Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 194

post #2896 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi1983 View Post
 

 

i want to confirm, so with that adapter cable, it will make the MH1's compatible with regular 3.5mm mp3 players? (eg. sansa clip etc)


with that adapter i can listen to music on my laptop and on my galaxy s phone - the mic works too , the only issue is the functionality of the buttons (there are apps that can map the buttons to do certain functions though, but i didn't mess with them .. i can answer calls by pressing the middle button - and mute the mic if i press it again during the call lol)

 

if you don't want to use the mic at all, you don't even need the adapter , you can put something hard (i rolled some paper) and put it on the middle button and then roll some tape around the controller so the middle button gets permanently pressed down (i did this and i could listed to music normally on both my cellphone and my laptop , during the time i was waiting for the adapter to arrive). that way the ground and mic connectors will be shorted and act as ground and it will become like normal TRS connector


Edited by cj42 - 2/17/14 at 1:53pm
post #2897 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj42 View Post
 


with that adapter i can listen to music on my laptop and on my galaxy s phone - the mic works too , the only issue is the functionality of the buttons (there are apps that can map the buttons to do certain functions though, but i didn't mess with them .. i can answer calls by pressing the middle button - and mute the mic if i press it again during the call lol)

 

if you don't want to use the mic at all, you don't even need the adapter , you can put something hard (i rolled some paper) and put it on the middle button and then roll some tape around the controller so the middle button gets permanently pressed down (i did this and i could listed to music normally on both my cellphone and my laptop , during the time i was waiting for the adapter to arrive). that way the ground and mic connectors will be shorted and act as ground and it will become like normal TRS connector


thanks for ur response. i read in this thread someone zipped tied the middle button BUT it created problems with the button later on. 

post #2898 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi1983 View Post
 


thanks for ur response. i read in this thread someone zipped tied the middle button BUT it created problems with the button later on. 

 

my pleasure :)
well , yeah , it makes sense that the button will probably stop popping out (i guess this is the damage that was done) , thats why i told you that you can do this if you don't want to use the mic at all

post #2899 of 3308

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by higbvuyb View Post
 

The MH1C and MH1 have different-looking filters.

The MH1C (as far as I know) usually come with 4 sets of tips and the MH1 with 4 sets plus extra coloured (orange or green) tips, but tips vary.

 

I don't have the permissions to upload photos of my pair, but the differences in the filters of my two pairs is like these:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1515     post #1522

 

The listing did say it was the MH1Cs, not the MH1s, and the waxy paper tag on the cord also says it's MH1C. What confused me the most was the different material and number of ear tips of my second pair ...

post #2900 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicaanu View Post
 

 

 

I don't have the permissions to upload photos of my pair, but the differences in the filters of my two pairs is like these:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1515     post #1522

 

The listing did say it was the MH1Cs, not the MH1s, and the waxy paper tag on the cord also says it's MH1C. What confused me the most was the different material and number of ear tips of my second pair ...

The two right earphones on that picture are the MH1C, the ones on the left (which look like it has a circle inside) are the MH1.

post #2901 of 3308

I've had MH1s for some time now, and love their sound signature. I haven't heard a headphone with matching details, I can compare them to my roommate's HD558s.

 

Now, I've gathered some cash and am looking for an upgrade. I want a similar sound signature but with a biit more bass, a bit more punch in the mid bass region. I love the sub-bass on the MH1s but i'd like something that has a bit more impact. Also, I hate peaky and shrill/harsh treble.

I listen to mainly EDM and some Pop/Rock and a bit of Bollywood. I've found some headphones I like but I can't narrow down:

-Sony XB90EX (These seem to mostly fit the bill based on user reviews but I'm still not sure about how the mids and detailing fare.)

 

-ATH CKS-99 (Couldn't find much on these except that they're similar to the CKS1000 but less refined and have a warmer signature in the mids, which I like.)

 

-ATH IM-50 (The cheapest of the three, this one's been making a recent fuss over the forums and I'm liking what I'm reading, however still dunno whether the bass would be an improvement over the MH1s)

 

-DN-900 (While the 1000 is far too expensive for me, this baby 1000 looks to fit the bill quite nicely)

 

-Denon C-300 (These seem almost perfect, but the peaky highs scare me, also the fit looks a bit odd. Look like alien antennae)

 

-Monster Turbine Pro (Descriptions of these almost make me drool, I like how the coppers look too...golds not so much. But too expensive everywhere I find them frown.gif )

 

Any more recommendations?

post #2902 of 3308

Zero Audio Carbo Basso

post #2903 of 3308
^+1

Check out Astrotec ax35 as well.
post #2904 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadalavi1 View Post
 

I've had MH1s for some time now, and love their sound signature. I haven't heard a headphone with matching details, I can compare them to my roommate's HD558s.

 

Now, I've gathered some cash and am looking for an upgrade. I want a similar sound signature but with a biit more bass, a bit more punch in the mid bass region. I love the sub-bass on the MH1s but i'd like something that has a bit more impact. Also, I hate peaky and shrill/harsh treble.

I listen to mainly EDM and some Pop/Rock and a bit of Bollywood. I've found some headphones I like but I can't narrow down:

-Sony XB90EX (These seem to mostly fit the bill based on user reviews but I'm still not sure about how the mids and detailing fare.)

 

-ATH CKS-99 (Couldn't find much on these except that they're similar to the CKS1000 but less refined and have a warmer signature in the mids, which I like.)

 

-ATH IM-50 (The cheapest of the three, this one's been making a recent fuss over the forums and I'm liking what I'm reading, however still dunno whether the bass would be an improvement over the MH1s)

 

-DN-900 (While the 1000 is far too expensive for me, this baby 1000 looks to fit the bill quite nicely)

 

-Denon C-300 (These seem almost perfect, but the peaky highs scare me, also the fit looks a bit odd. Look like alien antennae)

 

-Monster Turbine Pro (Descriptions of these almost make me drool, I like how the coppers look too...golds not so much. But too expensive everywhere I find them frown.gif )

 

Any more recommendations?

 

M50 has less bass than the mh1 really, but the treble is a little different in signature...  

turbine pro are overrated, but not really bad or anything.  I'd take the mh1 any day if you like details.

 

Also, you mention wanting more mid bass and impact.  Those are almost opposite things. :-P  Impact comes primarily from low and sub bass coupled with high frequencies for the attack portion of whatever bass instrument you hear.  Mid bass makes things warm and softer sounding.  They do increase bassiness a bit overall, but can make the bass seem fatter and less "impactful".  Impact is usually in the range of say 30-100hz or so.  Maybe a bit higher.  Unless you're looking for more "body" to the sound?

 

Of all the phones you listed, I'd personally choose the mh1 because it is overall a smoother frequency response which reveals more detail, but it still offers a good amount of bass.  It also responds very well to eq if you're into that...

 

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the sony ex85lp. :-P ha.  cheap, bassier, more mid bass, still good treble.

post #2905 of 3308

Hi guys, I currently have a pair of the Klipsch S4 and I was wondering if the mh1's would be a worthy upgrade. I'm also taking a look at the Etymotic HF5's and the Brainwavz M4. Any suggestions on what would be best? Taking price into consideration, and HF5's would only be if it is a substantial upgrade as I don't really consider myself that big of an audiophile. I listen to rap, rock and some acoustic mainly. Also while I was researching the mh1's alot of people complained about the cord. Is it that bad? I'll mainly be using them while walking around as well, so that got me quite concerned about buying them. 

 

Also for the mh1's, these would be the right pair right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headset-MH1-EC250-adaptor-For-Sony-Lt26i-st26i-LT39i-C6603-LT36i-st27i-Z1-Black-/310844630845?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item485fc8a73d


Edited by caaalvin - 2/20/14 at 5:10pm
post #2906 of 3308

Hi guys, I currently have the Klipsch S4's and am looking to get another pair of headphones. Right now I'm looking at these MH1's, the Brainwavz M4 and Etymotics HF5's. I mainly listen to rap, rock and acoustic songs. I was about to pull the trigger on a couple pairs of the MH1's on eBay, but I'm a bit concerned about the cord. I mainly listen to my Sansa clip while walking to and from class so I'd prefer something with minimal microphonics and a solid fit. I'd also like the best value, the HF5's would only be if it was that substantial of an upgrade. If not the MH1's, I'd probably go for the M4 provided they're still $26 on Amazon.

post #2907 of 3308
Quote:
Also, you mention wanting more mid bass and impact.  Those are almost opposite things. :-P ​

Lol yeah, I might be a bit new to this. Sound can be tricky to describe.

 

Well, what I mean is, I want IEMs that move a bit more air overall. Some "thump" without losing a lot of clarity. I believe thats the same as sound with more "body" so yeah. That's a better way to describe what I'm looking for.

post #2908 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by higbvuyb View Post
 

The two right earphones on that picture are the MH1C, the ones on the left (which look like it has a circle inside) are the MH1.


So have I been sold a MH1 instead of a MH1C? Is there any way to test which one it is?

post #2909 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicaanu View Post
 


So have I been sold a MH1 instead of a MH1C? Is there any way to test which one it is?

The MH1 is OTMP rather than CTIA.

 

What this means is an MH1 will sound terrible when plugged into a modern Android device, but will sound normal when you press the middle button. An MH1C will sound normal, button pressed or not. The other way around for older Nokia phones and Sony Ericsson phones.

post #2910 of 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicaanu View Post
 


So have I been sold a MH1 instead of a MH1C? Is there any way to test which one it is?


LoL, it's simple really the MH1 has that Sony Ericsson logo while the MH1C don't.

 

..... (Left = MH1C)  vs. (Right = MH1)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret