Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret - Page 119

post #1771 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

MH1 is not the be-all-end-all for sure, not even in the sub-$100 category. But comparison between IEM that you have not listened yourself is not helpful to anyone, and could be downright harmful sometime IMO.

+1 never claimed that i have listened to them, but just saying that there are a lot of great sounding gear out there (of course that is from the impressions of others) for $100 or less. That is all i am saying. Just wanted to get this point across since listencarefully made such a bold statement regarding these MH1Cs.

post #1772 of 3238
Thread Starter 

I have the FXD80 btw, just haven't had the time to review it yet - excellent under $100. The new $99 HifiMan RE400 is also really good as well. Both of these are more than capable of standing up to MH1 and more.


Edited by ClieOS - 1/19/13 at 10:28pm
post #1773 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I have the HXD80 btw, just haven't had the time to review it yet - excellent under $100. The new $99 HifiMan RE400 is also really good as well. Both of these are more than capable of standing up to MH1 and more.

 

What is the HXD80??? Tried looking it up but got nothing. What brand is it?

post #1774 of 3238
Thread Starter 

Typo. Corrected.

post #1775 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

No logo but it should say SONY, does it?

Yah it does. Like I said, it's really a non question. The sound is too good to be a knock off. 

post #1776 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I have the FXD80 btw, just haven't had the time to review it yet - excellent under $100. The new $99 HifiMan RE400 is also really good as well. Both of these are more than capable of standing up to MH1 and more.

That sorta makes my point... I was  annoyed with people downplaying  the MH1 (in a backhanded way)  by saying "it was good for $20"  (as if it is nothing more than the best $20 earphone you can get). Challenging people to tell me an earphone under $100 that could compete was sort of arbitrary and, if there are $99 headphones that are better, big deal. It doesn't really change the tone of idiotic comments like "these are good (for $20 earphones)". They are MUCH MUCH better than that! mad.gif


Edited by listenCarefully - 1/19/13 at 11:00pm
post #1777 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenCarefully View Post

That sorta makes my point... I was  annoyed with people downplaying  the MH1 (in a backhanded way)  by saying "it was good for $20"  (as if it is nothing more than the best $20 earphone you can get). Challenging people to tell me an earphone under $100 that could compete was sort of arbitrary and, if there are $99 headphones that are better, big deal. It doesn't really change the tone of idiotic comments like "these are good (for $20 earphones)". They are MUCH MUCH better than that! mad.gif

Ouch... frown.gif
post #1778 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenCarefully View Post

That sorta makes my point... I was  annoyed with people downplaying  the MH1 (in a backhanded way)  by saying "it was good for $20"  (as if it is nothing more than the best $20 earphone you can get). Challenging people to tell me an earphone under $100 that could compete was sort of arbitrary and, if there are $99 headphones that are better, big deal. It doesn't really change the tone of idiotic comments like "these are good (for $20 earphones)". They are MUCH MUCH better than that! mad.gif


Preach on meng! That is why these are the only iems i am willing to trade for with my other cheapo iems, maybe for that TDK MT-300 as well, but i have yet to hear them. They are indeed great!................ for a $20 earphone that is. haha devil_face.gif Just trolling you of courseListening to the set i just traded for and am floored once again by it's amazing refined sound. beerchug.gif

post #1779 of 3238
.
Edited by Annafrancesca - 1/19/13 at 11:16pm
post #1780 of 3238

Actually, I don't really mean to preach... It's just that so much in the audio world is a BS con job that, when something comes along that gives an honest value and does the best possible job at that price point (without the primary intent being to separate you from as much money as possible),  I think people should be all over that. How many 14 year old kids walk around with crap Apple earbuds (that they've paid for) when they could have something really special for the same money. Another one is the AudioEngine 2's. Sure my Genelec desktop monitors blow them away (they're $800 pro mini-monitors) but there's NOTHING in the "audiophile" world that can touch those $200 AudioEngine wonders. If I had of known about these when I was a cash strapped student I could have improved the quality of my life significantly (instead of doing without). 


Edited by listenCarefully - 1/19/13 at 11:31pm
post #1781 of 3238

Ps. I should have mentioned that, what got me back into the market for an IEM was the practical need for something decent that had a mic/headset (which majority of offerings out there don't have). I've got a pair of Ety HF3's (that I just bought)  sitting right here and I don't even feel like listening to them. In fact the only reason I keep them is that I feel maximum isolation is often what is required and I intend to get custom molds made (and they remind me a little of my K701's in terms of neutrality). 


Edited by listenCarefully - 1/19/13 at 11:30pm
post #1782 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by listenCarefully View Post

Actually, I don't really mean to preach... It's just that so much in the audio world is a BS con job that, when something comes along that gives an honest value and does the best possible job at that price point (without the primary intent being to separate you from as much money as possible),  I think people should be all over that. How many 14 year old kids walk around with crap Apple earbuds (that they've paid for) when they could have something really special for the same money. Another one is the AudioEngine 2's. Sure my Genelec desktop monitors blow them away (they're $800 pro mini-monitors) but there's NOTHING in the "audiophile" world that can touch these $200 wonders. If I had of known about these when I was a cash strapped student I could have improved the quality of my life significantly (instead of doing without). 

Oh snap, those AE2s are my dream 2.0 setups when i found out about them like last year. Been using cheapo logitech speakers i have copped from my slickdealer days. Thanks for the rec/ kind words on these AE2s, now i like them even more, just too bad they are not 2.1s though. Cuz me loves my bass. :  (

 

The thing is most people don't really give a crap about sound quality tbhh. It's all about that Bling Bling "Swag" factor. Trendies/ hipsters just get headphones i.e. beats and other brandnames for brandname sake. There is nothing wrong with that, it's their money after all. It's about that "cool-ness" and i hate to admit it, if it wasn't for beats mainstreaming the coolness of headphones I probably wouldn't have paid this much attention to audio gear and got into this hobby. I didn't fall for that beats trap of course cuz i am a cheap@ss, i mean a slickdealer, but still things like beats is like a necessary evil sometimes. Oh what is my point agian, oh right these MH1C are great! LoL

post #1783 of 3238

@ elephantman a.k.a listenCarefully

 

You know what will makes these MH1Cs perfect, a re-cable. Have you done this to yours yet??? If so or if you know how please share.  This is the only missing piece of the puzzle for these great cheapos.

post #1784 of 3238

Dude, what you really should get hip to are professional Genelec active studio monitors. After being a musician for 15 years and then an audiophile for another 10,  I sort of became an expert on hi-end audio gear (not bragging, I simply learned a LOT). Anyway, I put together a system worth about $15,000-$20,000 which was EASILY in the same league as the average $50,000 system that a salesman in a hi end audio store could put together. THEN... I discovered pro audio (in particular the newest state of the art Genelec DSP active studio monitors and matching subs). For about $8000 I now have a system that, by a wide margin, smokes  my previous equipment (which was already a significant "bang for the buck"). In fact it will trounce ANY "audiophile" equipment under $100,000 (And that's not an idle boast. I've heard all the very best stuff (Mark Levninson, Krell, Sonus Faber, YBA, Sonic Frontiers,  Wilson, Thiel, Marin Logan etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)). There is now no question in my mind that...

the audiophile world is one HUGE ripoff. Image and flash and little to no substance (compared to what can be had if one educates themselves). 

 

BTW, analyzing the MH1s in terms of  "instrument separation", "top end extension" and the like does them an injustice. Selenium had the right idea when he hinted that the correct way to judge the MH1's was in terms of how SATISFYING they are. Never mind the academic comparisons to other stuff. It's all about musical SATISFACTION. 


Edited by listenCarefully - 1/20/13 at 1:34am
post #1785 of 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

... but still things like beats is like a necessary evil sometimes... LoL

Absolutely. Back in the 70's (OK now you knowrolleyes.gif) Bose speakers (which are just about the biggest pile of steaming turds you can get) got me into audio gear. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret