I am starting to think that I don't exactly have golden ears here...I prefer my transportable rig to my main one. Really, I listen to my transportable a lot more simply because I can carry it around the house, but now I just A/Bed the two systems and plugged both headphones into the HE6 and I still prefer the transportable. I can probably mark this one up to personal tastes but it still surprises me a bit. Anybody think something is out of place here? Maybe I should try this again when I am sober? In any case rocking out the later wins.
- productALO Audio 'The Continental' Mobile Vacuum Tube Amplifiertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 11/12/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 11/12/12
- productHiFiMAN EF-6 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 11/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need advice from someone who has heard LCD-2, HE6, and HE500(I own 2/3) Last post on 7/7/12 at 8:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for "best" portable amp for Audeze LCD-2 Last post on 8/30/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- need help choosing future high end gear Last post on 2/26/14 at 8:28am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I don't know which forum to post this, so here goes..... Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:33am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 7/10/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Before I get started, I’d like to thank the team at Audiofly and Billy from Noisy Motel for making this tour possible. I know that the AF140s have received some criticism so far which is always a...
Disclaimer: I received my R3s for free under the condition I would write a review for them. Purchase price reflects their going rate on a popular online retailer at the time of the review. The...
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
Am I crazy? EEMinimax/EF6/HE6 vs CLAS/ALO Continental/LCD2r1...the second is my favorite.post #1 of 410/20/12 at 3:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 410/20/12 at 4:40pm
Put a 2 after the r and you've got my portable rig configuration, altho I prefer my T5p for that, since they're much easier to drive.
The LCD-2 cans really sparkle tho in my Audio Note Kit 2.1 sig tube DAC and Cavalli LF amp home rig. The only upgrade I'm contemplating there is to replace the ANK DAC line out caps with IE core transformers and tubes.post #3 of 410/20/12 at 5:24pmThread Starter
I still want to try a revision 2 at some point but at this point the journey has gone strange so I am holding back. I know I prefer a natural sound signature but that is about it, it is very tempting to sell off some high end gear, bane myself from the forum and call it good.post #4 of 410/22/12 at 7:15am
Well, kudos to you if you can avoid the virulent "upgraditis" that sweeps though these forums. It really comes down to what you want out of your music, and at what level of reproduction are you satisfactorily engaged. And what you're experiencing may be just the synergy of the audio pathway components to produce a a sonic signature that you prefer.
But the HE-6 is notoriously hard to drive to properly blossom, as you know, and there are some who say that the even the EF-6 is not sufficient. How do your LCD-2s sound with the EF-6?
I do understand your point, however, and perhaps someone more grounded technically might point you toward ways to further optimize your particular home rig setup to enhance your musical enjoyment. I heard distinct improvements in mine when I stabilized my components platform and rolled in some NOS tubes. Cables are another low hanging fruit, but the sonic improvement may not be so immediate.
One thing I do know is that you can discriminate more than you think you can going in, even for old relics like myself. And that's actually what drives this audiphile avocation.
- Am I crazy? EEMinimax/EF6/HE6 vs CLAS/ALO Continental/LCD2r1...the second is my favorite.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › MHDT Havana DAC 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grado SR80e vs Beyerdynamic dt880 4 minutes ago
- › Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. 4 minutes ago
- › Do hard drives sound different? 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)