Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 208

post #3106 of 3712

The Calyx M will fit perfectly attached to my TU-05 tube amp :-)   Perfect size !

 

It will favorably replace in this "source" role my RWAK100, and the system will still fit inside my transportable Audio case (Calyx + TU-05 + TH-900 + Chargers/cables)..   

 

Let's just hope that the famous Line-Out is really really "clean"  :D

 

 

 

 


Edited by bmichels - 2/6/14 at 2:23am
post #3107 of 3712

Question:  has someone already tested the new Transformers that SquarePaper propose as an "upgrade" option ? 

 

I am thinking buying 2 of them and installing them myself.  But is it worth the effort in term of SQ ?   GermanGuy ?

 

*

 

Above the new one ( OUT-41-357S ) , and bellow  the stock  OUT-41-357 in my TU-05.

 

post #3108 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Meanwhile, I'm finding the NEC 1T4SF's I got to be quite noisy on the TUR-06. I'm using rather sensitive IEMs but I can hear distortion and what sounds like the caps charging up. It settles for awhile but then comes back again when the source inputs back into the amp. Will try switching back to the Sylvanias or try the Telefunkens. Sadly I'm still on a single Fujitsu Ten 1T4SF and can't find a matching pair.

I have had that with some tubes Sean. It sounds to me like a bad tube or tubes. I found burn in did not sort it out. This unfortunately is the crap shoot that is NOS vintage tubes. Those Tele's I purchased a few weeks ago are quiet as the grave and to be highly recommended in terms of deeper bass extension and top end air. Oh, and the mids!
I think once the headphone festival is over this month Shikada San will be shipping the pair of 3S4 "Tens" to me. I cannot wait to hear what they sound like!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthefirst View Post

My TUR-06 is still equipped with standard sylvania from Shikada san. Try to switch to those Brimar with stamp for quite a few hours and then switch back. Those Brimars are very sensitive to vibration and interference.

I agree with this. They are very sensitive to vibration and need good isolation, they are wonderful tubes but if the amp is truly going to be portable they would not be my first choice.

I have been using for the past couple of weeks the Telefunken DF96's in conjunction with the Mullard DL92's I am finding this combination to be my favourite so far. It has the creamy warmth and mid's we love about tubes but with the added bonuses of better bass extension and top end sparkly. It is so odd as well considering the warmth that this combination is probably the most transparent and revealing of all the combo's I have found to date!

My advice with Telefunkens is make sure of the diamond base, make sure of Berlin manufacture. These are so completely different to the other Tele's I have purchased and with these I can see what all the fuss is about.

Something tells me they would be great synergy for the 06!
post #3109 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Question:  has someone already tested the new Transformers that SquarePaper propose as an "upgrade" option ? 

 

I am thinking buying 2 of them and installing them myself.  But is it worth the effort in term of SQ ?   GermanGuy ?

 

hard to estimate. with reference to the original japanese site offering these output transformers they have a higher inductance and so a better bass response. there was nothing written if they have other improvements implemented like a better core material so the main benefit should be the bass range. but why not just ordering and testing? the output transformers are rather cheap.

 

you can see the higher inductance is also reflected by a lower maximum DC current of 15mA instead of 20mA (no problem in the case of the tu-05), maybe they made the gap smaller as i did with my tu-05 transformer mod - similar core size, higher inductance, so the core can run earlier into saturation.

 

at least for my modded original tu-05 output transformers i can say that there was the benefit of a (slighty) better bass range and extension, but not in resolution or detail, so i would not expect wonders.


Edited by GermanGuy - 2/6/14 at 7:56am
post #3110 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
 

 

hard to estimate. with reference to the original japanese site offering these output transformers they have a higher inductance and so a better bass response. there was nothing written if they have other improvements implemented like a better core material so the main benefit should be the bass range. but why not just ordering and testing? the output transformers are rather cheap.

 

you can see the higher inductance is also reflected by a lower maximum DC current of 15mA instead of 20mA (no problem in the case of the tu-05), maybe they made the gap smaller as i did with my tu-05 transformer mod - similar core size, higher inductance, so the core can run earlier into saturation.

 

at least for my modded original tu-05 output transformers i can say that there was the benefit of a (slighty) better bass range and extension, but not in resolution or detail, so i would not expect wonders.

thanks

 

I will try to find them on EBAY.  Unless you have another reliable source for Europe...

post #3111 of 3712

constantly monitoring "SE output transformers" and similar searches on ebay i have never seen this type offered - (sorry).

post #3112 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
 

constantly monitoring "SE output transformers" and similar searches on ebay i have never seen this type offered - (sorry).

 

Ok, so I will ask Kageyuki Shikada to send me 2 of them

 

But... do you know other transformer, better than the OUT-41-357S,  that will fit INSIDE the original (short) TU-05 casing ?  

post #3113 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

Ok, so I will ask Kageyuki Shikada to send me 2 of them

 

But... do you know other transformer, better than the OUT-41-357S,  that will fit INSIDE the original (short) TU-05 casing ?  


only one, but the primary impedance is too high, is designed for a dl92 running with 90v anode voltage. so up to now no real solution besides the "going the custom made way".

post #3114 of 3712

Sorry, ...Totally Out of topic, but you really have to see this strange tube ! :D

 

the  CHALLENGE-se-833-mx      

 

 60 watts at Pure class A and weights 45 kg's.  The output tube reminds a bit on the Wavac amplifiers. Priced at €30.000 for pair. 

 

 

 

post #3115 of 3712

And this one !!  (work in progress) : Thomas Mayer 211/211 amplifiers 

 

  

post #3116 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

any recommendations for a highend (portable?) music player with balanced output for my modded tu-05

Deleted post sorry my mistake


Edited by bonitomio - 2/7/14 at 5:39am
post #3117 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
 

@Sam Edwards - did not forget your USB charger device, constantly looking for and thinking about a good solution, but up to now i am not satisfied with the energy efficency.

 

btw, i think i will buy a meridian director, it is a really nice device and easy to integrate into my high-end tu-05 mod and it has its own power connector so i can provide a much better than USB power (additonal) internal 5v voltage that can also be used to charge my colorfly c4.

Hey GG,

I think your suggestion of a very large USB charger is a good one. I'll probably mostly listen to mine at work, so I'm not too concerned about needing huge battery life. 

I'm really enjoying the Director and hope you do, too. 

post #3118 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


I have had that with some tubes Sean. It sounds to me like a bad tube or tubes. I found burn in did not sort it out. This unfortunately is the crap shoot that is NOS vintage tubes. Those Tele's I purchased a few weeks ago are quiet as the grave and to be highly recommended in terms of deeper bass extension and top end air. Oh, and the mids!
I think once the headphone festival is over this month Shikada San will be shipping the pair of 3S4 "Tens" to me. I cannot wait to hear what they sound like!
I agree with this. They are very sensitive to vibration and need good isolation, they are wonderful tubes but if the amp is truly going to be portable they would not be my first choice.

I have been using for the past couple of weeks the Telefunken DF96's in conjunction with the Mullard DL92's I am finding this combination to be my favourite so far. It has the creamy warmth and mid's we love about tubes but with the added bonuses of better bass extension and top end sparkly. It is so odd as well considering the warmth that this combination is probably the most transparent and revealing of all the combo's I have found to date!

My advice with Telefunkens is make sure of the diamond base, make sure of Berlin manufacture. These are so completely different to the other Tele's I have purchased and with these I can see what all the fuss is about.

Something tells me they would be great synergy for the 06!

 

So I took my TUR-06 back to Shikada-san at the Fujiya show today and he had a listen and believes there's something wrong with the power supply or transformer (sorry I didn't hear him carefully) and will repair it. At the same time I took the opportunity to "upgrade" my circuitry to v2.0 of the TUR-06 which apparently has a lower noise floor. I didn't hear the difference in the noise floor comparing v1 and v2 but I did hear the v2 having a wider and bigger sound over v1. So it's a welcoming upgrade.

 

I also got a chance to listen to the Fujitsu Ten 1T4SF vs my NEC 1T4SF and the Fujitsu is very nice. Adds a bit more warmth and detail to the NEC however again the 1T4SFs are hard to come by. The Fujitsu Ten 3S4's OTOH are not compatible for the TUR-06.

 

There also was an upgrade to the TU-05b in the power supply or transformer area of the circuitry. I heard the v2 but I didn't compare to the v1 on the spot and to be honest I can't remember the v1 sound I heard back in May when I reviewed the early TU-05b. The TU-05b v2 also sounded quite nice and refined but I didn't to as much critical listening as I did to the TUR-06 v2.

post #3119 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

So I took my TUR-06 back to Shikada-san at the Fujiya show today and he had a listen and believes there's something wrong with the power supply or transformer (sorry I didn't hear him carefully) and will repair it. At the same time I took the opportunity to "upgrade" my circuitry to v2.0 of the TUR-06 which apparently has a lower noise floor. I didn't hear the difference in the noise floor comparing v1 and v2 but I did hear the v2 having a wider and bigger sound over v1. So it's a welcoming upgrade.

 

I also got a chance to listen to the Fujitsu Ten 1T4SF vs my NEC 1T4SF and the Fujitsu is very nice. Adds a bit more warmth and detail to the NEC however again the 1T4SFs are hard to come by. The Fujitsu Ten 3S4's OTOH are not compatible for the TUR-06.

 

There also was an upgrade to the TU-05b in the power supply or transformer area of the circuitry. I heard the v2 but I didn't compare to the v1 on the spot and to be honest I can't remember the v1 sound I heard back in May when I reviewed the early TU-05b. The TU-05b v2 also sounded quite nice and refined but I didn't to as much critical listening as I did to the TUR-06 v2.

 

I'm wondering if I should send my tu-05b in for the upgrade, but can't decide if it's absence is worth it.

post #3120 of 3712
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post
 

 

I'm wondering if I should send my tu-05b in for the upgrade, but can't decide if it's absence is worth it.

I have asked to send me 2 new "upgraded" OUT-41-357S transformers, and I will do the swap myself.   Don't want to let my TU-05 go....

* 

 

Quite simple if you know to use a soldering iron...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.