Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 20

post #286 of 3062
Quote:
Be patient wink.gif

 

 

I assure you I AM PATIENT! wink.gif 

 

cool.gif

post #287 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

Just quickly, I got from the review that these should be fairly sensitive iems - but nuckinfutz claims that they need a bit of power.  Pretty sure that Clieos just runs his off his sansa and cube mp3 players when testing...how well do they run straight out of a mp3 player?

Just to clarify, these do require more power than my other pairs (Eterna, GR06, GR07), and I was struggling to get suffiecient volume from the Xperia S. I do have to push the pre-amp right up to get good volume for the GR07 but the MH1C's are even more hungry. I do like my miusic loud though, probably louder than most.

I've sorted it though, I use replaygain @ 91dB on all my music and this was not giving me enough headroom with the MH1C....so turning it off in Poweramp has given me the volume I need. I now just have music with different output levels rolleyes.gif

Anyway, just got to work, time to compare to GR07....FIGHT!
post #288 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post


Just to clarify, these do require more power than my other pairs (Eterna, GR06, GR07), and I was struggling to get suffiecient volume from the Xperia S. I do have to push the pre-amp right up to get good volume for the GR07 but the MH1C's are even more hungry. I do like my miusic loud though, probably louder than most.
I've sorted it though, I use replaygain @ 91dB on all my music and this was not giving me enough headroom with the MH1C....so turning it off in Poweramp has given me the volume I need. I now just have music with different output levels rolleyes.gif
Anyway, just got to work, time to compare to GR07....FIGHT!

 

You and I both my friend, I'll be needing hearing aids in my 50's probably but its worth it :)

 

I find that with some IEM's if I go up to high on the pre-amp and add some bass that on my phone the bass starts to distort a bit, when it first happened I though my driver blew.  I'm guessing that the MH1c wont need any bass boost so they should be fine.

post #289 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

You and I both my friend, I'll be needing hearing aids in my 50's probably but its worth it smily_headphones1.gif

I find that with some IEM's if I go up to high on the pre-amp and add some bass that on my phone the bass starts to distort a bit, when it first happened I though my driver blew.  I'm guessing that the MH1c wont need any bass boost so they should be fine.

Yeah, this is due to the signal clipping....make sure your global volume is maxed before using the pre-amp. This is why I use replaygain on all my tracks, gives ample headroom for EQ without clipping. Without it albums like Californication (which is supidly loud and poorly produced) will clip like a biatch!!

Yeah the MH1C don't need much bass boost that's for sure....they aren't boomy though.
post #290 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post


Yeah, this is due to the signal clipping....make sure your global volume is maxed before using the pre-amp. This is why I use replaygain on all my tracks, gives ample headroom for EQ without clipping. Without it albums like Californication (which is supidly loud and poorly produced) will clip like a biatch!!
Yeah the MH1C don't need much bass boost that's for sure....they aren't boomy though.

Yeah, that's the problem with the mh1c - it is very good but for its main purpose to be a phone headset there aren't a lot of phones with enough power to drive it properly without an amp, which then makes the mic useless. And you should get the Californication's Alternate mix, which is a lot better than the original mastering

post #291 of 3062

Just ordered from Amazon.  I should have them by Thursday.

post #292 of 3062

Ordered them after seeing the review of op

Received them today, and I must say, this was a good buy.

 

The SQ is soo good I'm wondering why people buy more expensive headsets.

The only IEM I owned were the soundmagic pl30 but those ones are definetly better.

I didn't bought them for my phone (which is not "smart") but for my portable rig.

I must say it can stand the comparision with my home rig.

The only complain I have would be that it lacks "air", don't know how to say it precisely, it's probably due to the fact that they are IEM

But as OP stated it in his review, those IEMs are almost flawless : higher trebles can get sibilant or the lowert part of the basses muddy but this is a really anecdotic, this is a real bargain.

Thanks op.

post #293 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puranti View Post

Ordered them after seeing the review of op

Received them today, and I must say, this was a good buy.

 

The SQ is soo good I'm wondering why people buy more expensive headsets.

The only IEM I owned were the soundmagic pl30 but those ones are definetly better.

I didn't bought them for my phone (which is not "smart") but for my portable rig.

I must say it can stand the comparision with my home rig.

The only complain I have would be that it lacks "air", don't know how to say it precisely, it's probably due to the fact that they are IEM

But as OP stated it in his review, those IEMs are almost flawless : higher trebles can get sibilant or the lowert part of the basses muddy but this is a really anecdotic, this is a real bargain.

Thanks op.


don't forget it's not burned in yet.

many people have noted that burn in is essential.

post #294 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post


Yeah, this is due to the signal clipping....make sure your global volume is maxed before using the pre-amp. This is why I use replaygain on all my tracks, gives ample headroom for EQ without clipping. Without it albums like Californication (which is supidly loud and poorly produced) will clip like a biatch!!
Yeah the MH1C don't need much bass boost that's for sure....they aren't boomy though.

 

Yeah I always have the volume maxed before I start messing with the pre-amp, it has only done it when I had to go close to max on the pre-amp but now that I use my E11 I have no problems at all with clipping.

post #295 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by stojstorm View Post

alright then, sounds like d70 is what i want to try

good that they all have different sound signatures so i can use them specifically for suitable genres of music

 

the fun of switching between several great bargains vs sticking with an expensive all-rounder ksc75smile.gif

 

 

just like Eric explained, the 70's gots less bass.  i like them over the 80's cause they remaind me the S500 with stock pads in some ways.

Whe all have are own tastes and prefer some kind of sound signature, i am going to sell my 80's cause for me, the 70's are better. more balanced less fatiguing.

 

If it was not cause Eric kept bringing the 70's to the fxd thread and comenting about how much more balanced they where, i would be stuck with the 80s' (No, they dont sound bad, but 70's is more of my liking)., thats the reason there are so many iems and hp, there is no such thing as the phone that all should have and should like.

 

So again, Thanks Eric 

 

 

 

Back to this Sony,  amazing for the price its just nuts,  20 bucks its like stealing Sony. 


Edited by rickdohc - 10/31/12 at 6:47am
post #296 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikn00b View Post


don't forget it's not burned in yet.

many people have noted that burn in is essential.

 

Burn in only influence the listening experience in a very subtle way. When you do the burn-in, and listen to the headphone then you're burning-in your brain. As inner fidelity showed it, it is mechanically anecdotic.

post #297 of 3062
Thread Starter 
If you read Tyll burn-in article closely, I don't think he actually disregarded the idea of burn-in completely wink.gif Then again, I have 3 pairs of MH1 in various stage of burn-in that do tell me that burn-in does affect the sound, but how much of an effect is of course completely discussable, as long as it doesn't ruin the listening experience biggrin.gif
post #298 of 3062
Got mine in the post yesterday from total digital store on Amazon.

img201210301047581.jpg

First impressions:

Sound quality is what I expected from Sony, almost faultless on first listen.

However the cable really pisses me off... why oh why did they have to make it flat and unmanageable. Also the tips they supply with the headset are extremely uncomfortable and barely stay in the ear, the weight of the cable adds to this problem.

If only they has the build construction of say Brainwavz R1s, then they would be perfect for me. Right now I'm enclined not to listen to MH1 for a while just because they so akward.
Edited by Lifted Andreas - 10/31/12 at 7:43am
post #299 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puranti View Post

 

Burn in only influence the listening experience in a very subtle way. When you do the burn-in, and listen to the headphone then you're burning-in your brain. As inner fidelity showed it, it is mechanically anecdotic.


Hmm..I used to believe in the same before burning these, they sound so good after burn-in. I did a burn-in for 20 hours non-stop with pink, white tracks and tracks of various frequencies. I DID notice a major change after I listened to them, bass response was just like perfect to my liking after the burn-in

post #300 of 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

If you read Tyll burn-in article closely, I don't think he actually disregarded the idea of burn-in completely wink.gif Then again, I have 3 pairs of MH1 in various stage of burn-in that do tell me that burn-in does affect the sound, but how much of an effect is of course completely discussable, as long as it doesn't ruin the listening experience biggrin.gif

 

 

I'd just like to add that anyone who has experience with full size speakers knows that burn-in is a fact! Dynamic IEM's work in a way that can relate to full size speakers, as it's like having a tiny speaker inside an enclosure! So, why won't dynamic IEM's benefit from burn-in too?!? This doesn't apply in the same way to BA IEMs, even if I believe those too benefit from burn-in (in a smaller time amount). Just my 2 cents...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret