- 1,285 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Germany
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on 1/18/17 at 12:17am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable dac/amp or just amp for IEM's? Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HiFiMOD Atelier New Portable Head-Amp Nerv Plus and Exclusive Look of Flagship Portable Head-amp Last post on 11/28/15 at 4:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Another Kickstarter: UAMP Last post on 3/6/15 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 Last post on 11/29/16 at 3:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
AMPSANDSOUNDS KENZIE- what....a....WEEK! The Kenzie is handmade in Southern California with U.S.-sourced parts and custom hand-wound output transformers from Transcender, out of Hollister, CA....
Following the HD600s, I had simply obtained the Superlux 668b as a point of comparison and reference, as it is a well know and popular budget Headphone. My brother also uses a pair that he swears...
In an age where (multi-driver) hybrids are all the rage, the G3 is a single dynamic from a maker known for well-regarded, modestly-price earbuds. I bought these after reading the frenetic praise...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
IntroductionWhen I first reviewed Schiit Audio's original Modi/Vali stack many moons ago, I walked away very impressed to say the least. Not only was it a cost effective solution for the budding...
Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 176
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
And this is the US seller..
Combine these with Phillips, Marconi, or Mullard in the DL stage and you just about (once again, this is to my ears) just about the best balance of sonic qualities one could possibly want!
Again though, this is to my taste, you may find it is different for you.
I am just so happy that there is a more easily available tube to give that fabled Lorenz sound now. By my reckoning there is enough to go around for every owner of this amp (GG and I have a pair of these so we are out of the game!)
Ian, thank for finding for us this great alternative to the Lorenz (that I could never find). I just bought some from the US seller.
Of course, since I like a lot the Philips DL92, I will try this "ALL Philips" combo ( DF96 + DL92), but...
based on the list bellow of DF Stage tube that I already have, which other DF stage tubes you recommend that I also first to pair those DF96 with ?
Sylvania 3S4 (US Army-1945 !)
Mullard 3S4-DL92 (1959)
Philips dl 92/3S4
Tung-sol ken rad dl92 ( US Army-1950)
Siemens DL/92 3S4
I have been trying them today with the Phillips DL92/Mullard DL92 and Ken Rad 3S4 All pair really well with the DF96, the closest to the Marconi/Phillps (Valvo) pairing I would say are the Mullard and Phillips DL92's, the Philips perhaps having slightly more air than the Mullards when comparing to the Marconi's.
Honestly though, this is splitting hair territory. Any of the three DL92's I mention in combination with the Philips DF91 will give within .5% of the Marconi/Phillips/Lorenz combo, it really is that close to my ears and that is hyper critical listening!
With normal listening there really is no difference I feel so I am so happy these Valvo Made Philips have turned up as in combination with the DL92's I mention folks can now hear this wonderful sound (to my ears) that I have been enjoying for so long with the Marconi/Lorenz combo.
Hah - good eye.
I like the look on the cadaver`s face : deep concern.
GG -you are fearless and it is fun and fascinating to following your progress, but I worry: do you by any chance have a vintage Mercedes Benz in your garage with the engine out and pieces all over the place, and it`s been there for the past 10 years ? Or perhaps a sailboat in your backyard, up on wooden blocks with plants growing all over it?
@ GG I haven't heard the mundorf silver cable, Can't wait your impression on the gold plated lcofc wires.
I like silver cable, i find it very useful to brighten up the treble if you find lack of it,
These are my little cable collection: pure silver, pure copper, gold plated copper, and v7mg1l from venture craft also a copper gold plated (if i am not mistaken read from the web).
the pure silver, copper and the copper gold plated i bought them at local jaben. the v7mg1l i bought direct from venturecraft. (price range 50 to 200 dollars)
the stiff venturecraft is my favorite interconnect so far, it gives a very forward and engaging sound, with very open, clear and detail. It gives the most open sound from the other cable i have.
It is really fun to find out the different sound they can make. And I think cable is the last resort for tuning your sound after you find the right source and the right amp for yourself.
@Boringer thank you for your impression, yes i have to spend more time to listen the th900, since last time i only audition it @ jaben. I love all the detail and space of the th900. maybe at that time i was using my major 50 fx. the vocal is so thick with major. I find it very good if you just listening to music like Dia Frampton - lonely, that only has her voice and a guitar at the background. even direct to my lumia with youtube hq source file, it sounds like she sings private in front of me.. what a feeling,, even my ath11ltd can not beat that vocal. Again maybe just newbie ears.. and last time i still using my xduoo xp-1 amp.
Yesterday i was able to a/b idevice + glacier + theorem + ath esw11 with ak100 + tur06 + v7gm1l + ath esw11, on a very brief test with the same source song (Stockfish Record, Where Have All The Flowers Gone 16bit 44khz), I have to say that I still prefer the tur06 setup, theorem does give more clarity and detail on bass and treble side, I never thought that my esw11 can give that details before). bass has more slam and impact on theorem. but somehow i find it less natural, in early part of the song you can hear a low bass come from nowhere, i mean i did not hear the finger taps but the low bass vibration just coming from nowhere. never heard it on my tur06 before. and the analog feels, a long swing effect of the tube sound is the big win for me. i don't know if the theorem can be pair with ak maybe it will give different story, Overall both of the set give same level of clarity. That is just my little impression that might interest you guys,
Have a nice weekend guys!
I have a Kimber/Cardas and Audioquest Evergreen to choose from. My favourite is the cheapest the Audioquest, if just seems to be an open window where as the other two impart something in comparison.
If I could change it I would love it to be half the length it is, Half a meter is more than enough but they don't seem to do shorter runs and they use a special termination on their plugs so I can't cut it up!
i think the main difference is that the tu-05 parts can be reassembled within some hours without any problem.
Are those socketed op amps on the red board in the foreground of your photo?
If they are a surprising sonic improvement can be obtained by changing them for MUSES 02 op amps - assuming that they are compatible of course. I've swapped an op amp in a portable headphone amp to a MUSES 02 and the sound transformation was remarkable. The only caveat is the cost, as MUSES 02 retail for around $50 each.
Second dream system, this DAC, full Nagra electronics , SME/ Koetsu deck and Wilson Alexandria XLF speakers
Very much looking forward to your impressions.
On another note, twenty hours on the Phillips now and they are just sublime, quiet tubes to my ears ( these are the Canadian ones)
- Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 36 seconds ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Pittsburgh HeadPhile Meet! 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread 8 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 8 minutes ago
- › MSUR N650 / N550 / N350 any experience? 8 minutes ago
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Superlux HD-668 B by snapacap
- › TY Hi-Z G3 by loomisjohnson
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear