or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 176

post #2626 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -sandro- View Post
 

I bought the $15 one as a backup, couldn't resist. Are you serious when you say the MH1 is different from the MH1C?

 

Yes they're different sonically and mechanically. MH1C has a little more bass and a little less treble than the MH1. 

I'd say the jury is still out on the sonic differences, and the batch variations overall suggest that it's really just down to that.

post #2627 of 3560

I have modified my MH1: pinhole @ bass port vent and foam damper @ strain relief opening.

Lesser bass quantity, much tighter mid bass, and clearer mids.

Still warmer than a neutral sound signature but significantly minimised bass bleed into the mids.

 

I'll post photos and instructions very soon...

post #2628 of 3560
^ Cool, looking forward to it.
post #2629 of 3560
That mod works well, but it's not a big change, fairly small
post #2630 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

That mod works well, but it's not a big change, fairly small

In terms of measurement, yes you're right.

But upon listening, getting rid of reducing that veil in the mids makes all difference that matters to me; and it doesn't sound small to me.


Edited by d marc0 - 11/21/13 at 2:13am
post #2631 of 3560
Quote:
There is still veil in my experience, small change, though it helps. I've heard all of Rin's mods and the fully modded one is the only one that truly rids of the veil and increases it's performance substantially.
Edited by Inks - 11/20/13 at 1:34pm
post #2632 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post


There is still veil in my experience, small change, though it helps. I've heard all of Rin's mods and the fully modded one is the only one that truly rids of the veil and increases it's performance substantially.

 

I can understand you stating that veil is still there.

 

My personal opinion on veil is it's only detrimental when certain details in the sound frequency are lost because of that "veil".

 

With the mod that I've done; the warmth is still there but it now floats on top of the lower mids. I can now hear the details that where lost before the mod and therefore I'm very happy with it.

post #2633 of 3560

Sony MH1/MH1c Vent Mods: Reduces bass quantity; tighter/punchier bass kicks; reduces veiling in the lower mids resulting to more detail.

 

I'd like to share the vent mod that I've done based on the modifications suggested by head-fier mods and also RinChoi's Blog.

So special thanks to everyone responsible for the various modifications for the MH1/c.

 

Materials:

  1. Band-Aid Clear (Plastic)
  2. Earbud Foam Cover

 

 

 

 

TOP VENT:

Cut a piece of plastic band-aid; enough size to securely cover and stick on top of the top vent. My reason for using Band-Aid is because of the small holes on them which will serve as your pin-hole vent. Notice in the photo below, the hole is aligned on top of the top vent. This is important because sealing the vent completely IMO eliminates reverb thus, making the bass kicks sound unnatural and plasticky.

 

 

 

STRAIN RELIEF OPENING

Cut 4 pieces of foam from earbud foam covers to serve as dampers on the strain relief openings. Feel free to choose other foam materials that you see fit for your mod. The size of the cut pieces is 4mm W x 5mm L. You can increase the length if you want more dampening.

 

 

Now insert the foam pieces in the strain reliefs. You'll need two on each side (front and back sides of the strain reliefs).

 

 

Here's a photo of the strain relief with dampening:

 

 

I highly recommend this mod to those who want something reversible and easy to do.

Happy listening to your MH1/c with vent mods! :beerchug: 

post #2634 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post


There is still veil in my experience, small change, though it helps. I've heard all of Rin's mods and the fully modded one is the only one that truly rids of the veil and increases it's performance substantially.

 

I can understand you stating that veil is still there.

 

My personal opinion on veil is it's only detrimental when certain details in the sound frequency are lost because of that "veil".

 

With the mod that I've done; the warmth is still there but it now floats on top of the lower mids. I can now hear the details that where lost before the mod and therefore I'm very happy with it.

 

I think the "veil" at this point becomes a question of your bass preference.  I prefer less bass as a reference, but I can listen to it without bass reduction and find it sounds excellent.  I think it comes down to whether you prefer the +6db bass rule or not.  With a slight mod this is very in-line with that rule.  Without the rule you might find them "veiled", but luckily the bass is boosted in a uniform way...

post #2635 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

I think the "veil" at this point becomes a question of your bass preference.  I prefer less bass as a reference, but I can listen to it without bass reduction and find it sounds excellent.  I think it comes down to whether you prefer the +6db bass rule or not.  With a slight mod this is very in-line with that rule.  Without the rule you might find them "veiled", but luckily the bass is boosted in a uniform way...

I totally agree...

In addition to that, the mod does improve detail in the lower mids which may sound "smothered" without the mod and depending on the song.

post #2636 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

I think the "veil" at this point becomes a question of your bass preference.  I prefer less bass as a reference, but I can listen to it without bass reduction and find it sounds excellent.  I think it comes down to whether you prefer the +6db bass rule or not.  With a slight mod this is very in-line with that rule.  Without the rule you might find them "veiled", but luckily the bass is boosted in a uniform way...

it still sounds great without the reduction but better with it, the mod suggested proves that. Now it was mentioned the "veil" is gone with the mod suggested, it isn't, it's still there, the only way to get rid of it is with Rin's more comprehensive mod, which keeps the boosted bass in the proper region but rids of the midbass masking. 

post #2637 of 3560

d Marc0 I expect similar mod for LG QB2 mid-bass veiling. 

post #2638 of 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
 

Sony MH1/MH1c Vent Mods: Reduces bass quantity; tighter/punchier bass kicks; reduces veiling in the lower mids resulting to more detail.

 

I'd like to share the vent mod that I've done based on the modifications suggested by head-fier mods and also RinChoi's Blog.

So special thanks to everyone responsible for the various modifications for the MH1/c.

 

Materials:

  1. Band-Aid Clear (Plastic)
  2. Earbud Foam Cover

 

 

 

 

TOP VENT:

Cut a piece of plastic band-aid; enough size to securely cover and stick on top of the top vent. My reason for using Band-Aid is because of the small holes on them which will serve as your pin-hole vent. Notice in the photo below, the hole is aligned on top of the top vent. This is important because sealing the vent completely IMO eliminates reverb thus, making the bass kicks sound unnatural and plasticky.

 

 

 

STRAIN RELIEF OPENING

Cut 4 pieces of foam from earbud foam covers to serve as dampers on the strain relief openings. Feel free to choose other foam materials that you see fit for your mod. The size of the cut pieces is 4mm W x 5mm L. You can increase the length if you want more dampening.

 

 

Now insert the foam pieces in the strain reliefs. You'll need two on each side (front and back sides of the strain reliefs).

 

 

Here's a photo of the strain relief with dampening:

 

 

I highly recommend this mod to those who want something reversible and easy to do.

Happy listening to your MH1/c with vent mods! :beerchug: 


^ Hmmm interesting mod ideas marc0 but does the strain relief dampening really change the sonics as well??? If so that is indeed interesting.

post #2639 of 3560

It does, he gets the idea from Rin. 

post #2640 of 3560
I shouldn't have stated it this way...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
 

In terms of measurement, yes you're right.

But upon listening, getting rid of that veil reducing that veil in the mids makes all difference that matters to me; and it doesn't sound small to me.

 

Just to make it clear...

My original claim did not suggest total veil removal.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post
 

I have modified my MH1: pinhole @ bass port vent and foam damper @ strain relief opening.

Lesser bass quantity, much tighter mid bass, and clearer mids.

Still warmer than a neutral sound signature but significantly minimised bass bleed into the mids.

 

I'll post photos and instructions very soon...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalper View Post
 

d Marc0 I expect similar mod for LG QB2 mid-bass veiling. 

 

I wouldn't bother even it was possible. The significant flaw in the QB2 is in the upper mids... :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret