Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 19

post #271 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

oh yeh and these little buggars really put a spanner in the works.  

 

Owning customs and high end iems alike, sq differences are so freaking minute that it really puts it into perspective that a lot of folk are going to plump out 100-1000 dollars more for something that is so small a difference, I dont know, in my head this hobby is beginning to look more like a waste of time, money and energy.

Oh, don't be like that - all hobbies are expensive and are meant to waste your free time. Head-fi is certainly not even close to most hobbies in regard to the money wasted.

post #272 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

oh yeh and these little buggars really put a spanner in the works.  

 

Owning customs and high end iems alike, sq differences are so freaking minute that it really puts it into perspective that a lot of folk are going to plump out 100-1000 dollars more for something that is so small a difference, I dont know, in my head this hobby is beginning to look more like a waste of time, money and energy.

 

Well you can call me one waste of time, money and energy love fool.  I never thought this was even going to become a hobby let alone already have gone through about 30 IEM's in a year.

post #273 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Someone might beat me to it, but it will take me until Friday (probably) before I can do a proper A/B. What I can say is that the D80 has outstanding instrument separation. So does the the MH1C. The MH1C may have a bit better front to back stage depth than the D80, but don't quote me on that at this point. There seems to be more boomy base in the MH1c, but I'm expecting that to get better with more burn-in. The D80 can sound great with various tips, but I tried to tip roll the MH1C with little success. It seems like it's meant to use its stock tips to produce the best sound. 

The MH1C may also have more sparkle and splash in the highs (not by much). I hear the D80 as more balanced earphone than the MH1C. And let me make it clear the sound signatures of the two are totally different. I think vocals in the D80 may be bit more forward than the MH1C, but both are great in reproduction glorious details in the music in abundance. That's it for right now.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

You may as well do an A/B/C with the 70's as well :)

Thanks for the description, I second that with the 70 comparisons.  Now that I have the MH1C and find it a bit too bassy for prolonged listening, I'm looking into the 80's and 70's.  I can try out the 80's in a local shop but not 70's.

 

That being said, MH1C is definitely a keeper, I will play around with the eq to suit my own taste.

post #274 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stojstorm View Post

 

Thanks for the description, I second that with the 70 comparisons.  Now that I have the MH1C and find it a bit too bassy for prolonged listening, I'm looking into the 80's and 70's.  I can try out the 80's in a local shop but not 70's.

 

That being said, MH1C is definitely a keeper, I will play around with the eq to suit my own taste.

Well I can tell you that the D70 is more neutral than the D80. So you want less bass go with the D70 (still has great detail, clarity and transparency).

post #275 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I never thought this was even going to become a hobby let alone already have gone through about 30 IEM's in a year.

 

So that's what my future looks like lol!

post #276 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Well I can tell you that the D70 is more neutral than the D80. So you want less bass go with the D70 (still has great detail, clarity and transparency).

Wayne, i would gladly buy those 70's, so just pm. cool.gif
post #277 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Well I can tell you that the D70 is more neutral than the D80. So you want less bass go with the D70 (still has great detail, clarity and transparency).

 

if it's only detail and clarity, how would you rate them?  i read somewhere that d70 sounds more analytical than d80

i guess d70>d80>=mh1c?

post #278 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


Wayne, i would gladly buy those 70's, so just pm. cool.gif

 

You have been PM'd my friend!

post #279 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stojstorm View Post

 

if it's only detail and clarity, how would you rate them?  i read somewhere that d70 sounds more analytical than d80

i guess d70>d80>=mh1c?

 

 

It all depends on what's your favorite sound signature. They don't sound anything alike (talking about the three). I wouldn't call the D70 analytical IEM, but its signature pushes in that direction. The D80, on the other hand, has more 3-D imaging and space between instrument than the D70 (which is a close earphone, but the D80 is an open earphone). The D80 has more bass. The sound signature isn't neutral at all. The Mh1C has a great timbre that's different than the JVCs (I wouldn't say better or worse at this point). So right now the D80 and MH1C are close to being tied (with the D80 slightly ahead still). The D70 is second but not too far behind the other two. But my ratings are based strictly on sound preference, not that one is technically better than the other one at this point.

post #280 of 3320

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634136/the-king-of-value-sony-mh1c-impressions-appreciations-reviews-thread

 

perhaps?

post #281 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

 

 

It all depends on what's your favorite sound signature. They don't sound anything alike (talking about the three). I wouldn't call the D70 analytical IEM, but its signature pushes in that direction. The D80, on the other hand, has more 3-D imaging and space between instrument than the D70 (which is a close earphone, but the D80 is an open earphone). The D80 has more bass. The sound signature isn't neutral at all. The Mh1C has a great timbre that's different than the JVCs (I wouldn't say better or worse at this point). So right now the D80 and MH1C are close to being tied (with the D80 slightly ahead still). The D70 is second but not too far behind the other two. But my ratings are based strictly on sound preference, not that one is technically better than the other one at this point.

alright then, sounds like d70 is what i want to try

good that they all have different sound signatures so i can use them specifically for suitable genres of music

 

the fun of switching between several great bargains vs sticking with an expensive all-rounder ksc75smile.gif

post #282 of 3320

any update on the story behind these 

post #283 of 3320
post #284 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turgid View Post

any update on the story behind these 

Be patient wink.gif
post #285 of 3320

 

 

 

hey i actually like that! thank you.. will always remember you were one pointe'd' sister! biggrin.gif


Edited by ayaflo - 10/30/12 at 10:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret