or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 184

post #2746 of 3704
Yeah, I don't know about the 1T42F. I know the 1T4T is a direct slot in but consumes less power so theoretically should give a little more battery life. Sonically the lower power does not equate to poorer sound though. I very much like my Tungsram 1T4T's

I think from your description of the 06's sound German tubes would be a good match for their air and speed. I think another good match would be the Cifte/Mazda's made in France.

I can report zero ill effects though with the DF96's

These are two pages from a site I use as a reference. GG is right going by this both types are the same

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1t4sf.html
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1aj4.html

I did check quite some time ago with Shikada San and he gave the OK on using the DF96's as a direct slot in replacement for the 05. I would imagine the 06 would be fine as well though I will message him and ask!
post #2747 of 3704

Ian and GG, thanks for the enlightenment.

I learnt a lot here.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

boringer - the second one looks identical to my national df96.

Thanks GG.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

So TWO sets of DF96's! Wonderful Can you see the lettering on the Valvo one? Under the DF96 or around the back of it you should see some letters. Check if it has a "D" if so that is the Hamburg factory code and if it has that then it will probably be the same as the Philips in sound as Valvo made the Philips DF96 I have.

As to the other one. Well right off it is a British Mil-Spec tube, that can be ascertained by the arrow but I need to see any other markings to find out if it is Brimar or Mullard. Looking at the style of printing it could be either.

Can you take a picture of both of these's other markings please that way we can have a go at finding out what they are. I am still not certain about the Barcelona on the stamp tube though.

 

Ian, here's the pictures of that Valvo:

 

And its box:

 
 

As for the third tubes, initially I also thought it was either Brimar or Mullard.

There are no others markings or code besides the shown one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

just found on radiommuseum.org that the df96 is identical to 1f33, 1t4sf, and made a picture search on google. boringer - the third tube is a scoba df96.
 

But GG hits the bull's eye.

The box shows its a SCOBA (though the word "DL94" was crossed-out). :blink:

 

Other than these, there are no other markings on the other tubes, except maybe the Pinnacle.


Edited by Boringer - 11/12/13 at 7:01pm
post #2748 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

just found on radiommuseum.org that the df96 is identical to 1f33, 1t4sf, and made a picture search on google. boringer - the third tube is a scoba df96.

 

1F33........??? :blink::blink::blink: 

 

Wait...... I have those tubes.

I thought the seller had sent me the wrong tubes. :D

Oh boy... my bad again....

 

I have two types of Tesla 1F33. Here's the first one...

 

 

 

 

And here's another one.


Edited by Boringer - 11/12/13 at 7:05pm
post #2749 of 3704
Boringer, thanks for the pictures. I can just see the grey script and it does indeed start with a "D" so they are indeed Hamburg made tubes! The only thing to take note of is what is written on the tube in terms of codes. There are so many tubes with made in Britain or England that were not actually made there. The only give away is the code which tells which factory they were made in. My Philips DL92's say made in Holland but looking at the code they were in fact made in one of Mullards factories in the UK!


Here is a link to the radio museum page that shows they are as GG says, DF96 equivalents
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1f33.html

Going on the link they were developed by RCA and made in Czechoslovakia. It will be interested to hear what they sound like! They look identical to some RCA 1U4's I have, nice sounding tubes!

The Yellow print Tesla's are rather special. They are higher quality ones as can be seen by the "HQ" Script. This means they have been have passed stricter performance tests so should be lovely and quiet, nice catch!

I can't see the Getters on the tubes other than the Valvo. The Valvo are "D" Getters so made in the early 1950's or before.
Edited by ianmedium - 11/12/13 at 7:34pm
post #2750 of 3704

Thank you for your impression on NEC tube Sean.. I am about to order couple set of Mullard tubes to try on the tur06. tube rolling here i come..

post #2751 of 3704

I don't have my tu06 unit yet, but my rolling already started!!  :biggrin:

post #2752 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosive View Post

Thank you for your impression on NEC tube Sean.. I am about to order couple set of Mullard tubes to try on the tur06. tube rolling here i come..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

I don't have my tu06 unit yet, but my rolling already started!!  biggrin.gif

Well done both.

One of the great things about these amps is that in comparison to other tube amps the tubes in these are pretty cheap. Sure some can be more but on the whole figure around $5-$8 per tube on average.

The best tubes in my collection have all been the cheapest ones!

Another thing about these tubes is that they are always coming up for sale (Marconi and Lorenz the exceptions) Also, once you get to know who makes what and wear you can save on getting multiples of different brands when you realize that they were both made in the same factory at the same time even though the printing on the tube says otherwise!

Philips is the biggest for this. You can have a tube made by Valvo, La Radiotechniqe, Cifte, Mazda and some others and they could all have Philips made in Holland printed on the glass, the other way round as well! You can have Mullards made by Philips, Siemens or the French makers mentioned as well.

So. First and foremost try to find out where the tube was made. If your after a Mullard but can only find Philips you may find, as I did, that the Philips was made in the Mullard factory!

Literally millions of these tubes were made for at least thirty years as these in the main were made for military radios of the early portable radio's so never be tempted to pay over the odds as chances are as I said a pair will turn up.

I can also say hand on hear the best tubes I have purchased have been from eBay, the worst from online retailers who charge a great deal more!
post #2753 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

My Telefunkens have been sitting cold and I still have 1xFujitsu Ten (which is pretty much useless 'cos even if I find another one the chances of them matching will take a miracle - still doesn't stop me from trying to find another though :p).

 

GG's comment about the DF96 is the same as the 1T4SF intrigues me though. My understanding according to the tube sales chaps here in Tokyo is the 1T4SF has either 1/2 or 2x the coil winds which makes the battery drain slower (I'm guessing it means 1/2 then). I didn't even know tubes had coils in them...I thought they were just plates :D. More reasons to read up on all this.

Yes, it´s exactly what i was wondering about, because the standard DF95 need 50 mA for heating but the 1t4t and so 1t4sf only need 25 mA.

 

EDIT:

 

Have to correct myself: the standard DF91 needs 50mA, the DF96 in fact also needs only 25mA !


Edited by GermanGuy - 11/13/13 at 11:10am
post #2754 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringer View Post
 

 

1F33........??? :blink::blink::blink:

 

Wait...... I have those tubes.

I thought the seller had sent me the wrong tubes. :D

Oh boy... my bad again....

 

I have two types of Tesla 1F33. Here's the first one...

 

 

 

 

And here's another one.

 

i also have them, the 1F33 work fine ! (but be aware that the 1F34 is a different tube with only 1,25 volt for filament / heater).

post #2755 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Boringer, thanks for the pictures. I can just see the grey script and it does indeed start with a "D" so they are indeed Hamburg made tubes! The only thing to take note of is what is written on the tube in terms of codes. There are so many tubes with made in Britain or England that were not actually made there. The only give away is the code which tells which factory they were made in. My Philips DL92's say made in Holland but looking at the code they were in fact made in one of Mullards factories in the UK!


Here is a link to the radio museum page that shows they are as GG says, DF96 equivalents
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1f33.html

Going on the link they were developed by RCA and made in Czechoslovakia. It will be interested to hear what they sound like! They look identical to some RCA 1U4's I have, nice sounding tubes!

The Yellow print Tesla's are rather special. They are higher quality ones as can be seen by the "HQ" Script. This means they have been have passed stricter performance tests so should be lovely and quiet, nice catch!

I can't see the Getters on the tubes other than the Valvo. The Valvo are "D" Getters so made in the early 1950's or before.

 

Ahaa.. Thanks a lot Ian for the enlightenment.

There are a lot of tubes to be listened to now.

I'll get back with the impression soon. 


Edited by Boringer - 11/13/13 at 6:13am
post #2756 of 3704

@gmahler2 and @xpulosive : tube rolling can be so addictive... :D 

post #2757 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
 
i also have them, the 1F33 work fine ! (but be aware that the 1F34 is a different tube with only 1,25 volt for filament / heater).

 

Yeah... glad to hear that. 

Anyhow, I don't have the 1F34 and will stay away for it from now.... :D

Thanks a lot GG.:beerchug: 

post #2758 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringer View Post
 

@gmahler2 and @xpulosive : tube rolling can be so addictive... :D 

YEs!....I was tube rolling with Schitt Lyr, I'm stopping that I'm little bored with the Lyr.  NOW i'm start with NEW rolling!!  HOW FUN@@@:biggrin:

post #2759 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

bmichels - could you post the source for the cryo lcofc wires you bought again?

GG, here is the picture of my headphone re-recabled by the guy I mentioned to you.  Since one month, he changed supplier and now He is using a new cable, much better than before.

 

post #2760 of 3704

Yes I have ordered set of telefunken and phillips, both df96 tubes.. can't wait to hear the different... still enjoying the stock tubes though..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.