to 40 and drop the GS-X down.
 
--mark

Edited by verber - 5/2/13 at 10:21am
post #1160 of 3802

Odder still.  On low gain, PWD2 5.6V balanced input, 11 o'clock on mk2, HD800 balanced... 80dB pink noise or ~83dB peaks.  Weird.

post #1161 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

very nice David. 

 

And to those that think I was being pushy check out my previous posts. I stated over and over again that I am not in a rush and dont want Justin to feel rushed either. Before you insinuate that I am not polite do your research. ALso if you read the thread you see people comment on why the wait times are as they are and you will see that like Preproman said things can come up with suppliers that disrupt things. I have met Justin in person and I think he knows that I am just fine with waiting as long as it takes -- happily. But whats wrong with asking for status once in a blue moon?

 

right now, i'm waiting for the custom aluminum i ordered for the BHSE panels.  this will also be used to make the next batch of GS-X front panels.  its supposed to be ready next week, and then a local machine shop will machine the front panels.  the rest of the boxes --- i already had 1/2 of them for a few months then decided i needed to double the # of amps in this batch otherwise it will already be sold out.  the 2nd half of boxes shipped today.  will need to get the holes put in the back panels for that second group of parts and then everything can get powder coated

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #1162 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Odder still.  On low gain, PWD2 5.6V balanced input, 11 o'clock on mk2, HD800 balanced... 80dB pink noise or ~83dB peaks.  Weird.

 

your right... our experiences do seem at odds.  Sounds like you are eiither your GS-Xmk2 has 20db more gain than mine, or that I am feeding mine 20db less than you are.  I will check the output from my DA-11.... shoot.  sometime later.  my test gear is being borrowed by a buddy.

 

--Mark

post #1163 of 3802

I'm glad to see a bit of life in here.

 

Thanks for the update, Justin!  I'm excited to get a sneak peak at the DC meetup later this month! =D

post #1164 of 3802

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

The GSX moves a lot of air, are you sure there's enough room for air movement above you GSX in this setup?

 

Probably not, but that's how I want the GS-X to look on my audio rack.

 

I assume that this to some degree is dependant/at the mercy of the normal temperatures of the user's place of living(?) There's a difference between say summer in the US Deep South and normal temperatures in Northern England, Scotland, Canada or Scandinavia.

 

Yesterday 3 May we woke up to fresh snow in Bergen, Norway (Coordinates: 60°23′22″N 5°19′48″E). Snow isn't normal this late, but not unheard of either though. We're less than a degree south of Anchorage, but the climate is much milder because of the Gulf Stream.

post #1165 of 3802

If I'd been putting the amp section of the BHSE in the position I have the GS-Xmk2, then that might have caused a problem, but from what I've read the GS-X doesn't get as hot as the BHSE is supposed to. I say supposed because I've never felt my BHSE get very hot, I have had it get hot, but only when I had it on for several hours. 

post #1166 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

right now, i'm waiting for the custom aluminum i ordered for the BHSE panels.  this will also be used to make the next batch of GS-X front panels.  its supposed to be ready next week, and then a local machine shop will machine the front panels.  the rest of the boxes --- i already had 1/2 of them for a few months then decided i needed to double the # of amps in this batch otherwise it will already be sold out.  the 2nd half of boxes shipped today.  will need to get the holes put in the back panels for that second group of parts and then everything can get powder coated

Thanks Justin. Take your time. my question is not meant to rush anything. Good things are worth waiting for and this is such a thing.  Do your thing. I Just like to be in the loop. It makes the wait easier.


Edited by Cante Ista - 5/4/13 at 2:48pm
post #1167 of 3802
Quote:David1961
If I'd been putting the amp section of the BHSE in the position I have the GS-Xmk2, then that might have caused a problem, but from what I've read the GS-X doesn't get as hot as the BHSE is supposed to. I say supposed because I've never felt my BHSE get very hot, I have had it get hot, but only when I had it on for several hours.

That's just about the time to do some serious listening with the BHSE....

post #1168 of 3802

Since the very first time I heard an improvement in SQ from the BHSE after it had been on power above an hour, I always leave it on for at least that time before I use it. However I can't say I've detected the same with the GS-Xmk2, but having said that, I haven't had it on power for above an hour that much because what I tend to do is listen to the GS-X while I'm waiting for the BHSE to warm up.

 

I think what I'm going to do is leave the power on the GS-Xmk2 for about three hours, then find out if I can hear an improvement in SQ like I can with the BHSE. 

post #1169 of 3802
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Since the very first time I heard an improvement in SQ from the BHSE after it had been on power above an hour, I always leave it on for at least that time before I use it. However I can't say I've detected the same with the GS-Xmk2, but having said that, I haven't had it on power for above an hour that much because what I tend to do is listen to the GS-X while I'm waiting for the BHSE to warm up.

I think what I'm going to do is leave the power on the GS-Xmk2 for about three hours, then find out if I can hear an improvement in SQ like I can with the BHSE. 
That is what I would be doing if I had a Stax rig with the bhse
post #1170 of 3802

I listened to the GS-Xmk2 yesterday after I had it on for over three hours, and I'm not sure if there was a difference in SQ like there is with the BHSE, there might have been an improvement but I'll carry on doing what I've been doing, that is what I've mentioned in my previous post. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread