Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 73

post #1081 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

oh my goodness GG, This is looking good! I cannot wait to see the end result!

      I now agree smile.gif  as on my pc´s TFT screen the picture i posted looks much much better than on my tablet´s screen (and the light at home is only 2700  Kelvin !!!!).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

SOME GOOD NEWS ABOUT TUBES FROM SHIKADA SAN!

I wrote to Shikada san today about the possibility of using DF96 tubes in place of DF91's, this is his response..


"The DF96 is a little big μ factor and half the power of the heater. However, the bias voltage is no problem at 4.5V, and there is a possibility that you can use no problem."

So it looks like we have another choice now! Let the hunt begin!

 

This is great news. i was looking for an socket adaptor for the df96 for weeks now because there was a geman language article that the df96 could be adopted to be used instead of a df91 !!!

post #1082 of 3519

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DF-96-Lorenz-Neu-aus-altem-Bestand-OVP-DF-96-Lorenz-NOS-own-box-/230885298241?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item35c1d61041#ht_2636wt_942

 

1 to 20 Lorenz df96 on ebay from germany. the second seller becker-team i had already contact to, it´s a trustable source!


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/19/13 at 4:08am
post #1083 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

      I now agree smile.gif
  as on my pc´s TFT screen the picture i posted looks much much better than on my tablet´s screen (and the light at home is only 2700  Kelvin !!!!).


This is great news. i was looking for an socket adaptor for the df96 for weeks now because there was a geman language article that the df96 could be adopted to be used instead of a df91 !!!

Just out of interest, why would you need a socket adaptor? It is seven pins from what I can see, just like the DF91, Shikada San made no mention of needing an adaptor, am I missing something?
post #1084 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


Just out of interest, why would you need a socket adaptor? It is seven pins from what I can see, just like the DF91, Shikada San made no mention of needing an adaptor, am I missing something?

There was an german article that you need one or two resistors integrated into an adaptor  so that the tube for the amp is fully compatible as if it were a df91, if shikada san says you don´t need to adapt bias or voltage, it´s even better!


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/19/13 at 3:31am
post #1085 of 3519

after two days of listening to the val rl - lrz (valvo red label df91 - lorenz dl92) combo giving this combo a chance to burn in and to fight for the dream set award i went back to the val rl - phl combo (valvo red label df91 - philips dl92) and couldn´t be happier now.

 

the whole time listening to the val rl - lrz combo i did not know what it is, but was unsatisfied, tried all my headphones, didn´t like the sound, at the end i recognized, that it is not the benefit but the problem of this combo that at a first look it seems to combine the benefits of both the lrz-phl combo and the val rl - ts kr combo (valvo red label df91 - tung-sol ken rad dl92).

 

The problem for me is that the overall sound and soundstage experience is constantly switching between a soundstage top-down as sum of the details and highs and a soundstage bottom-up based on the echoes and reflections even within one track related to the frequency distribution. something weird and not fun to listen to, because you constantly but unwittingly notice that and this results in that feeling of beeing unsatisfied not to say nearly angry (f*** nothing sounds as i want it ... ).

 

after having had this experience and the tubes had some additional burn in time, my current dream set again is the now again beloved val rl - phl combo (valvo red label df91 - philips dl92) because of the high level of clarity and transperency but also great bottom up bass-based presentation of soundstage and space!


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/19/13 at 4:07am
post #1086 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 
Thanks Ian. They are Sylvania mil spec & Siemens:
 
 
 

 

 

Any comments how this combo sounds would be highly appreciated :-)

post #1087 of 3519

ianmedium - you have posted your comments about the mullard df91 just at the right moment because i was thinking of a warmer sounding df91 to combine it with the the not so warm sounding tung-sol ken rad dl92!

post #1088 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

after two days of listening to the val rl - lrz (valvo red label df91 - lorenz dl92) combo giving this combo a chance to burn in and to fight for the dream set award i went back to the val rl - phl combo (valvo red label df91 - philips dl92) and couldn´t be happier now.

the whole time listening to the val rl - lrz combo i did not know what it is, but was unsatisfied, tried all my headphones, didn´t like the sound, at the end i recognized, that it is not the benefit but the problem of this combo that at a first look it seems to combine the benefits of both the lrz-phl combo and the val rl - ts kr combo (valvo red label df91 - tung-sol ken rad dl92).

The problem for me is that the overall sound and soundstage experience is constantly switching between a soundstage top-down as sum of the details and highs and a soundstage bottom-up based on the echoes and reflections even within one track related to the frequency distribution. something weird and not fun to listen to, because you constantly but unwittingly notice that and this results in that feeling of beeing unsatisfied not to say nearly angry (f*** nothing sounds as i want it ... ).

after having had this experience and the tubes had some additional burn in time, my current dream set again is the now again beloved val rl - phl combo (valvo red label df91 - philips dl92) because of the high level of clarity and transperency but also great bottom up bass-based presentation of soundstage and space!

This happens to me sometimes and proves the need for a bit of burn in, I have been caught out as you have read in the past with this. Burn in is so important

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

Any comments how this combo sounds would be highly appreciated :-)

I have the reverse of this combo and the sound is rather magical I find, very airy and detailed but with a nice bottom end kick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

ianmedium - you have posted your comments about the mullard df91 just at the right moment because i was thinking of a warmer sounding df91 to combine it with the the not so warm sounding tung-sol ken rad dl92!

I was very very impressed with this combo last night, very surprised as I thought with the Mullards in the VG stage it would be a bit heavy sounding but no. As I say, it lost a tiny edge on air compared to using my German tubes but it made up for that with a little more weight in the bass and even though not quite the air all the details were there and transients were nice and fast! I will be interested to hear what you think.

The other thing of course is that in truth this is an all Mullard set up! For my Phillips are from the Mullard factory in the UK as are my Mullards! It just goes to show, what is printed on the box or glass does not mean it is going to have that sound signature which is why it is so important to listen and forget what it says on the glass!
post #1089 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DF-96-Lorenz-Neu-aus-altem-Bestand-OVP-DF-96-Lorenz-NOS-own-box-/230885298241?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item35c1d61041#ht_2636wt_942

 

1 to 20 Lorenz df96 on ebay from germany. the second seller becker-team i had already contact to, it´s a trustable source!

 

It is with great regret that I had to back out of this eBay deal. signed up to buy but during my PMs with the dealer they mentioned they only had one so I had to withdraw from the deal.

 

So GG, if you do talk to them, please do send them my apologies. I needed a pair.

post #1090 of 3519
Guys, just hold off on the DF96's for a moment if you will. After reading GG's comments I wanted to get clarification from Shikada San about the resistor thing. I am sure it will be OK as the bias thing matches but I want to be extra sure. Hopefully I will hear back today and let you know.

I am just being over cautious as I do not want anyones amp damaged!
post #1091 of 3519
Ah, and that teaches me to read posts when I get woken up by noise in the early hours of the morning! Forget what I said above. But I will still post what I hear from Shikada san.
post #1092 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

It is with great regret that I had to back out of this eBay deal. signed up to buy but during my PMs with the dealer they mentioned they only had one so I had to withdraw from the deal.

 

So GG, if you do talk to them, please do send them my apologies. I needed a pair.


in the text with details there was i think missunderstandingly mentioned 1 to 20 similar tubes but seams it is related to the shipping cost , so sorry for that!

post #1093 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

SOME GOOD NEWS ABOUT TUBES FROM SHIKADA SAN!

I wrote to Shikada san today about the possibility of using DF96 tubes in place of DF91's, this is his response..


"The DF96 is a little big μ factor and half the power of the heater. However, the bias voltage is no problem at 4.5V, and there is a possibility that you can use no problem."

So it looks like we have another choice now! Let the hunt begin!

 

Thanks a lot, Ian.

Now, this tickles my bad habit on tube hunting...  blink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DF-96-Lorenz-Neu-aus-altem-Bestand-OVP-DF-96-Lorenz-NOS-own-box-/230885298241?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item35c1d61041#ht_2636wt_942

 

1 to 20 Lorenz df96 on ebay from germany. the second seller becker-team i had already contact to, it´s a trustable source!

 

GG, it seems they only have 1 unit left on the store?

Anyhow, I drop them an email asking whether they still have few more.

Thanks a lot for the link. beerchug.gif

 

EDIT : at time of writing, it seems AnakChan also face the same issue then.


Edited by Boringer - 7/19/13 at 8:52am
post #1094 of 3519

Hi, may I know what kind of tubes can be used with these amps? Thanks!

post #1095 of 3519

df91, df 904 , df96?    dl92 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.