- 1,118 Posts. Joined 4/2012
- Location: Northern Virginia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- free gifts of RE600, HM700 and RE400 Last post on Yesterday at 10:17 pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/26/14 at 5:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- LG Quadbeat 2 Appreciation Thread!! Last post on 4/1/14 at 4:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Wanted Heir 8A Last post on 9/27/13 at 2:46pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- D5000 equivalent IEMs Last post on 11/7/12 at 5:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
The Sennheiser HD280 that I'm reviewing do not belong to me, they're presumably a couple years old (I didn't ask) and in good condition aside from a couple scratches on the earcups. I was curious...
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 5post #61 of 220812/1/12 at 10:45amThey are pretty bad on updating with head-fi in general LOL
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 220812/1/12 at 12:25pmpost #63 of 220812/1/12 at 4:20pmpost #64 of 220812/26/12 at 8:05am
I believe the official launch for both RE-400 and RE-600 is taking place at CES in Vegas next month. HiFiMAN was kind enough to send over a set of RE-400 for review and I just received it the other day. So far it's really impressive for a $99 product.
The build quality seems pretty good, especially at this price. The cable is extra nice, having a cloth sheathing from 1/4" jack to Y-splitter, and then being a thin rubber from there on up to the IEMs. The thin rubber at first seemed kind of cheap to me, but I quickly came to appreciate its flexibility. And it seems durable enough from my informal testing which consisted of tugging at it to see if it would cause problems. Obviously I need more time to see how it holds up.
Someone asked about these being ported, and I can confirm that they are. A small hole appears on the lower rear portion of the IEM housing. I still get fairly good isolation from them though. Speaking of isolation - I love these medium dual flange tips! These may be old news to other folks but this is my first time trying them and for my ears they fit very well, and allow for a quick insertion without hassle. The body of the IEM is such that it doesn't require much effort to adjust or angle properly - just jam it in there and I'm ready to go.
So, how about the sound? Well, at this point I don't have a lot of time on them, so I'll have more to say later. For now they seem relatively neutral with a slight warmth to the lows but still balanced overall, and they are definitely not super-bright which is something I had been worried about. I haven't heard a HiFiMAN IEM since back in the days of RE-0 and RE-ZERO so I'm probably not the best reference in that area. But I will say that these blow away all the sub-$100 models I've heard recently - and by a fairly large margin. Competition is incredibly strong these days, so we'll see how they compare to slightly more expensive stuff, but for now I find them very promising.post #65 of 220812/26/12 at 8:08ampost #66 of 220812/26/12 at 8:33ampost #67 of 220812/26/12 at 8:34ampost #68 of 220812/26/12 at 8:37am
I wouldn't really be qualified to review the RE-600 as most of my experience is with custom IEMs these days. So I don't have a good working knowledge of the various models which would be competing against the RE-600 in that price range.
For isolation, I have to use them more to try. I only had them in a somewhat quiet house and have not taken them "into the wild" so to speak.post #69 of 220812/26/12 at 9:02amThread Starterpost #70 of 220812/26/12 at 9:41amQuote:
I wish my RE0 still worked right now, I kind of wanted to compare the RE-400 to them... Oh well...post #71 of 220812/26/12 at 11:27am
Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm hoping the RE 400's sound like the 262's but have an easier fit. I am returning my 262's not because of the sound (they sound fantastic), but because their asymmetrical shape doesn't allow for a good fit. Also their newer bi-flange tips just don't fit my ears compared to the RE0's. Guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan for more info.post #72 of 220812/26/12 at 12:30pmpost #73 of 220812/26/12 at 12:51pmpost #74 of 220812/26/12 at 1:03pm
Really low quality photo, but it's below. I'm using the single flange tip the sample came with (has a single bar down the center like the Heir tips, but no colored core). Large dual flanges are also included (I don't have elephant ears though :p). I can get a seal with the medium dual flange, they actually sit deeper as well, but it compromises the highs :( The housings are actually very small; the pictures make them seem larger. The picture above that I took (in another post) shows them with small tips, not medium or large :p Below is a picture of them in my ear. Sorry about the noise, it's a webcam on my iPod :p The little circle is the IEM ;)
I'm still tip rolling at this point between the dual flange and single flanges it came with, trying a shallow fit with the the dual flange seems to allow the highs to go through better :) Additional bass response is also a good thing :) I think I'll stick to them for now.
Edited by tinyman392 - 12/26/12 at 1:06pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 16 seconds ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 30 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 42 seconds ago
- › M-Audio HDH 50 / AKAI AP-HPH-002 59 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 2 minutes ago
- › Over ear headphone broke and need recommendations for a new one 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 6 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 7 minutes ago
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob