Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 - Page 145

post #2161 of 2480

Hehe so true. So far I have gone through - 2x HE-6, HE-5LE, HE-500, RE-600, and RE-400. I have kept all of them except for the 5LE and RE-400.

:L3000: 

post #2162 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Hehe so true. So far I have gone through - 2x HE-6, HE-5LE, HE-500, RE-600, and RE-400. I have kept all of them except for the 5LE and RE-400.

:L3000: 

 

how does the re-600 sound next to the re400 ? i wanna try it , but it is out of my budget limits atm

post #2163 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post
 

 

how does the re-600 sound next to the re400 ? i wanna try it , but it is out of my budget limits atm

 

I'm not sure if you were asking him directly.  Many people have done this comparison already, I think everyone who has an RE-400 has a 600 as well, or at least the majority do XD 

 

The 600 and 400 are very similar, which is why the 600 got a lot of fire for being 4x the cost.  What the 600 offers is a slightly lusher midrange that still offers the detailing and clarity of the 400 while the low-end is more linear with better extension, in a way or two, it's a little more accurate.  The treble does take a trade off though.  The 600 offers a more linear treble that is less fatiguing and edgy while maintaining good detailing and separation.  However, it takes some quantity and presence with it in contrast to the RE-400. 

post #2164 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

I'm not sure if you were asking him directly.  Many people have done this comparison already, I think everyone who has an RE-400 has a 600 as well, or at least the majority do XD 

 

The 600 and 400 are very similar, which is why the 600 got a lot of fire for being 4x the cost.  What the 600 offers is a slightly lusher midrange that still offers the detailing and clarity of the 400 while the low-end is more linear with better extension, in a way or two, it's a little more accurate.  The treble does take a trade off though.  The 600 offers a more linear treble that is less fatiguing and edgy while maintaining good detailing and separation.  However, it takes some quantity and presence with it in contrast to the RE-400. 

This sums it up pretty well. If you're after a warm, clear and 3D sound signature then look no further than the RE-600. I think the RE-400 is a loss leader for HifiMan to get his name and products more mainstream.

post #2165 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post
 

 

how does the re-600 sound next to the re400 ? i wanna try it , but it is out of my budget limits atm

Except the lush mid on Re600, in my opinion the Re600 is far better than Re400. I dont know how to describe it, Re400 give u something like a flat paper but Re600 make everything in that paper become 3d, the instrument, the voice u can feel it around u more lively

post #2166 of 2480

+1. but somtimes the re400 sounds more airy than the re600. pin Point Imaging goes for the latter, but in terms of spaciousness the re400 wins in my books.

post #2167 of 2480

I love their gear, I have 252,262, 272, RE400......But darn those crappy cables......I don't understand how a company like this that consistently puts out great quality iem's can so consistently put out poor quality cables?

That is my only gripe...Once they finally fix this then.....Well the sky's the limit. Sorry for the rant...

post #2168 of 2480

Well the fact you could not get a decent fit is why you couldn't enjoy these. I found the supplied tips were also not to my liking, then I tried the L Sony hybrids which opened up the sound pallet for me.

I find the Re400's great value. 

post #2169 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post
 

+1. but somtimes the re400 sounds more airy than the re600. pin Point Imaging goes for the latter, but in terms of spaciousness the re400 wins in my books.

This is the impression I got between the two...each has it's own merits IMO.

post #2170 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

This is the impression I got between the two...each has it's own merits IMO.
well worth to keep both! have to try their fullsize now, interested in the he500 and how it compares to shure srh1840.
post #2171 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermunch View Post

I agree with Proedros. Hifiman - throw those RE-400s and RE-600s off a bridge and get back to making 262s and 272s in massive quantities, load up a convoy of helicopters and drop them all over the planet. This is your duty.

 

LoL Re600 is my best IEM ever. Now i wait something new from hifiman somthing like Re1000 :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: 

post #2172 of 2480

About impedance: RE's are really flat in impedance, so even high impedance output should be fine. They don't need much current either.

Also quite sensitive, but not to the ridiculous BA levels. About anything that can drive typical headphones can definitely drive both RE-400 and RE-600.

 

RE-600 is actually better than RE-400 sonically... darker but much smoother FR. Still, a similar mod should work beautifully with them. I think the front filter is a bad design choice - it reduces detailing while not helping FR any over damping behind the driver.

 

 

The cable is terrible junk though - yesterday (about a week or two in) the balanced to unbalanced attachment broke near the plug. Good that it's not the whole IEM cable or that'd be a return. That cable is just way too supple and gets kinked too easily.


Edited by AstralStorm - 2/13/14 at 1:21pm
post #2173 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post
 

About impedance: RE's are really flat in impedance, so even high impedance output should be fine. They don't need much current either.

Also quite sensitive, but not to the ridiculous BA levels. About anything that can drive typical headphones can definitely drive both RE-400 and RE-600.

 

RE-600 is actually better than RE-400 sonically... darker but much smoother FR. Still, a similar mod should work beautifully with them. I think the front filter is a bad design choice - it reduces detailing while not helping FR any over damping behind the driver.

 

 

The cable is terrible junk though - yesterday (about a week or two in) the balanced to unbalanced attachment broke near the plug. Good that it's not the whole IEM cable or that'd be a return. That cable is just way too supple and gets kinked too easily.

 

sorry  i wouldn't even call that supple (at least i'm assuming its the same as the top half of the re400)

 

that cable needs to go seriously, the cable on the jvcs fxd 80 cost probably cost same but are far more durable and would really solidify the re400 (as if its not already) in the under $100 Must buys for any audio gear (not just iems)

 

even the right angle jack is enough (re400 overbuilt the jack and the connection to the rest of the cable looks not well relieved)

 

tbh i don't like the re400 cable much more than the sony ex10 (the $10 sony earphones)

post #2174 of 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

sorry  i wouldn't even call that supple (at least i'm assuming its the same as the top half of the re400)

 

that cable needs to go seriously, the cable on the jvcs fxd 80 cost probably cost same but are far more durable and would really solidify the re400 (as if its not already) in the under $100 Must buys for any audio gear (not just iems)

 

even the right angle jack is enough (re400 overbuilt the jack and the connection to the rest of the cable looks not well relieved)

 

tbh i don't like the re400 cable much more than the sony ex10 (the $10 sony earphones)

They kind of fixed the strain relief on the new gen of re400. It's not stiff at all and I think it's more angled. However, the strain relief that goes into the iem itself isn't very inspiring. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it though

post #2175 of 2480

I just receive my replacement RE-400 due to soft jack. Unlike many people here and FS threads, I receive the IEM only, no box, no accessories, etc. I am not particular about this, but the plugs came with it don't fit my ears, so I requested if they can send me some additional ear plugs. Comes tic wise, I dint see any differences.

However, using my memory to compare between the replacement and my old RE-400, the sound signature changes a lot! The new one is less bassy, more controlled bass, and brighter treble; a more neutral sound signature overall. I am very happy about this change. Best $100 I have ever spent for audio equipment, great  product and customer service. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600