- 1,893 Posts. Joined 7/2004
- Location: North Carolina
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on 11/1/16 at 6:38pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable dac/amp or just amp for IEM's? Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HiFiMOD Atelier New Portable Head-Amp Nerv Plus and Exclusive Look of Flagship Portable Head-amp Last post on 11/28/15 at 4:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Another Kickstarter: UAMP Last post on 3/6/15 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 Last post on 11/29/16 at 3:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 90
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I have to confess something: I prefer my $1000 TU-05 more than my $ 3000 RWA Bellina Pro HPA ( DAC + AMP, with installed a MiniWatt Dario E188CC)
Main reason is not portability (booth are battery operated), but... the BLACK SILENT background of the TU-05.
Using the same headphone (TH900) & Source (RWAK100),With the RWA I always hear a little anowing HISS.. while with TU-05.... NOTHING !
Plus, with the TU-05 I still have room for improvement:
- Better interconnect (already ordered)
- Better Tube combo (tests...tests...tests...tets....)
- better source : RWAK-100s ( with a "REAL" Lino-out and better DAC Chip) instead of my RWL-100 with headphone out.
Edited by bmichels - 7/29/13 at 7:05am
I was so excited when saw it on the facebook.
But after a second thought, I think I would agree with woodcans.
The goldie knob looks a bit too golden, not such as champagne-gold.
Oh boy... I'm hoping the real unit is close to the Luxman champage-gold...
Love your thoughts on the amp as well. I think the silent background is something that not a lot of other tube amps can achieve and speaks greatly of the design.
As to the gold, I must admit it does look a little rosy to me, hopefully it is the photo rather than actual, though I will hold judgement until i see the whole unit!
Well... Since I already have the RWAK100 I will rather order the RWAK120-s when/if Vinnie make it available.
Oh boy! I cannot wait to see this!
Just remember my nickname for you... Heath Robinson.. I expect something as outrageous as one of his inventions!
Well, he do custom made Stuff. I called him friday and asked for coper 10" strait + RA, and for €80 he shipped it today :-). Super Nice Guy.
GG & ianmedium.
A Bauhaus inspired steam-punk case with a faux snakeskin carry strap would be very rock`n'roll.
ok, some details, but really early prototype status:
as inner metal body for the base i use this:
this i a baking dish i bought just because i found it looking nice. really on the other side it has a nice carbon finish:
i will use it bottom up and will put some wood around:
i cutted some balsa wood pieces. all the pieces are cutted slightly to large, but when cutted into shape, glued together and painted with mahagony wood stain it will look much better.
there will be no edges, everything will be round, round corners, seamlessly integrating the metal carbon inner body.
there will be four feet with dampers integrated and mounted in the corners of the metal plate, adjustable in height. under the baking dish is enough room to also mount a power supply and to get it heavy enough with four tubes filled with sand.
also the baking dish is used for some electrical and rf shielding of the power supply.
the wooden front will have holes for input, headphone, power on/off.
to give you a feeling for the size, here are two pictures with amp:
obviously the construction to decouple the amp from the base (heavy plate, dampers) is missing at the moment.
this here is a damper part that can be mounted using M8 screws (feet with integrated rubber damping):
this is a complete very small damper used for rc model cars:
Edited by GermanGuy - 7/29/13 at 9:27am
ok but first the pink panther - lady gaga special edition .
One of your pictures raises a question I have been pondering. I wonder what the amp sounds like payed flat as you show it. There is more surface area that way for stability..
I think I might pop down to that kitchen counter place and see of I can get hold of some more marble and rig something up.
I must say I find there has been a not insubstantial benefit to the oak cones on marble base!
Oh, and my experiment with the oak cones under my 801 was a resounding success as well. Best way I can describe it is the effect is very similar to the amp.
Mass choir and large scale orchestral is where it is felt most in that the orchestra or choir take on greater depth and resolution which really gives a more palpable sense of scale to the music.
I know some mock these experiments as they feel portable gear does not benefit but that is simply not true! No matter the size of device it is electronics and thus susceptible to external vibrations!
Ok. As I wrote this I am going to construct a marble support to support both amp and 801, decouple them with the oak cones and see what happens!
GG, your an inspiration my friend!
And to others, why not give these things a go? It's not like all this cost a lot. Heck, most of the things I have tried are pennies in cost.. Or free!
i see no technical or other reason (but the fact that it is more stable and i am usually listen to music while lying on my bed) not to use the amp in this position.
all posts here about sound, tube combos etc. were based on listening to the amp in this position (both the amp's and nearly always my position).
Edited by GermanGuy - 7/30/13 at 4:36pm
sometimes it is good to listen to a not so excellent or just another tube combo to really appreciate the best combo or your dream set.
after some time testing the valvo df91 - valvo dl92 combo with tube rings i switched back to my lorenz df96 - tung-sol ken rad dl92 dream set. what a difference in any aspect (maybe except the tube ring bass quality improvement).
and good luck i ordered and have 3x lorenz df96 and 6x tung-sol 3S4 aka dl92.
p.s. i have not forgotten that one member here (hi ianmedium) asked me why i bought six tung-sol's, but now i can honestly answer that this must have been intuition!
- Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › DAC for SR-009/BHSE 20 seconds ago
- › Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread) 1 minute ago
- › Noble BTS 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD598 Cs 3 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-EX1000 and EX600: First Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › WTS Hidizs AP100 Brand New Unused 6 minutes ago
- › DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1... 7 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear