- 2,144 Posts. Joined 4/2012
- Location: Northern Virginia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- free gifts of RE600, HM700 and RE400 Last post on 4/27/14 at 3:34am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread Last post on 7/16/15 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are the best BT IEM under 50$? Last post on 2/1/15 at 6:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- My first set of Comply tips - wow! Last post on 1/2/15 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New Hifiman Flagship Custom IEM E1000 in collaboration with Unique Melody Last post on 12/31/14 at 10:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/30/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 5post #61 of 325512/1/12 at 10:45amThey are pretty bad on updating with head-fi in general LOL
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 325512/1/12 at 12:25pmpost #63 of 325512/1/12 at 4:20pmpost #64 of 325512/26/12 at 8:05am
I believe the official launch for both RE-400 and RE-600 is taking place at CES in Vegas next month. HiFiMAN was kind enough to send over a set of RE-400 for review and I just received it the other day. So far it's really impressive for a $99 product.
The build quality seems pretty good, especially at this price. The cable is extra nice, having a cloth sheathing from 1/4" jack to Y-splitter, and then being a thin rubber from there on up to the IEMs. The thin rubber at first seemed kind of cheap to me, but I quickly came to appreciate its flexibility. And it seems durable enough from my informal testing which consisted of tugging at it to see if it would cause problems. Obviously I need more time to see how it holds up.
Someone asked about these being ported, and I can confirm that they are. A small hole appears on the lower rear portion of the IEM housing. I still get fairly good isolation from them though. Speaking of isolation - I love these medium dual flange tips! These may be old news to other folks but this is my first time trying them and for my ears they fit very well, and allow for a quick insertion without hassle. The body of the IEM is such that it doesn't require much effort to adjust or angle properly - just jam it in there and I'm ready to go.
So, how about the sound? Well, at this point I don't have a lot of time on them, so I'll have more to say later. For now they seem relatively neutral with a slight warmth to the lows but still balanced overall, and they are definitely not super-bright which is something I had been worried about. I haven't heard a HiFiMAN IEM since back in the days of RE-0 and RE-ZERO so I'm probably not the best reference in that area. But I will say that these blow away all the sub-$100 models I've heard recently - and by a fairly large margin. Competition is incredibly strong these days, so we'll see how they compare to slightly more expensive stuff, but for now I find them very promising.post #65 of 325512/26/12 at 8:08ampost #66 of 325512/26/12 at 8:33ampost #67 of 325512/26/12 at 8:34ampost #68 of 325512/26/12 at 8:37am
I wouldn't really be qualified to review the RE-600 as most of my experience is with custom IEMs these days. So I don't have a good working knowledge of the various models which would be competing against the RE-600 in that price range.
For isolation, I have to use them more to try. I only had them in a somewhat quiet house and have not taken them "into the wild" so to speak.post #69 of 325512/26/12 at 9:02amThread Starterpost #70 of 325512/26/12 at 9:41amQuote:
I wish my RE0 still worked right now, I kind of wanted to compare the RE-400 to them... Oh well...post #71 of 325512/26/12 at 11:27am
Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm hoping the RE 400's sound like the 262's but have an easier fit. I am returning my 262's not because of the sound (they sound fantastic), but because their asymmetrical shape doesn't allow for a good fit. Also their newer bi-flange tips just don't fit my ears compared to the RE0's. Guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan for more info.post #72 of 325512/26/12 at 12:30pmpost #73 of 325512/26/12 at 12:51pmpost #74 of 325512/26/12 at 1:03pm
Really low quality photo, but it's below. I'm using the single flange tip the sample came with (has a single bar down the center like the Heir tips, but no colored core). Large dual flanges are also included (I don't have elephant ears though :p). I can get a seal with the medium dual flange, they actually sit deeper as well, but it compromises the highs :( The housings are actually very small; the pictures make them seem larger. The picture above that I took (in another post) shows them with small tips, not medium or large :p Below is a picture of them in my ear. Sorry about the noise, it's a webcam on my iPod :p The little circle is the IEM ;)
I'm still tip rolling at this point between the dual flange and single flanges it came with, trying a shallow fit with the the dual flange seems to allow the highs to go through better :) Additional bass response is also a good thing :) I think I'll stick to them for now.
Edited by tinyman392 - 12/26/12 at 1:06pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › [ FS ] Pathos Aurium 230V (pay in two installments) 39 seconds ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 48 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Why do we pay $300 for headphones that cost $30 to manufacture? 2 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual San Diego Head-Fi Meet: Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 3 minutes ago
- › WTS: Unique Melody Miracle CIEM & Beat Audio Silver Sonic Cable 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears - Introducing "ARTHUR" , [USA & Europe... 7 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone? 8 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...