- 916 Posts. Joined 4/2012
- Location: Northern Virginia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread Last post on 11/19/13 at 1:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Wanted Heir 8A Last post on 9/27/13 at 2:46pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- D5000 equivalent IEMs Last post on 11/7/12 at 5:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- B&W C5 Question and Recommended IEMS for Rock Last post on 11/8/12 at 4:22pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need help choosing an IEM Last post on 10/29/12 at 5:35pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 5post #61 of 207512/1/12 at 10:45amThey are pretty bad on updating with head-fi in general LOL
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 207512/1/12 at 12:25pmpost #63 of 207512/1/12 at 4:20pmpost #64 of 207512/26/12 at 8:05am
I believe the official launch for both RE-400 and RE-600 is taking place at CES in Vegas next month. HiFiMAN was kind enough to send over a set of RE-400 for review and I just received it the other day. So far it's really impressive for a $99 product.
The build quality seems pretty good, especially at this price. The cable is extra nice, having a cloth sheathing from 1/4" jack to Y-splitter, and then being a thin rubber from there on up to the IEMs. The thin rubber at first seemed kind of cheap to me, but I quickly came to appreciate its flexibility. And it seems durable enough from my informal testing which consisted of tugging at it to see if it would cause problems. Obviously I need more time to see how it holds up.
Someone asked about these being ported, and I can confirm that they are. A small hole appears on the lower rear portion of the IEM housing. I still get fairly good isolation from them though. Speaking of isolation - I love these medium dual flange tips! These may be old news to other folks but this is my first time trying them and for my ears they fit very well, and allow for a quick insertion without hassle. The body of the IEM is such that it doesn't require much effort to adjust or angle properly - just jam it in there and I'm ready to go.
So, how about the sound? Well, at this point I don't have a lot of time on them, so I'll have more to say later. For now they seem relatively neutral with a slight warmth to the lows but still balanced overall, and they are definitely not super-bright which is something I had been worried about. I haven't heard a HiFiMAN IEM since back in the days of RE-0 and RE-ZERO so I'm probably not the best reference in that area. But I will say that these blow away all the sub-$100 models I've heard recently - and by a fairly large margin. Competition is incredibly strong these days, so we'll see how they compare to slightly more expensive stuff, but for now I find them very promising.post #65 of 207512/26/12 at 8:08ampost #66 of 207512/26/12 at 8:33ampost #67 of 207512/26/12 at 8:34ampost #68 of 207512/26/12 at 8:37am
I wouldn't really be qualified to review the RE-600 as most of my experience is with custom IEMs these days. So I don't have a good working knowledge of the various models which would be competing against the RE-600 in that price range.
For isolation, I have to use them more to try. I only had them in a somewhat quiet house and have not taken them "into the wild" so to speak.post #69 of 207512/26/12 at 9:02amThread Starterpost #70 of 207512/26/12 at 9:41amQuote:
I wish my RE0 still worked right now, I kind of wanted to compare the RE-400 to them... Oh well...post #71 of 207512/26/12 at 11:27am
Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm hoping the RE 400's sound like the 262's but have an easier fit. I am returning my 262's not because of the sound (they sound fantastic), but because their asymmetrical shape doesn't allow for a good fit. Also their newer bi-flange tips just don't fit my ears compared to the RE0's. Guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan for more info.post #72 of 207512/26/12 at 12:30pmpost #73 of 207512/26/12 at 12:51pmpost #74 of 207512/26/12 at 1:03pm
Really low quality photo, but it's below. I'm using the single flange tip the sample came with (has a single bar down the center like the Heir tips, but no colored core). Large dual flanges are also included (I don't have elephant ears though :p). I can get a seal with the medium dual flange, they actually sit deeper as well, but it compromises the highs :( The housings are actually very small; the pictures make them seem larger. The picture above that I took (in another post) shows them with small tips, not medium or large :p Below is a picture of them in my ear. Sorry about the noise, it's a webcam on my iPod :p The little circle is the IEM ;)
I'm still tip rolling at this point between the dual flange and single flanges it came with, trying a shallow fit with the the dual flange seems to allow the highs to go through better :) Additional bass response is also a good thing :) I think I'll stick to them for now.
Edited by tinyman392 - 12/26/12 at 1:06pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › How to get uncompressed music onto an IPhone, IPod, or PC? 31 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica Announces SonicFuel Earbud/Canalphone Hybrids:... 1 minute ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 2 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 2 minutes ago
- › Upgrade from soundMAGIC E-30 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › December 2013 - Mook Headphone Festival Singapore 4 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe