- 4,462 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on 11/1/16 at 6:38pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best portable dac/amp or just amp for IEM's? Last post on 4/25/15 at 6:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- HiFiMOD Atelier New Portable Head-Amp Nerv Plus and Exclusive Look of Flagship Portable Head-amp Last post on 11/28/15 at 4:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Another Kickstarter: UAMP Last post on 3/6/15 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- MASS-Kobo Headphone Amp. model404 Last post on 11/29/16 at 3:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread. - Page 72
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I have noticed some microphonics with this combo when using the PFIX's but not with the Kaede's. I will need some more time with them as well as some more burn in on the tubes.
How many hours have you on the tubes right now, I find a lot of the noises go away after 20 hours or so but there is no set standard for that. For instance my Marconi's still ting when the volume knob is turned but it never interferes with the sound when listening.
More worrisome to me is a sound that sounds like tissue paper being scrunched. It goes if I gently tap the tube but sometimes comes back. I have had that with Mullards. I should plug a pair in again and give them some decent hours and see if it goes away.
This is what Microphonics sound like! (though I am not much of a fan of the guy showing this it does clearly show what microphony is!)
Thanks for the info. It's tinging then, not microphonics. And no paper crunching, thank goodness. I am familiar with that.
here are the wood pieces for my carrying pocket after the first time applying the mahagony wood stain with different paint techniques. will then polish them and then painting again, polish... paint ...polish ..... until they all look more similar and a little darker:
Edited by GermanGuy - 7/19/13 at 4:10am
Knowing the Tungsrams are very very similar to the Lorenz it will be interesting to compare!
Bmichels, has your amp arrived yet?
I wrote to Shikada san today about the possibility of using DF96 tubes in place of DF91's, this is his response..
"The DF96 is a little big μ factor and half the power of the heater. However, the bias voltage is no problem at 4.5V, and there is a possibility that you can use no problem."
So it looks like we have another choice now! Let the hunt begin!
I decided that I did not care for the Tungsram/Marconi combo. It felt a little glassy to my ears. I think this shows how important it is to make a good match with pairing tubes as GG has shown. Both tubes are on their own excellent, the Marconi's paired with Lorenz and the Tungsrams paired with Mil-spec Sylvanias work so well together, just wonderful.
So, I thought I would do something radical and two surprises came from it and I am very very happy with both surprises!
I got the Phillips 3S4's out and.. The Mullard DF91's! I have not listened to the DF91 Mullards in months for two reasons. One is they felt a little too warm matched with all the 3S4 tubes I had at the time and two, they had that tissue paper rustle kick in occasionally and that was really annoying.
Getting the Mullards out of their boxes I noticed the pins were not up to my usual standards. These were early days tubes,before I had refined my cleaning regime. So I set to with the nail buffer and alcohol and the pins looked much better!
Plugged them all in, burned them in for an hour (more for the Mullards benefit than the phillips!) and started to listen to my test tracks..
Wowsers! This is now one of my best combo's. Gone was the tissue paper rustle so hopefully that noise is down to less than clean pins.
And now what were once slightly dark and warm tubes are now detailed, rich, creamy, detailed (yes, I know I am repeating myself!) Full of texture and atmosphere. Strings on a violin are waxy on the high notes and so textured on the lower notes.
Micro details abound within the sound stage, Saxophone takes on another level of breathiness on the 24/96 take five track. On the Waltz with Debby 24/96 recording the first track has some wonderful brush work on the drums, it feels three dimensional, the texture of the brushes changes as the stroke pass is completed, its like a wave.. Wonderful!
These Mullards lose perhaps a tiny amount of air compared to the Lorenz's/Tungsram's and Siemens but it is so small and what the Mullards bring to the table is so nice that I can live with the slight lack of air (we are talking minuscule here!)
What a shock this has been for me!
Edited by ianmedium - 7/18/13 at 9:43pm
- Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 19 seconds ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Flagship ciem reload ! 26 seconds ago
- › The custom art Harmony 8.2 European demo tour 27 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 59 seconds ago
- › Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Choosing between three headphones (also should I get an amp?) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear