- 2,051 Posts. Joined 4/2012
- Location: Northern Virginia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- free gifts of RE600, HM700 and RE400 Last post on 4/27/14 at 3:34am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread Last post on 7/16/15 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are the best BT IEM under 50$? Last post on 2/1/15 at 6:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- My first set of Comply tips - wow! Last post on 1/2/15 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- New Hifiman Flagship Custom IEM E1000 in collaboration with Unique Melody Last post on 12/31/14 at 10:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/30/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So like many I'm not exactly into a super flat sound signature. I like some bass at times, actually pretty much all the time. I own flat headphones and I've heard many of the best flat headphones...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 5post #61 of 315212/1/12 at 10:45amThey are pretty bad on updating with head-fi in general LOL
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 315212/1/12 at 12:25pmpost #63 of 315212/1/12 at 4:20pmpost #64 of 315212/26/12 at 8:05am
I believe the official launch for both RE-400 and RE-600 is taking place at CES in Vegas next month. HiFiMAN was kind enough to send over a set of RE-400 for review and I just received it the other day. So far it's really impressive for a $99 product.
The build quality seems pretty good, especially at this price. The cable is extra nice, having a cloth sheathing from 1/4" jack to Y-splitter, and then being a thin rubber from there on up to the IEMs. The thin rubber at first seemed kind of cheap to me, but I quickly came to appreciate its flexibility. And it seems durable enough from my informal testing which consisted of tugging at it to see if it would cause problems. Obviously I need more time to see how it holds up.
Someone asked about these being ported, and I can confirm that they are. A small hole appears on the lower rear portion of the IEM housing. I still get fairly good isolation from them though. Speaking of isolation - I love these medium dual flange tips! These may be old news to other folks but this is my first time trying them and for my ears they fit very well, and allow for a quick insertion without hassle. The body of the IEM is such that it doesn't require much effort to adjust or angle properly - just jam it in there and I'm ready to go.
So, how about the sound? Well, at this point I don't have a lot of time on them, so I'll have more to say later. For now they seem relatively neutral with a slight warmth to the lows but still balanced overall, and they are definitely not super-bright which is something I had been worried about. I haven't heard a HiFiMAN IEM since back in the days of RE-0 and RE-ZERO so I'm probably not the best reference in that area. But I will say that these blow away all the sub-$100 models I've heard recently - and by a fairly large margin. Competition is incredibly strong these days, so we'll see how they compare to slightly more expensive stuff, but for now I find them very promising.post #65 of 315212/26/12 at 8:08ampost #66 of 315212/26/12 at 8:33ampost #67 of 315212/26/12 at 8:34ampost #68 of 315212/26/12 at 8:37am
I wouldn't really be qualified to review the RE-600 as most of my experience is with custom IEMs these days. So I don't have a good working knowledge of the various models which would be competing against the RE-600 in that price range.
For isolation, I have to use them more to try. I only had them in a somewhat quiet house and have not taken them "into the wild" so to speak.post #69 of 315212/26/12 at 9:02amThread Starterpost #70 of 315212/26/12 at 9:41amQuote:
I wish my RE0 still worked right now, I kind of wanted to compare the RE-400 to them... Oh well...post #71 of 315212/26/12 at 11:27am
Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm hoping the RE 400's sound like the 262's but have an easier fit. I am returning my 262's not because of the sound (they sound fantastic), but because their asymmetrical shape doesn't allow for a good fit. Also their newer bi-flange tips just don't fit my ears compared to the RE0's. Guess we'll have to wait until mid-Jan for more info.post #72 of 315212/26/12 at 12:30pmpost #73 of 315212/26/12 at 12:51pmpost #74 of 315212/26/12 at 1:03pm
Really low quality photo, but it's below. I'm using the single flange tip the sample came with (has a single bar down the center like the Heir tips, but no colored core). Large dual flanges are also included (I don't have elephant ears though :p). I can get a seal with the medium dual flange, they actually sit deeper as well, but it compromises the highs :( The housings are actually very small; the pictures make them seem larger. The picture above that I took (in another post) shows them with small tips, not medium or large :p Below is a picture of them in my ear. Sorry about the noise, it's a webcam on my iPod :p The little circle is the IEM ;)
I'm still tip rolling at this point between the dual flange and single flanges it came with, trying a shallow fit with the the dual flange seems to allow the highs to go through better :) Additional bass response is also a good thing :) I think I'll stick to them for now.
Edited by tinyman392 - 12/26/12 at 1:06pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 2 minutes ago
- › Why would 24 bit / 192 khz flac sound any better than 16 bit / 44.1... 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 3 minutes ago
- › GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 6 minutes ago
- › IMac vs Macbook(air/pro) for source 6 minutes ago
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...