- 1,285 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Germany
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on 11/1/16 at 6:38pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable dac/amp or just amp for IEM's? Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HiFiMOD Atelier New Portable Head-Amp Nerv Plus and Exclusive Look of Flagship Portable Head-amp Last post on 11/28/15 at 4:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Another Kickstarter: UAMP Last post on 3/6/15 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 Last post on 11/29/16 at 3:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 176
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
And this is the US seller..
Combine these with Phillips, Marconi, or Mullard in the DL stage and you just about (once again, this is to my ears) just about the best balance of sonic qualities one could possibly want!
Again though, this is to my taste, you may find it is different for you.
I am just so happy that there is a more easily available tube to give that fabled Lorenz sound now. By my reckoning there is enough to go around for every owner of this amp (GG and I have a pair of these so we are out of the game!)
Ian, thank for finding for us this great alternative to the Lorenz (that I could never find). I just bought some from the US seller.
Of course, since I like a lot the Philips DL92, I will try this "ALL Philips" combo ( DF96 + DL92), but...
based on the list bellow of DF Stage tube that I already have, which other DF stage tubes you recommend that I also first to pair those DF96 with ?
Sylvania 3S4 (US Army-1945 !)
Mullard 3S4-DL92 (1959)
Philips dl 92/3S4
Tung-sol ken rad dl92 ( US Army-1950)
Siemens DL/92 3S4
I have been trying them today with the Phillips DL92/Mullard DL92 and Ken Rad 3S4 All pair really well with the DF96, the closest to the Marconi/Phillps (Valvo) pairing I would say are the Mullard and Phillips DL92's, the Philips perhaps having slightly more air than the Mullards when comparing to the Marconi's.
Honestly though, this is splitting hair territory. Any of the three DL92's I mention in combination with the Philips DF91 will give within .5% of the Marconi/Phillips/Lorenz combo, it really is that close to my ears and that is hyper critical listening!
With normal listening there really is no difference I feel so I am so happy these Valvo Made Philips have turned up as in combination with the DL92's I mention folks can now hear this wonderful sound (to my ears) that I have been enjoying for so long with the Marconi/Lorenz combo.
Hah - good eye.
I like the look on the cadaver`s face : deep concern.
GG -you are fearless and it is fun and fascinating to following your progress, but I worry: do you by any chance have a vintage Mercedes Benz in your garage with the engine out and pieces all over the place, and it`s been there for the past 10 years ? Or perhaps a sailboat in your backyard, up on wooden blocks with plants growing all over it?
@ GG I haven't heard the mundorf silver cable, Can't wait your impression on the gold plated lcofc wires.
I like silver cable, i find it very useful to brighten up the treble if you find lack of it,
These are my little cable collection: pure silver, pure copper, gold plated copper, and v7mg1l from venture craft also a copper gold plated (if i am not mistaken read from the web).
the pure silver, copper and the copper gold plated i bought them at local jaben. the v7mg1l i bought direct from venturecraft. (price range 50 to 200 dollars)
the stiff venturecraft is my favorite interconnect so far, it gives a very forward and engaging sound, with very open, clear and detail. It gives the most open sound from the other cable i have.
It is really fun to find out the different sound they can make. And I think cable is the last resort for tuning your sound after you find the right source and the right amp for yourself.
@Boringer thank you for your impression, yes i have to spend more time to listen the th900, since last time i only audition it @ jaben. I love all the detail and space of the th900. maybe at that time i was using my major 50 fx. the vocal is so thick with major. I find it very good if you just listening to music like Dia Frampton - lonely, that only has her voice and a guitar at the background. even direct to my lumia with youtube hq source file, it sounds like she sings private in front of me.. what a feeling,, even my ath11ltd can not beat that vocal. Again maybe just newbie ears.. and last time i still using my xduoo xp-1 amp.
Yesterday i was able to a/b idevice + glacier + theorem + ath esw11 with ak100 + tur06 + v7gm1l + ath esw11, on a very brief test with the same source song (Stockfish Record, Where Have All The Flowers Gone 16bit 44khz), I have to say that I still prefer the tur06 setup, theorem does give more clarity and detail on bass and treble side, I never thought that my esw11 can give that details before). bass has more slam and impact on theorem. but somehow i find it less natural, in early part of the song you can hear a low bass come from nowhere, i mean i did not hear the finger taps but the low bass vibration just coming from nowhere. never heard it on my tur06 before. and the analog feels, a long swing effect of the tube sound is the big win for me. i don't know if the theorem can be pair with ak maybe it will give different story, Overall both of the set give same level of clarity. That is just my little impression that might interest you guys,
Have a nice weekend guys!
I have a Kimber/Cardas and Audioquest Evergreen to choose from. My favourite is the cheapest the Audioquest, if just seems to be an open window where as the other two impart something in comparison.
If I could change it I would love it to be half the length it is, Half a meter is more than enough but they don't seem to do shorter runs and they use a special termination on their plugs so I can't cut it up!
i think the main difference is that the tu-05 parts can be reassembled within some hours without any problem.
Are those socketed op amps on the red board in the foreground of your photo?
If they are a surprising sonic improvement can be obtained by changing them for MUSES 02 op amps - assuming that they are compatible of course. I've swapped an op amp in a portable headphone amp to a MUSES 02 and the sound transformation was remarkable. The only caveat is the cost, as MUSES 02 retail for around $50 each.
Second dream system, this DAC, full Nagra electronics , SME/ Koetsu deck and Wilson Alexandria XLF speakers
Very much looking forward to your impressions.
On another note, twenty hours on the Phillips now and they are just sublime, quiet tubes to my ears ( these are the Canadian ones)
- Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Earbuds Round-Up 13 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 20 seconds ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 34 seconds ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 41 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 46 seconds ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 53 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear