Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on 3/30/17 at 7:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable dac/amp or just amp for IEM's? Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HiFiMOD Atelier New Portable Head-Amp Nerv Plus and Exclusive Look of Flagship Portable Head-amp Last post on 11/28/15 at 4:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Another Kickstarter: UAMP Last post on 3/6/15 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 Last post on 4/11/17 at 9:05am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 230
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
i am more than happy with my TU-05 but never had the chance to listen tu the tu-06. But bmichels has a TU-05 and has ordered a TU-06 if i remember correctly, don't know if he already has received or when he receives his new amp.
Edited by GermanGuy - 6/5/14 at 4:14pm
it's really getting quiet here, so here is a short status update:
The modders diary part 04 (highend version):
after having bought the final case for the power supply (and the amp if there is enough space left) it is much easier to design and build the different components of my highend tu-05 mod because now i can directly test and see how they fit and which sizes to keep in mind.
as first step i have totally redesigned the power supply boards layout, now the size is exactly fitting, but also the design is much more compact and also technically improved, build on HF FR4 Epoxy Resin Prototyping boards with additional ground / shielding plane and better ripple / noise filters:
top view (shaped shielding layer and power supply - 2x 7 volt version):
Edited by GermanGuy - 6/5/14 at 2:04pm
My TU-06 is expected for September... :-(
to be honest, i need eight of them plus two additional ones as power supply for all the relais switches and USB. to have a real ground star topology, each filament / heater will have its own complete power supply, Li-Ion batteries and filters, the power supply supports up to four tubes per channel, stereo, which means two times two 2x7 volt power supplies = 4 double 7 volt power supplies for the eight Li-Ion battery packs (3.7 volt, 10.4 ampere * h) to generate the final 1.4 volt filament voltages. i use 18 volt power supplies here to have the option to build more modular, cascadable anode voltage power supplies because 18 volt can be used to charge 4 Li-Ion cells with a 4S balancer board, so with n of this modules a n x (4 battery cells = 14.8 volt) anode voltage power supply can be implemented.
For the anode voltages (double mono) i need two times two 2x18 volt power supplies (4x18 = 72 volt) to generate the 67.2 volt 400mA contant current / voltage to charge the two time 16 Li-Ion battery packs using two 16S Li-Ion balancer boards for the final anode voltages (2x 59.2 volt 2.6 ampere * h). Okay, only double mono, a separate anode voltage support with own batteries would simply have been a nightmare to build, but the 2 x 4 anode voltages will all have a separate filter stage and option for a voltage regulator.
The two additional power supplies (also with Li-Ion battery packs) will be provided to have additional 5 volt for USB support and USB charging and 5v for all the relais per channel, because there will be no direct switches with long wires and signal or power, all functions (power on/off, input selection, impedance and output selection) will be provided by bistable power/signal relais. This power supplies are the only (two) ones with an additional dedicated power on/off switch to power up the amp even when the relais batteries are empty (which means no battery power for the relais so otherwise no chance to switch the power supplies on and charging).
one design goal was / is not to use any dc/dc step up or step down converter to avoid the ripple / noise produced by them (500KHz switching frequency).
finally there will be two 100 watt isolation transformers (one per channel) to avoid any ground / earth loop over the primary 220 volt power lines.
the capacity of the different battery packs is calculated to have a mean battery run time of about 80 to 100 hours.
the bias voltage supplies will be placed directly on the tube amplifier boards, but full adjustable.
the overall weight of the amp will be around 45-50 kilos, so only transportable :-)
Edited by GermanGuy - 6/6/14 at 3:03am
This project is turning into a monster :)
Is the intention to be able to connect the regular TU-05 to this base for powering speakers or will this run independently?
Well if you can manage to fit those x2 rack server cases into one of those professional travel suitcases that pilots use with telescopic handle and wheels the sky is the limit.
80hs playback time would allow for at least one round-the-world trip......maybe it could be called the TU-05 Weltweit??
Edited by bonitomio - 6/6/14 at 5:26am
there were mainly three reasons for this effort:
- i designed the amp to be fully battery powered to avoid any hum / noise / ripple from power supplies or dc/dc converters
- to listen to the amp WHILE charging all the power supplies are needed if you want to have the ground star topology also while charging.
- the 18650 Li-Ion batteries are the cheepest type you can get but due to the capacity the resulting runtime is long and or better but to charge them you need big enough power supplies if you don't want to wait 40 hours until amp is fully charged.
the intention is to have an universal base and power supply with double mono / ground star topology for up to four tubes per channel to power any (and then to build) tube amp based on the DF / DL tube range including the DL93 .. DL96.
the power supply will provide
- 2x4 filament constant current / 1.4 volt sources (25mA, 50mA, 100mA, 200 mA)
- 2x4 anode voltages double mono up to 67.2 volt / 1x8 anode voltages shared ground up to 134.4 volt
- 2x1 USB 5 volt
- 2x1 Internal 5 volt power for relais /LEDs ...
- the small bias voltage modules will provide adjustable bias voltage from 0 to 9 volt (on the tube amp board)
using the DL93 (two or three in parallel per channel) ouput power should be enough (about 1 Watt per channel) to drive a high efficient loudspeaker.
Edited by GermanGuy - 6/6/14 at 8:12am
Thank you. I ordered the tu-05. I like, that it is pure tube design, Class A and Set. However if I like it, I might order a tu-06 as well.
By the way, I followed your posts with great interest. You seem to be quite proficient in building diy amplifier.
Thanks a lot for your statement, at least i hope i am. it's my very first diy project.
Edited by GermanGuy - 6/7/14 at 12:43pm
- Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 3 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › IC : Grado HP1000 3 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?! 3 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear