listened to some tube combos yesterday focussing on the mullards and my top combos:
mullard df91 combined with
tung-sol mil spec dl92:
- you get all the benefits of the mullards, great bass texture, quality and decay, miss some bite, attack, speed, sparkle, clarity
- would be my top 'sweet and relaxing' combo dream set, so call it dream set (no.3)
- good compromise, less bass quality, but more clarity, sparkle, ..
- good sounding in its own way, hides the mullard bass enhancements, but how to say moving all this properties more to the mids, highs
lorenz df96 - tung-sol mil spec dl92:
- won the contest again to be my dream set (no.1), nearly the bass quality of the mullards, but more clarity, detail, great allrounder
telefunken 1u4 - lorenz dl92:
- fights to be my dream set (no.2), and it is, the clarity is amazing, if you directly compare it to dreamset ds no.1, ds no.1 sounds somewhat unprecise, boomy, bassy (but only in direct a/b comparison, differences are so small), great allrounder, very neutral
telefunken 1u4 mil spec - tesla 1L33 (pin 1 removed):
- a special recommendation for this combo, fast, hard attack, ultra precise, speed, speed, agressive, slighty brighter sounding, no allrounder, but listen to some pink floyd or for example stratovarius - vision - black diamond - and you hear what i mean. my dream set (no.4) (for this kind of music) - how to say it's more like a techno party, not the relaxing armchair.
to explain, there is no absolute rating when calling the sets no.1, no.2,.., my decision to select and to listen to one of this sets is also based on the music i want to listen to and my general mood.
Posted this some time ago.
A tube combo i always come back to is the double non-standard RFT DF97 - Philco 1S4 combo.
Starting yesterday i listen to the Tesla 1F33 - Tesla 1L33 combo and really like this combo.