Just curious if they do or if the only way to get good sound out of them is modding them. What are the major differences after modding them?
Related Forum Threads
- I need some help recognizing some headphones from a video! Last post on 2/12/15 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a closed headphone for rock\blues around ~$200 Last post on 2/4/15 at 12:09am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Mad Dog + Leather Dog Pads + Comfort Strap (MD003) Last post on 1/28/15 at 9:25am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I've been away for a while ... closed-back HD600/HD650 soundalikes? Last post on 1/16/15 at 11:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- need help selecting new cans Last post on 12/27/14 at 5:32am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
Does the T50rp sound good unmodded?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
for me it was a total transformation. Everything gets way better. Vocal clarity is outstanding. These are incredibly non-fatiguing after mod. Stock is just very dark, veiled, and muddy. Best part is they are easy to mod, just need some patience.
what would you say causes them to sound like that prior to modding? poorly damped enclosures? just curious.
The plastic can housing has a horrible resonance. If it wasn't for the ortho drivers and the ability to mod them, they would've died a quick death long ago.
I've had my T50RP for 4 days now and I think the sound is fantastic out of box. I dont seem to notice any resonance or reverberation in the plastic housing. The sound is very natural, detailed with lots of body. The sound is very smooth and it's very easy to pick out individual instruments even in complex piece of music. I do notice a slight dip in the midrange compared to my K240DF, another very detailed and neutral headphone. I am running them off my BCL fead by a Halide DAC HD, and it all sounds wonderful. I'm interested in upgrading the stock earpads to something more comfortable otherwise I'm very satisfied with the sound of T50RP.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Modded properly, the T50RP is a wonderful can, but out of the box it is very colored sounding and resonates like crazy. The newer ones seem slightly better than older ones in this regard, but they really benefit from damping. They also do not have much low or high end extension out of the box at all - that is what takes the real work as a modder -to get both at once!
I went to Demo the stock T50RP (unamped) and the quality was decent. Most of the owners agree that it sounds like a new beast when modded, like a headphone 3x its value
Edited by jackwess - 3/19/13 at 5:37pm
I feel compelled to clarify I at least didn't mean to imply 'stock' sounded superior to mod'ed. Only I thought it was better than I was led to believe and didn't feel it's wasted money until mod'ed. I also later realized I always use +2 or +4 bass and/or treble (depending on what the program material warranted ) from my FiiO DAC/Amp, so that surely factors in to 'sweetening-up' and affecting their 'stock' sound.
I auditioned the Mad Dogs @ the NYC Audio Show today, and ended-up buying yet another $300 headphone! Jackwess hit the nail on the head w/that one [mention of 3x] as I paid $100 for my stock set.
Edited by m8o - 4/13/13 at 7:59pm
I'd like to revise my statements... I just blew the dust off my Little Dot III+ amp; rated at 3.5w @ 8 ohms [has speaker terminals] and 1w @ 120 ohms; so capable of around 2w @ 50 ohms of the MD. And I must say I had no clue what the MadDogs were capable of before! And when I plugged the stock T50rp I have into it after listening to something with the MadDogs the comparison was comical; yes, I sure hear the resonance everyone was mentioning. When driven at 100 milli-watts and tone control used to boost both treble and bass I thought stock was 'ok'. And at 100mw, it sorta is in that manner. But if you crank-up the power and give a watt or two, yep, stock is unbearable..
- Does the T50rp sound good unmodded?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 1 minute ago
- › [Poor Man Reviews] Audio Technica ATH-IM02 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Luxury & Precision L5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player with... 5 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 6 minutes ago
- › Analogsurviver cage match! 7 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2