or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 179

post #2671 of 3704
Rudi, so good to see you hear, we all owe you a huge debt of thanks for introducing us to this wonderful company. I love Boringers gold case special!
post #2672 of 3704

yes, looks beautiful!

 

today i repaired and installed the potentiometer and mounted the transformers with screws, also drilled some holes for the feet. intrestingly without potentiometer there were heavy bass sidtortions at higher volume, did not fully understand this before having finalized the schematic, but must have to do with the high input tube impedance and the near to zero output impedance of the colorfly c4.

 

next step will be to get the vu meters installed and working.

post #2673 of 3704
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Rudi, so good to see you hear, we all owe you a huge debt of thanks for introducing us to this wonderful company. I love Boringers gold case special!

You are all welcome , I like and yo see beautiful amps like analog paper , that's why I posted for you all biggrin.gif

Today I met Bohringer , he brought his brand new TU 05 to Headfonia Store , that we can hear TU 5 for the first time .biggrin.gif
SQ is very good with stock tube
We tried to drive Abyss headphone , was distortion , look like lack of power biggrin.gif
post #2674 of 3704

a short status update - tested the new output transformers - they start to distort at medium to high level, it was not the missing potentiometer. don't know why, but have to check this with the manufacturer, maybe the modified gap is to small.

 

tried to solder the potentiometer to a pcb, and this is not that easy as the original potentiometer is modified, no pins to solder it, they are cut, some very small wires instead, at the end the potentiometer was damaged due to the endless attemps to solder new pins. as the colorfly c4 has a nice volume slider i replaced the potentiometer by two 47 kohm resistors.

 

to find out the reason for the distorsion i connected the tango output transformers to the amp, and what a difference - no distorsion, an unbelievable soundstage width and depth, so relaxing, beautiful and just ... i stop here, ... but this amp really growes with the quality of the output transformers.

 

before further looking for a fitting output transformer for all that fits the size of the tu-05 case i have to measure the grid and anode voltages the internal power supply board provide because the output impedance of the dl92 tubes is related to these voltages, normally 5 KOhm when driven with 67,5 volt and 8 KOhm when driven with 90 volt.

 

ianmedium and bmichels - you both will be happy - at the moment i use the RFT df97 - Philips DL92 combo.


Edited by GermanGuy - 11/9/13 at 3:32pm
post #2675 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post
 

a short status update - tested the new output transformers - they start to distort at medium to high level, it was not the missing potentiometer. don't know why, but have to check this with the manufacturer, maybe the modified gap is to small.

 

tried to solder the potentiometer to a pcb, and this is not that easy as the original potentiometer is modified, no pins to solder it, they are cut, some very small wires instead, at the end the potentiometer was damaged due to the endless attemps to solder new pins. as the colorfly c4 has a nice volume slider i replaced the potentiometer by two 47 kohm resistors.

 

to find out the reason for the distorsion i connected the tango output transformers to the amp, and what a difference - no distorsion, an unbelievable soundstage width and depth, so relaxing, beautiful and just ... i stop here, ... but this amp really growes with the quality of the output transformers.

 

before further looking for a fitting output transformer for all that fits the size of the tu-05 case i have to measure the grid and anode voltages the internal power supply board provide because the output impedance of the dl92 tubes is related to these voltages, normally 5 KOhm when driven with 67,5 volt and 8 KOhm when driven with 90 volt.

 

ianmedium and bmichels - you both will be happy - at the moment i use the RFT df97 - Philips DL92 combo.

Hey GG,

Sounds like you're having fun and learning a lot. I envy the amount of time you have for this! I haven't even received my TU-05 but I hope someday I'll be able to get a GG single ended triode. Something that also works with small speakers would be amazing. 

Enjoy!,

Sam

post #2676 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

Hey GG,

Sounds like you're having fun and learning a lot. I envy the amount of time you have for this! I haven't even received my TU-05 but I hope someday I'll be able to get a GG single ended triode. Something that also works with small speakers would be amazing. 

Enjoy!,

Sam


i am working on this topic - as posted i bought this saba grenncones and this week bought and got two additional ones to slighty improve bass:

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

i am waiting for some, sorry a lot of additional parts i ordered but unfortunately arrive next monday, so nothing else to play with this weekend, this includes all the high quality components for the df91 and dl92 stages i will rebuild, the resistors and capacitors and connection terminals for the loudspeakers, ... and so on. you won't  believe how much parts, components, tools and measurement equipment is needed if you want to have everything in place.


Edited by GermanGuy - 11/9/13 at 4:03pm
post #2677 of 3704

Where's Waldo?

 


Edited by woodcans - 11/9/13 at 4:35pm
post #2678 of 3704

some additional parts arrived this week:

 

 

- a nice and precise LC meter to measure capacitors and inductances up to 20mF and 200H (Henry), a prototyping board and a set of wires to be used with this board (will use this board together with the subminature tubes (df61 and dl620) to build a mini tu-05, pcb connectors to connect cables just with a screwdriver, mini switches with hard plated silver contacts, several boards to build tube stages the old fashioned way.


Edited by GermanGuy - 11/9/13 at 4:06pm
post #2679 of 3704

Waldo?

post #2680 of 3704
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPS-Japan-Super-High-End-Potentiometer-RK50112-Poti-logarithmisch-log-RK50/260980819839?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2591124322278430686%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D260980819839%26

what do you think?
post #2681 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosive View Post

@ian I always love the marconi's tube looks.. it really give beautiful colors to the amp

@GG I can not imagine the final cost of tu05 GG version.. please keep up the great works!

Up to now i spent about 6000 euros for measurement equipment, tools, parts, electronic components, soldering /desoldering station, ... .for my tu-05 in addition i need an amplifier case, i will use input attenuators / transformers (silk input transformers) instead of a potentiometer because even when ground is connected (left / right) on the input side the double mono design is not influenced because on the other side of the input transformers there is no ground connection.

Also i think i will design a separated power supply with own case based only on batteries to get rid of the dc/dc step up and step down converters because they are working like switching power supplies, for example the small converters i bought have an internal switching frequency of 50 khz (1 mhz the other type), the only problem is to charge them while the amp is on (charging them all in line will dramatically reduce lifetime of the batteries).
Edited by GermanGuy - 11/9/13 at 5:23pm
post #2682 of 3704
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

Up to now i spent about 6000 euros for measurement equipment, tools, parts, electronic components, soldering /desoldering station, ... .for my tu-05 in addition i need an amplifier case, i will use input attenuators / transformers (silk input transformers) instead of a potentiometer because even when ground is connected (left / right) on the input side the double mono design is not influenced because on the other side of the input transformers there is no ground connection.

Also i think i will design a separated power supply with own case based only on batteries to get rid of the dc/dc step up and step down converters because they are working like switching power supplies, for example the small converters i bought have an internal switching frequency of 50 khz (1 mhz the other type), the only problem is to charge them while the amp is on (charging them all in line will dramatically reduce lifetime of the batteries).

Wow , audio hobby is unlimited
The important think we are happy with our audio gear biggrin.gif
post #2683 of 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post


Up to now i spent about 6000 euros for measurement equipment, tools, parts, electronic components, soldering /desoldering station, ... .for my tu-05 in addition i need an amplifier case, i will use input attenuators / transformers (silk input transformers) instead of a potentiometer because even when ground is connected (left / right) on the input side the double mono design is not influenced because on the other side of the input transformers there is no ground connection.

Also i think i will design a separated power supply with own case based only on batteries to get rid of the dc/dc step up and step down converters because they are working like switching power supplies, for example the small converters i bought have an internal switching frequency of 50 khz (1 mhz the other type), the only problem is to charge them while the amp is on (charging them all in line will dramatically reduce lifetime of the batteries).

:popcorn:

post #2684 of 3704

@woodcans : superb pictures. Please keep them coming.

 

@ian : thanks for the link for those tubes.

 

@xplosive : I'll bring my TH900 on our meet-up if you would like to listen to it.

 

@GG : it always exciting to see your progress on modding... :popcorn:

 

@Rudi : thanks mate... :beerchug:

post #2685 of 3704
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringer View Post

@woodcans
 : superb pictures. Please keep them coming.

@ian : thanks for the link for those tubes.

@xplosive : I'll bring my TH900 on our meet-up if you would like to listen to it.

@GG : it always exciting to see your progress on modding... popcorn.gif

@Rudi : thanks mate... beerchug.gif

You are welcome Boringer
Thank you too fir Sharing Your brand New TU 05 In Gold champagne colourn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.