- 1,491 Posts. Joined 4/2012
- Location: Northern Virginia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- free gifts of RE600, HM700 and RE400 Last post on 4/27/14 at 3:34am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread Last post on 5/27/14 at 11:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Most neutral(compensation accounted for) dynamic iems Last post on 6/29/14 at 11:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- LG Quadbeat 2 Appreciation Thread!! Last post on 7/1/14 at 11:05am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Wanted Heir 8A Last post on 9/27/13 at 2:46pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Disclosure: This review is based off a review unit of the retail version of the S5, provided by Brainwavz. This is my first in-depth encounter with a Brainwavz product, having only demoed previous...
I had high expectations of this based on so-called "professional reviews" listed on the iFi website & ones here. Particularly the one from the audiostream "Greatest bits"...
I don't constantly own a huge headphone inventory, in the past I had the Sennheiser Amperior + HD25, ATH-M50X, and currently have the V-MODA M100. Compared to those headphones the K267 is superior...
I got these phones as a gift, and I am quite happy with the sound quality and comfort. The noise cancelling is also quite good, and can completely eliminate certain frequencies of extraneous noise....
I will start by saying I went through 3 of these. All of which were under warranty, and I was by no means rough with them. The sound was nice, it had a decent bass compared to any of my other...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I believe the official launch for both RE-400 and RE-600 is taking place at CES in Vegas next month. HiFiMAN was kind enough to send over a set of RE-400 for review and I just received it the other day. So far it's really impressive for a $99 product.
The build quality seems pretty good, especially at this price. The cable is extra nice, having a cloth sheathing from 1/4" jack to Y-splitter, and then being a thin rubber from there on up to the IEMs. The thin rubber at first seemed kind of cheap to me, but I quickly came to appreciate its flexibility. And it seems durable enough from my informal testing which consisted of tugging at it to see if it would cause problems. Obviously I need more time to see how it holds up.
Someone asked about these being ported, and I can confirm that they are. A small hole appears on the lower rear portion of the IEM housing. I still get fairly good isolation from them though. Speaking of isolation - I love these medium dual flange tips! These may be old news to other folks but this is my first time trying them and for my ears they fit very well, and allow for a quick insertion without hassle. The body of the IEM is such that it doesn't require much effort to adjust or angle properly - just jam it in there and I'm ready to go.
So, how about the sound? Well, at this point I don't have a lot of time on them, so I'll have more to say later. For now they seem relatively neutral with a slight warmth to the lows but still balanced overall, and they are definitely not super-bright which is something I had been worried about. I haven't heard a HiFiMAN IEM since back in the days of RE-0 and RE-ZERO so I'm probably not the best reference in that area. But I will say that these blow away all the sub-$100 models I've heard recently - and by a fairly large margin. Competition is incredibly strong these days, so we'll see how they compare to slightly more expensive stuff, but for now I find them very promising.
I wouldn't really be qualified to review the RE-600 as most of my experience is with custom IEMs these days. So I don't have a good working knowledge of the various models which would be competing against the RE-600 in that price range.
For isolation, I have to use them more to try. I only had them in a somewhat quiet house and have not taken them "into the wild" so to speak.
I wish my RE0 still worked right now, I kind of wanted to compare the RE-400 to them... Oh well...
Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm hoping the RE 400's sound like the 262's but have an easier fit. I am returning my 262's not because of the sound (they sound fantastic), but because their asymmetrical shape doesn't allow for a good fit. Also their newer bi-flange tips just don't fit my ears compared to the RE0's. Guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan for more info.
Really low quality photo, but it's below. I'm using the single flange tip the sample came with (has a single bar down the center like the Heir tips, but no colored core). Large dual flanges are also included (I don't have elephant ears though :p). I can get a seal with the medium dual flange, they actually sit deeper as well, but it compromises the highs :( The housings are actually very small; the pictures make them seem larger. The picture above that I took (in another post) shows them with small tips, not medium or large :p Below is a picture of them in my ear. Sorry about the noise, it's a webcam on my iPod :p The little circle is the IEM ;)
I'm still tip rolling at this point between the dual flange and single flanges it came with, trying a shallow fit with the the dual flange seems to allow the highs to go through better :) Additional bass response is also a good thing :) I think I'll stick to them for now.
Edited by tinyman392 - 12/26/12 at 1:06pm
- Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 11 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Conflicting information on Cables and other audiophile components. 48 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Upgrade from Shure SRH840 3 minutes ago
- › dt990 DACs and amps and tubes and usb and omg brain melt 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by tomscy2000
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by DallasDanielle
- › AudioQuest Carbon USB Digital Audio Cable 1.5m by Maxx134
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kwilt
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)