Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 205

post #3061 of 3569

like Moster sized shielded speaker wire you mean, someone gave me that idea, and it is a good one

post #3062 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post
 

like Moster sized shielded speaker wire you mean, someone gave me that idea, and it is a good one


Only if you can get the Flat stuff:)

post #3063 of 3569

I recently bought a pair of MH-1s (the white variety) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281271061957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They came with 8 pairs of tips, 4 orange and 4 clear. Unfortunately, no shirt clip was included, but since it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the sell, I can't quite complain. No big deal though :D

 

After receiving them, the first thing I did, was open the controls and solder together the mic and gnd wires, so I could get proper sound off of them. Boy, they sound great!!

 

Like many of you, I was also not happy with the cable, and having a good for nothing control just hanging there, so I decided to re-cable them, hoping not to ruin them in the process...

I had an AKG K420 cable laying around, that I've bought to fix my phones, but ended up not using it, since I had to donate the K420 speakers to my K450, after one of them died.

 

Since this is my first post, I cannot yet add pictures.

I'm including a link to an album at my G+ account, so you guys can check it out! (please let me know if I'm breaking any rule by doing this)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108792748444072472998/albums/6002858674680309313

post #3064 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FInixNOver View Post
 

I recently bought a pair of MH-1s (the white variety) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281271061957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They came with 8 pairs of tips, 4 orange and 4 clear. Unfortunately, no shirt clip was included, but since it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the sell, I can't quite complain. No big deal though :D

 

After receiving them, the first thing I did, was open the controls and solder together the mic and gnd wires, so I could get proper sound off of them. Boy, they sound great!!

 

Like many of you, I was also not happy with the cable, and having a good for nothing control just hanging there, so I decided to re-cable them, hoping not to ruin them in the process...

I had an AKG K420 cable laying around, that I've bought to fix my phones, but ended up not using it, since I had to donate the K420 speakers to my K450, after one of them died.

 

Since this is my first post, I cannot yet add pictures.

I'm including a link to an album at my G+ account, so you guys can check it out! (please let me know if I'm breaking any rule by doing this)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108792748444072472998/albums/6002858674680309313

great job!!

post #3065 of 3569

Now that's a slick looking recabling job!

post #3066 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FInixNOver View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I recently bought a pair of MH-1s (the white variety) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281271061957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They came with 8 pairs of tips, 4 orange and 4 clear. Unfortunately, no shirt clip was included, but since it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the sell, I can't quite complain. No big deal though :D

 

After receiving them, the first thing I did, was open the controls and solder together the mic and gnd wires, so I could get proper sound off of them. Boy, they sound great!!

 

Like many of you, I was also not happy with the cable, and having a good for nothing control just hanging there, so I decided to re-cable them, hoping not to ruin them in the process...

I had an AKG K420 cable laying around, that I've bought to fix my phones, but ended up not using it, since I had to donate the K420 speakers to my K450, after one of them died.

 

 

Since this is my first post, I cannot yet add pictures.

I'm including a link to an album at my G+ account, so you guys can check it out! (please let me know if I'm breaking any rule by doing this)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108792748444072472998/albums/6002858674680309313

 

Wow - looks awesome to me! Very nicely done. I'm shipping my MH1's over to you as we speak! :)

post #3067 of 3569

Well it was my first real re-cabling, I mean, I had tinkered with wires and soldering before, fixing some connections here and there, but nothing like this!!

Before then, the closest I came to doing it, was replacing the speakers from my AKG K450 with the ones from my K420...

If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have done this. Thanks to all of your posts, tutorials and photos, I had the motivation I needed to try it myself. I'm very happy with the result, and I'm also happy to contribute, so that someone else can be motivated by it.

 

I'm even considering buying another set, and re-cabling them IEM style (braided wires, and replaceable cable).

I'm just not too sure of what cables to get. I'm from Portugal, and I'm very new at this, so a little help on stores and parts to get are welcome and appreciated!!

post #3068 of 3569

O.k. I've started experimenting on the mh1. I just thought I'd post some pictures of what I've done so far.

 

It's not as bad as it looks. I started by trying to use a dremel and drill into the driver area thinking I could possibly make an opening that way and then cover it when I was done. :-P So much for that idea. You can see there is a chunk of material at the end of the cable that just didn't let that happen easily. So I just removed everything to do something along the line of rin's mod. I'm still brainstorming over what to use for the encapsulation, but at least now it's real easy to get to the drivers. :-P

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

post #3069 of 3569

^

Muahahahahahahahahahahaha

700... most exxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent. :evil:

post #3070 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

O.k. I've started experimenting on the mh1. I just thought I'd post some pictures of what I've done so far.

 

It's not as bad as it looks. I started by trying to use a dremel and drill into the driver area thinking I could possibly make an opening that way and then cover it when I was done. :-P So much for that idea. You can see there is a chunk of material at the end of the cable that just didn't let that happen easily. So I just removed everything to do something along the line of rin's mod. I'm still brainstorming over what to use for the encapsulation, but at least now it's real easy to get to the drivers. :-P

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark


Well gee whiz if that doesn't look familiar:)  I have those lying around in exactly that state awaiting some supernatural force to motivate me to do something with them. 1-use silicon shooting ear plug compound and embedd them in it thereby molding them into ersatz customs. 2- make a wood or other material disk like some of the large driver iems have that sits in the cup of the ear and bore through it to seat the MH1 driver in it. this has the appeal of being able to make a custom chamber , and a tuneable one at that.

 

BUT FIRST:D Cable em up the way they sit, throw a tip on em and listen to them the way they are!

post #3071 of 3569
Yeah. I'm just going to glue and mold the ends somehow, but i'd like to either mod it like rin did or at least use a small needle to make a vent or something as i mold it to retain the sound and prevent damage...
post #3072 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Yeah. I'm just going to glue and mold the ends somehow, but i'd like to either mod it like rin did or at least use a small needle to make a vent or something as i mold it to retain the sound and prevent damage...


Or depending on the housing you could mold a set screw in for an adjustable port.

 

On the stage one dis assembly, you can use a 1/4 inch drill ( a drill press is a better option) to drill right through the back and the cable end plug. We certainly aren't concerned with saving the original cabling after all;)

post #3073 of 3569
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Yeah. I'm just going to glue and mold the ends somehow, but i'd like to either mod it like rin did or at least use a small needle to make a vent or something as i mold it to retain the sound and prevent damage...


Or depending on the housing you could mold a set screw in for an adjustable port.

On the stage one dis assembly, you can use a 1/4 inch drill ( a drill press is a better option) to drill right through the back and the cable end plug. We certainly aren't concerned with saving the original cabling after all;)
if i'm going to do it that way i'd like to keep everything intact as much as possible, and drilling into it makes it hard to remove the plug without destroying the surround area to pull it out... I'd want to use the stress relief if possible.
post #3074 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I
if i'm going to do it that way i'd like to keep everything intact as much as possible, and drilling into it makes it hard to remove the plug without destroying the surround area to pull it out... I'd want to use the stress relief if possible.


The right drill size essentially disintegrates the plug allowing the cable to be pulled through the stress relief jacket.

post #3075 of 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I

if i'm going to do it that way i'd like to keep everything intact as much as possible, and drilling into it makes it hard to remove the plug without destroying the surround area to pull it out... I'd want to use the stress relief if possible.


The right drill size essentially disintegrates the plug allowing the cable to be pulled through the stress relief jacket.
I only have a dremel with included bits. :-O
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret